The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fox Help

My sister has had a fox hanging around her house for the last year or so. It plays with her dog and she has gotten very fond of it. She's always said it wasn't the best looking fox but now it is looking really mangy (her words). It is also hanging out under her porch, something it has never done before. Granted, it is colder than it has been around here in years, but still.

She already feeds it the leftover dog food so I figured it wouldn't be too hard for her to slip it something for the mange. I tried searching in Off Course and found mention of Ivermectin but not the dosage. If I recommend something and she ends up killing the fox - she will kill me! She's my big sister and no matter how long in the tooth we get some things will never change.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have her do the Ivermectin...It works and is safe...

I once figured out with a vet friend of mine and I treat all the mangy foxes that come around. She really needs to because her dog will easily get it. That's why I started doing it.

Give it a 200lbs dose every other day for a month and then once a month after that. The scabies keeps hatching and that's why you keep doing it.

It needs to be a high dose to work.

Good luck.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Inject raw chicken legs with Cattle Ivomec at 1/10 of a cc per ten pounds. That's the standard anti heartworm, anti-worm dose that hunters use on their hounds. I'd guess a fox probably weighs about 20 lbs, so once you get the mange under control she can keep him healthy with a monthly chicken leg. A 200 lb dog would take 2 cc of Ivomec, although I have to say I'm math challenged.

If he has heartworms, you might kill him with a dose that big.

Horse ivermectin paste would be cheaper at a two hundred pound dose, but none of the dog people I know use it.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Yeah, I meant the horse ivermectin. For mange to be treated you should use 100 times the strength you would use for worms.

Thumbs up Watch the dose carefully!

I was told to use .5 cc in a chicken neck/ hot dog. The dose is crucial or you can kill him. He's weakened if he's got mange. They don't weigh 20 lbs either imho. I'd go very light and watch for a response. Ask a vet!! You can get liquid ivomec at the feed store but it may come in different concentrations.

Research this as I've seen it addressed several times over on the foxhunting forum! Good for you for caring. They are lovely animals and can be habituated to humans & farm life as you've found!

I googled red fox weight and found a lot of variation. Here's a good link:
    http://www.terrierman.com/foxsize.htm

Max weight is 24 pounds for an adult and minimum is about 6.5 pounds. Size will vary greatly by region. .2 of a cc of ivomec would cover a healthy fox up to 20 pounds. .5 would be more than double that dosage.

The critical factor would be the amount of ivermectin by volume--the active strength of the dose.

Wink

so far every liquid I have seen has had the same dosage whether it be for cattle or not. But good pactice is always be aware of mg/kg in a dose.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

The percentage of ivermectin in horse paste is usually 1.87%. The percentage of ivermectin in the cattle liquids is 1%. I believe the percentage of ivermectin in the horse liquids is also 1%. I just googled the horse ivermectin liquids and ivermectin IS 1%.

lcw - is this at K's house? If so, I've seen him pass thru my yard, too.

There's been a couple threads on this in the hunting forum, but I think you've gotten good info here, too.
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

while you are at it, trap him/her in a hav-a-hart trap (you can borrow the dog sizes from animal control) and have your vet sedate him/her and give him/her a rabies shot and a distemper shot.

I once boarded where a dog fox ate dinner fed him by a man who lived in a trailer by the barn. After eating with him for a while (grits and gravy and chicken and cat food) the dog fox brought his vixen and their 2 children up for dinner each night. The Canada geese who lived on the island in the pond were very happy that the foxes had something else to eat besides one of their goslings.

Thanks everyone!

RnG - yep that's the one. She is very fond of it. I haven't seen it but her stories about how it plays with Boomer are very cute.