The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default It was minus 5 degrees F last night!!

Minus 5 degrees F is about as cold as I remember it getting here on the farm in Virginia near Orlean. I'm so happy our barn is relatively warm and all the horses had on heavy stable blankets or their turnouts. The temps really fell quickly last night, it was 8 at dinnertime. Hope we dont' have too many frozen pipes around and thank heavens the power has stayed on during the cold spell.
    I know this is nothing for those of you in Canada but we are thin skinned with thin blood in Virginia and this is COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

How cold was/is your place? We are only up to -4F right now!! Checking the high temp since midnight and that was only 4 above!! Hope we get a warmning spell, this has been going on for three days now with more in sight!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Guess I shouldn't itchbay about the overnight low (high 20s) here in Jacksonville! Talked to the NY farm and they were WELL below zero! oofah. So when DOES global warming start? (just kidding don't rip me a new one....)
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

We're up to a whopping 0 here in Hamilton. So far so good on pipes, but keeping the buckets open is a total PITA. My barn is just not insulated. Nice and "airy" in the summer, but airy in this just doesn't quite do it. At least the wind is down today and the horses seem happy outside for a bit.

-5 this morning doing barn chores. Once you get moving around the temps aren't bad at all...it was actually gorgeous out there this morning. Nothing like cold air for a beautiful sunrise!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Sissies!!!!!!!

This time yesterday morning, it was -29 F here. And I'm not even in Canada.

ETA: Someplace in Maine had -50 F either last night or the night before.

Sissies?? Now THOSE are fighting words!! We prefer "Candy A$$es thank you very much!!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

It has been below zero a few nights now...hitting single digits during the day. The BO said it was 30? when she went in the barn in the AM, the horses body heat keeps things warm.
    I'm very sorry I only put a light cotton thermal on my girlie, she should have had a real blanket last night, it was really frigid. Birds aren't even coming to the feeders, it's so cold!

But that won't stop me from riding later today

It has been -18 here for two nights! It is warming up - right now it is plus 4 - however the winds have kicked in, so the feels like is still way below zero. But a warming trend non the less. Thank goodness. I have felt like crying - I am so tired of feeling like a stuffed snowman as I waddle out the door - plus my water hydrant froze in the barn, so now I am hauling water.

I still don't know how the pioneers survived. (I guess many didn't).

Minus 24 here last night, it has now warmed up to a nice balmy minus 12.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Yesterday night it was -32.

Last night "only" got down to -22.

It was so cold yesterday that we lost water pressure to most of the facility as the heater in the pump room couldn't keep it warm enough. Also, the internet FROZE. Literally. As in, when I said to the tech guy, "So is it just so cold that the wires froze, too?" he said, "Basically, yes!"

My girl who rarely wears a blanket at all is currently wearing THREE.

I am of the opinion that this all just counts as Too Damn Cold!
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Kementari View Post
    I am of the opinion that this all just counts as Too Damn Cold!
    Me too!
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

It was 88 degrees yesterday and the horses have a full coat of winter hair.

The country needs to do a heat exchange. If we balance it all out the median temperature between the two places would make for a pretty fine winter.

It seems like all the 'global warming'(Which I don't believe- in the 80's they were predicting another ice age it's all fear-mongering) is hitting here. The rest of the country is in a deep freeze.
    Last edited by 5; Jan. 17, 2009 at 12:02 PM.

I'm near Chicago, we had 2 days in a row with temps below zero. Not sure what the overnight low was, but during the day it was -15 or so. Right now it's 17 - a heat wave!

It's 0 right now.

Default YIPEE

We're up to 19 F!!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

It was -37 at my house and i don't live in Canada. None of our cars started, except for my truck(i told my husband that this is the reason i loved my truck)
    But the horses were in and blanketed.

Not sure what it was last night...single digits for sure. it was 12 F at 7:30 am and the sun had come up a bit by then so I'd bet we were single digits. We had the water on the farm freeze at the pressure tank last night...no water anywhere and that was pretty much the theme of the day was getting the water back on and to the horses. We rarely go below the teens here.

I just got off the phone with a friend who is judging in West palm- she was complaining that she had to wear hand warmers because it was only 69 there today- I told her that was over 80 degrees warmer than it was here yestarday morning - and I really didn't feel bad for her. It was 18 here today and it felt almost warm.