The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Circuit Saddles??

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...cd2=1232227568

This is the saddle I might be getting and I was wondering does anyone have one?? It's on sale for 700$. I can only affored up to 800$ Used ones are out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany! View Post
    Used ones are out.
    Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

I have the Circuit Pro and like it a lot. It's comfortable, fits my horse, and seems pretty durable. The one thing I don't like is that the flap is a bit stiff but I imagine with oiling, it will soften up. I think it's worth the money.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

I had a Circuit Elite saddle for a while and for the money, I think they are great saddles. I would have kept it except it didn't fit my high withered narrow TB. Comfy saddle and it broke in fairly easy.

great thanks.

Why no used saddles? You can get a super nice quality used saddle for your price.

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    Why no used saddles? You can get a super nice quality used saddle for your price.
    I aready found the saddle that im buying.

I bought one of the Circuit Elite's for one my growing kids as the "in between saddle" as I knew he was on a big growth spurt and would be moving out of ponies very soon. I could not see spending a fortune on a saddle that would have to be replaced in a year or less.

I can't express how deeply disappointed we were with this saddle. Not like the old Circuit's at all. The new, "upgraded" leather that they use is akin to cardboard and never softened up despite oilings. We got rid of it after a few months. The old motto "you get what you pay for" comes to mind regarding this saddle. Better to spend your money on a quality used saddle, IMO.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I bought a Circuit Elite in September 06. The leather on the flaps was stiff, but softened up a good deal with oil and use. By spring, it looked like a much more expensive saddle (IMO). It's a nice saddle for the money, and I don't think you'll be sorry.. unless you're accustomed to multi-thousand dollar saddles.

FWIW, I paid $700 for my Circuit. About a year later, my horse had badly outgrown it and I took it in to put on consignment. Resale value was down because rats had chewed the cantle and the leather edging the pommel. I asked the woman how much I should ask for it, as I had no idea.. she said that, because of the damage, I probably couldn't get $600-$700 for it. I only PAID $700! She absolutely could not tell by looking that it was a $700 saddle to start with. I ended up putting it up for $450, and it sold within a couple months.

I owned the Circuit Pro (not anymore but had it for a couple of years), and honestly I think the Collegiate Diploma is a MUCH nicer saddle in the same price range. I had issues with my Circuit saddle leather not holding the dye (like where my calves were, the flaps turned black... and under the stirrup leathers too)
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Trainer has one and likes it a lot. I have also ridden in it, and I liked it a lot. Not the nicest thing on the market, but overall a good buy.

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post
    I owned the Circuit Pro (not anymore but had it for a couple of years), and honestly I think the Collegiate Diploma is a MUCH nicer saddle in the same price range. I had issues with my Circuit saddle leather not holding the dye (like where my calves were, the flaps turned black... and under the stirrup leathers too)
    I have the Diploma now and prefer it, but it sells for ~$1000. OP's budget is $800.

I bought a circuit elite like 4 years ago but upgraded to a butete this summer and the circuit elite was great and it broke in super easy but I think the dover saddles aren't that great anymore. The leather or something must have changed.

I aready found the saddle that im buying.
    So then why are you asking our opinions????

Personally, I don't like the circuit saddles. I've tried one (VERY recently, though it was a different model). The leather is cheap and it looks like it's going to bleed all over breeches.

You can totally do better with a good quality used saddle such as a Stubben. Or even those M. Toulouse saddles - they look better than the circuit - as do the Collegiates.

Everyone has personal opinions, but I'd say you can't go in to saddle searches with your mind closed.
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

I had the same budget, and I got a fantastic used Stubben. 2001 model, I think, only used a handful of times. Used was the way to go for me.

I liked them a few years ago. But as already mentioned, the quality recently has really gone downhill . It's a shame since the old ones really were a good deal.
    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

Hate them. The leather is cheap, dyed and cardboardy and the twist is SO wide that I felt like my hips were going to pop out of their sockets.

mabye I'll consider used.

mabye I'll consider used.
    Considering used is not a bad thing at all. You can find some really nice used saddles of high quality in your budget. And a used saddle is a LOT less work! No having to break it in!!!
    --Chris--