The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Smartpak's Smartgain 4

I have been eyeing this supplement for about 6 months. I have looked on a few different BB's and haven't been real successful in locating actual opinions on how it works; only really that people are feeding it in response to a feed question.

So I have a hard keeping OTTB mare. Right now she looks AMAZING (see here: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...y/P1010553.jpg). Teeth in great shape, etc etc etc. She is in consistant work (showing 1st level schooling some 2nd/3rdish stuff). Right now the pasture sucks but I do have a nic grassy paddock behind the barn they get to go on for like an hour a day.

She gets:

1lb Buckeye Gro N Win ration balancer 2xday
    2lbs crimped oats 2xday
    0.5lb Buckeye Ultimate Finish Rice Bran fat supplement (20%) 2xday
    1Tbsp 12:12 salt balancer 2xday
    15g Probios (5g AM 10g PM)
    100mg HA
    10lbs organic O/A
    10-15lbs very nice coastal

This feeding and exercise routine has her looking like she does in above pic. The thing I am running into is that she is not the worlds best eater. She is very picky. Since the rice bran supplement is powder, I HAVE to put warm water in her feed and make it very soupy or she wont touch it. And sometimes she doesnt "lick it clean". I also have to buy the probios, the fat supplement, and probably add flax back in since I need more omega 6's than 3's since the rice bran is high in omega 3's.

I like that the Smartgain has the flax, PRE and PRO biotics (I used to have her on Ration Plus a prebiotic but no one carries it locally anymore), and that it has the fenugreek which is an appetite stimulant, which wouldnt hurt her!

I guess I worry b/c Im the kind of thinker -- "If it ain't broke dont fix it" and obviously she looking GREAT. But the fact that it does offer a little more of things I like AND I only have to feed TWO OUNCES (key point as she will only eat a certain volume and then shuts down).

I would just really like to hear actual experiences with the supplement before I try it out. Any opinions or experiences would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    I have been eyeing this supplement for about 6 months. I have looked on a few different BB's and haven't been real successful in locating actual opinions on how it works; only really that people are feeding it in response to a feed question.

So I have a hard keeping OTTB mare. Right now she looks AMAZING (see here: http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...y/P1010553.jpg). Teeth in great shape, etc etc etc. She is in consistant work (showing 1st level schooling some 2nd/3rdish stuff). Right now the pasture sucks but I do have a nic grassy paddock behind the barn they get to go on for like an hour a day.

She gets:

1lb Buckeye Gro N Win ration balancer 2xday
    2lbs crimped oats 2xday
    0.5lb Buckeye Ultimate Finish Rice Bran fat supplement (20%) 2xday
    1Tbsp 12:12 salt balancer 2xday
    15g Probios (5g AM 10g PM)
    100mg HA
    10lbs organic O/A
    10-15lbs very nice coastal

This feeding and exercise routine has her looking like she does in above pic. The thing I am running into is that she is not the worlds best eater. She is very picky. Since the rice bran supplement is powder, I HAVE to put warm water in her feed and make it very soupy or she wont touch it. And sometimes she doesnt "lick it clean". I also have to buy the probios, the fat supplement, and probably add flax back in since I need more omega 6's than 3's since the rice bran is high in omega 3's.

I like that the Smartgain has the flax, PRE and PRO biotics (I used to have her on Ration Plus a prebiotic but no one carries it locally anymore), and that it has the fenugreek which is an appetite stimulant, which wouldnt hurt her!

I guess I worry b/c Im the kind of thinker -- "If it ain't broke dont fix it" and obviously she looking GREAT. But the fact that it does offer a little more of things I like AND I only have to feed TWO OUNCES (key point as she will only eat a certain volume and then shuts down).

I would just really like to hear actual experiences with the supplement before I try it out. Any opinions or experiences would be VERY appreciated!

Thanks!
    Please forgive me...but what is organic O/A?and why are you giving crimped oats and Ultimate Finish? why not just give more of one or the other? probably more ultimate finish? Have you ever tried plain soaked beet pulp? or alfalfa pellets or cubes,or even alfalfa hay if possible?. Its been my experience that horses that have been picky eaters or don't eat w/ much gusto and leave food behind have had ulcers-and once the ulcers are under control their appetite improves tremendously. Maybe try something like Finish Line's U7 gastic aid or Corta Flx U Guard Solution-or it also comes in powder or pellet form?

Organic O/A is organic orchard alfalfa. We get it from a place in Canada that does not use any chemicals on the hay.

She does eat with "gusto" as you say, it is just that volume wise, she will leave a tiny bit of the rice bran at the bottom. Tried beet pulp, she wouldnt eat it. She is already on alfalfa cubes. I am feeding the UF and oats per my nutritionist and it is the only thing that she has willingly eaten that keeps her weight where it needs to be.

I am really not looking to revamp what I am feeding her. What I am looking for are experiences and opinions on the Smartgain 4 to see how it holds up as far as a fat supplement so that I can replace half a pound of 20% fat with 2 ounces of 20% fat. In my mind, 20% fat is 20% fat and to get the same results I would have to feed the same amounts but since each bag has different recommended feedings, I want to see others experiences with the Smartgain.

Thanks for the reply though. BTW when she would leave like over half of her feed, I gave her Zantac (per vet) for 2 weeks which vet has used to clear up mild ulcers and once I did that, she has always eaten well. Again it is more of a voume thing than anything.
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

I'm feeding it to an extremely picky 24 year old Mustang. I tried other weight gain supplements and he wouldn't eat them, but he loves this stuff.

