The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Been out

Sorry to get back to you all so late: We've been to Virginia to visit my son at school.

Off the beaten track is exactly what we want! I've done the same thing as one you - missed something great right around the corner...which is why I am so thankful for the suggestions. I'm taking notes - seriously!!

Eating where Rowling wrote would be very cool...as would visiting Arthur's seat at sunset...and we can ride the Queen's ponies??? I love librarys anyway...so The Library sounds great. There is something comforting about being surrounded by books. There are so many things I want to do...oh, how I wish for unlimited time and funding

I'm embarrassed to admit I had never heard of Greyfriar's Bobby. I cried.

Oh!! And would I have ever DREAMED that the word would be pronounced "kay-lee." Good heavens.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

hahahaahah yeah my flatmate laughed his head off the first time he heard me pronounce the word Ceilidh. In the Highlands there are some places you can only pick up Gaelic radio stations - those are really fun! And if you like being surrounded by books you'd definitely love the Library Bar, it's a cool place.

There's an awesome Children's Museum further down the Royal Mile, on the right hand side kind of in the midst of the tacky touristy shops. On the other side, a bit further down than the Children's Museum, there's a Childrens 2nd hand bookshop next to a fudge place, Mediterranean restaurant, and antique map store. It's seriously one of my favorite places in Edinburgh. When my friend and I first found it we must have spent over an hour re reading our favorite childhood stories.

I would only go up Arthur's Seat if the weather's clear. It's just not worth it if it's gross/misty outside. On that note, if you are interested in doing some hiking in the Highlands, PM me and I can give you a name of a qualified mountain guide & some outdoors centres. There are no marked trails in Scotland, so it's really not something you should attempt on your own unless you are really experienced with navigation in all kinds of weather.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey