The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

One of my horses is suffering from an accute case of eye bonk. SO... I dampend his eyelid and kicked him outside.

"the world is your icepack buddy"

Came in later with a much improved eye. It also works great for legs that need cold hosing.
    Of course it's not -24 it's more like 10F but I think still cold.

ENJOY!

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Thirteen below here.

It is just beautiful outside. Stunning. Everything has an incredible clarity, the sky has an unbearably beautiful blue color, and you can hear someone talking in a soft voice way, way back at the house. Birds don't fly away when you fill the bird feeder, they are practically pecking at our feet. The horses are ESPECIALLY interested in their food and greet you like you have traveled the seven seas since they were last fed. A fox is emboldened to sit at the edge of the yard, fixing me with a hopeful look, but he isn't QUITE sitting his butt all the way down, LOL. And at night, when the sky is completely clear and full of stars and an impossibly brilliant huge moon, the coyote chorusline kicks up. I must live in heaven.

I think that weather feels good. Yes, it's the clarity - of mind, body and soul. It makes me feel alive.

The barn seems to become a more magical place this time of year. More of a rhythm in the work, DH and I working together, more a sense of purpose, and the horses seem to really share that thought also. They seem to really realize their dependency of us and actually show huge amounts of appreciation. I feel really connected to them when it's like this. DH takes a lot of breaks to fondly rub upon them, it's a good thing to watch his enjoyment of these moments too. I esp like to stand under the run-in roof with the horses and watch the snow fall over their paddock and the fields at night. They are watching too.

And these are good too:
    - the bug kill-off is better with the hard freezes.
    - you can put your bedding, bed and couch pillows, & throw rugs out like the Scandinavians to kill the dust mites.
    - all the poop is easier to pick (dogs included)
    - I get to use the blankets I bought eons ago (they rarely get rugged, only when the windchill gets this bad, mine are hairy all winter)
    - DH had the tractor out to set more round bales and he restacked the manure pile and the steam is amazing
    - I went out to meet folks for dinner in town last night dressed like a snowmobiler, a real fashionista
    - Mama fox and her current kits are out hunting in the snow in the fields
    - it's frozen enough to get the tractor into the woods to drag some logs out for new jumps!!

For everything there is a season.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    We just use regular old fortiflex buckets. The trick is to use the hammer on the ice on the INSIDE, not hit the outside of the bucket. The ice shatters, bucket stays intact... and you have to use a little care... can't beat the crap out of it.
    Or....float the buckets in the water trough if you have one - the ice edges will melt within 5-10 minutes, and then you can tip the rest of the water back into the trough, which means you don't have to fill the trough quite so often!

And....horses quite enjoy playing with the icebergs.

I LOVE a cold wintry morning! The sunrises are gorgeous! We're not quite that cold here in CT...about -5 this morning. But the birds were all singing away as the sun came up and it was just lovely. After doing stalls (yay for frozen poop balls!) and cleaning up the barn I stood in the paddock with the horses and watched the rest of the sunrise, got the unexpected surprise of a few feathered bowling balls crashing/fluttering/flapping out of the trees (hen turkeys after nightly roosting) and 4 deer were lined up waiting for the 5th deer to hurry up and finish it's morning sip out of my heated nelson. (it's set into the fenceline so they were outside the paddock) Those 4 weird crows who're always here kept dipping down low to see what I was up to but I think they knew I had one of the feral cats inside my coat and those 4 birds *love* to torment that cat. Poor Boy Kitty...he followed me out of my basement this morning (he's not an inside cat but I brought him and the other stray/feral in the last couple nights due to cold) but once he was outside for 5 minutes he was crying around my feet to go back in the house and warm up again. Wimpy cats.
    Did wear the Carhartt bib overalls this morning...with Muck boots, smartwool socks and my favorite ugly ear flap cap I was comfy as heck and just enjoying the morning.
    Did put out a warm shallow bowl of water on my deck today too...even the faster streams and small waterfalls near my house are frozen solid and the birds were really happy to see melted water.
    Got up to high teens today...went to do errands early afternoon and didn't bother with a jacket due to the layers I was already wearing. By the time it hits low 30's tomorrow I'll probably leave off the layers too.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    So I am told if you throw a mug of boiling water in the air at those temps it will turn to snow pretty much instantly! Try it!! Please??!!! That is ghastly! Be safe! I am impressed that you could come up WITH a bright side of minus 24!!!
    'parently the boiling water thing is true (I was a non believer)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFj_i6HtebM

& the science:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html
    "Dressage" is just a fancy word for flatwork

Quote Originally Posted by QM2 View Post
    One of my horses is suffering from an accute case of eye bonk. SO... I dampend his eyelid and kicked him outside.

"the world is your icepack buddy"

Came in later with a much improved eye. It also works great for legs that need cold hosing.
    Of course it's not -24 it's more like 10F but I think still cold.

ENJOY!

This is great.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug1 View Post
    Can you really throw a mug of boiling water in the air and have it turn to snow/hail??? Coooolllll - that does make me want to get dressed warm and go outside, just to see... someone pleeeaaaase test that and report back! if that's true, then how does a horse wee? Or is the freeze temperature of wee lower than that of water.
    haha, no. I've even tried it at -50 and it didn't work. I blame Jack London for starting that rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    I am very, very jealous of the snow pants. I really want a pair of thermal overalls/coveralls... not the big suit, just the overalls type.

Can't seem to find 'em to fit without spending more than I have.
    When my friends and I went night sledding last Saturday after the snow storm , I realized I didn't have any untorn "sleddin' pants".
    I found the overall type at Walmart for $20. (I don't care for Walmart, but it was next to the sledding spot.)

Check the men's section too. All I could find that night was 2 women's pairs- lt. grey that were too small and white (wanted to wear them to the barn too when I'm cleaning, so to white!!)
    Apparently men don't wear snow pants much? I found a million black pairs in their section.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug1 View Post
    Can you really throw a mug of boiling water in the air and have it turn to snow/hail??? Coooolllll - that does make me want to get dressed warm and go outside, just to see... someone pleeeaaaase test that and report back! if that's true, then how does a horse wee? Or is the freeze temperature of wee lower than that of water.

Do you have to worry about worming your horses or does the cold break the larvae cycle in winter? So many nerdy questions...

Respect to all of you, I will never complain about the cold again
    NO, you can't throw a mug of hot water in the air and get snow

Yes, if it is cold enough it will break the larvae cycle, and with the -30C weather we have had, I would think they would be dead and hopefully the mosquito larvae as well.
    I don't change my worming cycle in the winter.

I like the *truck* comment, it's soooo true, that some times vehicles don't start when it's that cold.
    The power going out at work and leaving early is also a great bonus !!
    When -12 feels warm, you know it's been cold the last couple of days.

We had our cold snap a few weeks ago (hoping it's the only one for this winter!), but it's still mostly below freezing. My bonus out of this, now that the barn roof snow is on the ground, is that it is right next to the water trough...a HUGE pile of it. So, instead of filling the trough, I just shovel a bunch of snow into the water that's already in there and let the snow provide drinking water. It will be spring before I have to actually get the hose out again.

Quote Originally Posted by snbess View Post
    We had our cold snap a few weeks ago (hoping it's the only one for this winter!), but it's still mostly below freezing. My bonus out of this, now that the barn roof snow is on the ground, is that it is right next to the water trough...a HUGE pile of it. So, instead of filling the trough, I just shovel a bunch of snow into the water that's already in there and let the snow provide drinking water. It will be spring before I have to actually get the hose out again.
    You did know that fresh deep snow is very useful for teaching horses to passage. Just trot into it and voila.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

I saw you rtitle and the 1st thing I thought of was...Nothing!

Bein from the south I just cant imagine the good to anything with a - in front of it.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Well it was a balmy 22 today after a fierce cold snap. So I got out the pony for a quick spin. Our ride was cut short after the stirrups hit the snow banks but we tried! It was a easy to slow her down by steering toward the drifts, but all in all we were happy to get out and try it.

Actually got above 0 degrees F. today. First time in 3 days/nights. But it was damp today, felt colder than yesterday's negative whatever.

No boiling water will not turn into a snowball, but if you take a small amount (say 1/3 cup) in a glass measuring cup and super-heat it in the microwave and VERY QUICKLY dash outside and toss it upo into the moonlight, some of it foofs into a cloud while the rest comes down like hot shot into the snow. And the cloud floats away. It's really neat.

We don't have toys here in the Great Frozen North, we just have our kids play with boiling water.

Oh, and ever put a mashmallow in the microwave? (I recommend 2 at a time) They really poof up. If you time it right, you can make sculptures.

Hey, there's no bugs, that's the good part.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

The coldest we have been here was a rare -10F and it was cold enough for us.
    Can't imagine any lower, our thermometer would freeze, I think.

I wonder how cold is too cold for horses bare, outside, even if used to it and with wind protection?

It was -40 one morning when I let my Morgan mare out. She ran around a little, then she was like "@.,)~@, it's cold. Think I'll just eat." She had a run-in, was naked and not cold. Didn't bother her. (She was also fat.) Important to note that there was no wind, I'd say less than 3mph, and there was some sun.

30 degrees with a wind-driven rain is much worse.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

Best part about this cold weather:

NO MUD!!!

I have these and I love them. Here in TN I really only need them for maybe 2 wks a year, but it is SO worth the $$. Actually I think I got mine on sale at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    I am very, very jealous of the snow pants. I really want a pair of thermal overalls/coveralls... not the big suit, just the overalls type.

Can't seem to find 'em to fit without spending more than I have.
    Seriously, check out Walmart/Kmart/Target first. Usually they have the cheaper ones. Failing that, try a Ski shop. They sometimes have cheap ones too. I like the pants, my guy likes the bibs. Out here in "real" cowboy country everyone wears the heavy canvas bibs, but I hate them. They are HEAVY (weight wise), STIFF and BULKY. The nylon, insulated snow/ski pants are very lightweight and flexible. Put a pair (or two) of good wool/polypropalene long johns under them and a pair of boots rated to -40 and you are good to go. I have a pair of Columbia boots, honey has Sorrels. Add the silk scarf around your neck and a warm pair of "hunting" gloves.

Remember to add an extra 1/2 hour to your chore time to get all your clothes on!

I have had our tractor and the pickup plugged in since NOVEMBER and using #1 fuel and anti gel stuff. . It has been miserable here until the last couple of weeks when we got into the + 30s. Now we are having our January thaw and it has been in the +40s and WINDY the last few days. Feels like summer!!

I want SPRING .

I use Duofold insulated underwear. They make different weights for different extremes. I then wear my Nebraska Tuxedo otherwise known as a pair of insulated bibs. I have found the biggest thing to not getting cold is keep moving. Once I start chores I vary the work level as to not sweat but not stand still. Don't do all the high energy things first. Do the standing around chores when you first come out and are warm then do the higher exurtion things that warm and keep you warm. On the feet a good pair of wool socks and a pair of Baffin boots. I figure we have from the first of November to the end of March that are possible below zero days might as well spend the money and get the good gear. LF