The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Being a native southerner, I NEVER thought I'd have good things to say about extreme cold ... but it's grown on me, esp. this year.

1) If you have a Birthday THISCLOSE to Xmas, that is always a negative. Therefore, since it was -4 on my B-day morning, then a -4 was righfully taken off my age~! (the side story is, we went to bed and it was -15 .... not a a snowball's chance of passing for 25 again, here!) ;

2) It was -17 Friday morning here. Thought the thermometer was wrong but sure enough local TV channel confirmed it. The coolest thing is, the snow, which fell as a powder WAY EARLY LAST WEEK, is STILL IN POWDER FORM. It often falls as a powder, but then hardens on warmer (25) degree days. Well, with a high of 2 on Friday, everything is STILL powder. It's just GORGEOUS. Horses fluff it about and play like foals!

3) When you bring in horses at night, there is no silliness - they are quiet as little meece and have this big, soft, relaxed eye ... so grateful to be in! In the morning, they are hilarious! ( "Shhh ... hold it down, boys! Hold your breath, don't move and make like a stall wall ... if she doesn't see us, maybe she'll forget we're in!" ).
    "If you don't know where you're going, you'll end up somewhere else."

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    The plus side is that the overnight low of -15 means that the day's high of 15 feels like T shirt weather!
    Exactly! And today's high of 22 felt like a day at the beach! I actually groomed and tacked up with bare hands, and they didn't hurt! What a relief.

My ticklish mare who normally fidgets when groomed stood stock-still in bliss when I took off her double blankets and gave her a good curry.

Hopefully that's the last cold snap of the winter.

I've lived through 33 Canadian winters (well 32 - I've not yet made it through the whole of this winter) and I can tell you...... there's absolutely nothing good about it.