I had the same problem with rice bran being left over at the bottom of the bucket, but in his case it was quite a bit. So now I'm adding some hot water just to the bran to make it sort of a mash but not quite. It's more crumbly looking in consistency. I mix all his supplements in and dump it on the top of his grain. He likes it this way so much he tends to eat it first and anything he gets excited about is good.

Thanks!

Are you feeding 2oz like is recommended? Does it do a good job keeping weight on compared to other products? I dont mind having to add the hot water to make a mash (that is how I hide other powder supplements in there) but she still leaves the rice bran.
    ~~~~~~~~~

I'm feeding the 2 oz. I really can't compare it to any other products because I haven't used any, since he won't eat them. His weight gain has been really slow, but he's got a lot of issues, so I'm not particularly surprised. I figured it was worth a try and the fact that he likes to eat it makes it worth it to me. But, you can just buy fenugreek in the spice aisle.

I've had one of my horses on the SmartGain for the past few months and have been very happy with the results. He gained weight rather quickly and has been able to maintain it.

Interesting about buying the fenugreek in the spice aisle. I will look for it. If nothing else, we just got a Whole Foods and Im sure they would have it.

I am going to talk to my nutritionist about it and see what she says. I also need to see if cost wise it is worth it to spend $25 a month vs everything else I already buy (I need to tally it up).

Thanks again.

Anyone else? Please feel free!
    ~~~~~~~~~

I've had my new horse, who is hard to put weight on, on it for about 2 months now. And he is definitely starting to gain weight and fill out. Nothing else worked for this horse, so I am quite pleased with the SmartGain.

And the horses love it. It smells like cookie dough.

Everyone who tries SmartGain seems to rave about it, but even Smartpak admits that there's no magic to the product. It's just a combination of probiotics/yeast, some high-octane fat sources like flax seed and rice bran, essential amino acids, and fenugreek for yumminess. I'm guessing that 90% of the weight gain effect is on horses that needed the amino acids to build muscle and pre/probiotics to better utilize their existing food, not horses that need a raw fat supplement. Since your horse doesn't have either of those problems (based on the picture and diet notes, at least), it seems the SmartGain would be a waste of your money and redundant with other elements of your feed program.

If you know that the mare's beef with the rice bran is its powder consistency, have you considered trying a pelleted rice bran or switching her to Buckeye Ultimate Finish (not the rice bran product, the regular UF fat supplement)?

then perhaps feed her smaller volumes at a given time-but maybe spead out more throughout the day...like breakfast,lunch,dinner ....she just might be too full...my one tb won't eat more than 2#total at a given time-so although its a pain-he gets 3 meals a day and has never looked better....just a little info that you might want to consider beings that its worked wonders for my boy...i know you don't want to change/revamp what you're giving your horse but take this into consideration as per my experience.....

my tb who is 17H was a rack of bones when i got him....wasn't a great hay eater and just picked at everything...i tried alot of the fat supplements out there from ultimate finish,to envision classic,to rice bran,rice bran pellets,rice bran oil,beetpulp,alf cubes, fat cat, etc etc etc along w/ different feeds like purina ultium,blue seal,senior feeds etc etc etc....he was so picky...i ended up wasting so much time,effort,and money....what has been the trick was to stop giving him all those darn supplements....i just give him as much free choice good quality hay as he wants whether its timothy,mix or alfalfa, and i started giving him Triple Crown Low Starch Pellets-which has a low NSC(starch/sugar content) and he actually LOVES IT....and that's all he gets w/ hay! feeds that are low in starch/sugar are best for ulcer/ulcer prone horses...its also high in fiber too...AND the great thing about Triple crown is that its got FENUGREEK, in it,along w/ probiotics that help aid digestion....the only thing supplement wise that he gets is u guard solution for ulcers...and this horse is 1300+lbs and has never looked better....licks his bowl clean which he never did before when i was putting all those supplements and what not into his feed.....plus w/ adding all that stuff he was too full,and too full to want his hay-which is the most important part of the diet.

Dont' get me wrong...i'm not anti supplement,and i've given plenty to lots of my horses-my it just doesn't work that way for all of them....just thought i'd pass this info along as maybe your horse might fall into that catagory.

Good luck....but be patient w/ the weight gain-some just take longer than others.

Seminole feeds Wellness Senior has fenugreek along with other herbs. Was the original Spillers Senior. Great feed & older horse keeps weight on easily & loves it.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Well Im not looking to put any more weight on her. What I am thinking of is if I am already spending money on flax, rice bran, probiotics, etc seperately, it would seem to make more sense to buy something with all of that in there (plus the prebiotic).

I have had her on the UF pellets and she did not care for them. Also had her on the Seminole Ultra Bloom pellets and she did eat them but again pellets = more volume. I had her on the Wellness before switched to the RB. The Spillers/Wellness caused her to choke and this is the SLOWEST eating horse in the world and she has excellent teeth. She has never choked in the almost 7 years I have had her and she choked 3 times on the Spillers/Wellness so that was gone.

As far as spreading the meals out. Cant do. Leave for work around 6:30-7am and get home anywhere from 5:30-6:45pm.

Thanks for the opinions. I think I have what I need. I may try the Fenugreek first to see if it even helps her clean it up. If so, then I will speak to my nutritionist.
    ~~~~~~~~~