The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Wink The bright side of -24 standing air...

No, really, there IS one! Or maybe even 2...

1) You can pretty much reach your gloved hand into a bucket of water, and when it comes out, instead of soaking into the glove, it just freezes.

So, really, you don't get wet much. Any water spilled on jacket or pants freezes rather than ever reaching (through the layers) skin.

2) You can be late for anything, including work. All you have to do is nod and mumble... "truck..." You don't even really have to finish the sentence, as everyone will assume truck wouldn't start. Even though it did. But then you flooded it after you stalled it.

3) Fashion goes out the door. At -24, you can wear anything you want, and the only fashion issue you risk is jealousy, should you have a really good item of WARMTH...

Anyone else???
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

So I am told if you throw a mug of boiling water in the air at those temps it will turn to snow pretty much instantly! Try it!! Please??!!! That is ghastly! Be safe! I am impressed that you could come up WITH a bright side of minus 24!!!
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Thirteen below here.

It is just beautiful outside. Stunning. Everything has an incredible clarity, the sky has an unbearably beautiful blue color, and you can hear someone talking in a soft voice way, way back at the house. Birds don't fly away when you fill the bird feeder, they are practically pecking at our feet. The horses are ESPECIALLY interested in their food and greet you like you have traveled the seven seas since they were last fed. A fox is emboldened to sit at the edge of the yard, fixing me with a hopeful look, but he isn't QUITE sitting his butt all the way down, LOL. And at night, when the sky is completely clear and full of stars and an impossibly brilliant huge moon, the coyote chorusline kicks up. I must live in heaven.

I love coming out in the morning and watching the horses bask in the sun with the hoarfrost on their backs, manes, muzzles, and eyelashes! (And hope the eyelash part isn't uncomfortable).

Also usually the stars are really sparkly at night when I go to feed.

(It's 11 Celsius and sunny in Glasgow right now... and I'm missing that!?!)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I love coming out in the morning and watching the horses bask in the sun with the hoarfrost on their backs, manes, muzzles, and eyelashes! (And hope the eyelash part isn't uncomfortable).

Also usually the stars are really sparkly at night when I go to feed.

(It's 11 Celsius and sunny in Glasgow right now... and I'm missing that!?!)
    Let me freeze your eyelashes, and see if it's uncomfortable

I whine and complain about the cold, but man I love winter

Have a friend in Alaska who has great horse keeping experience in the minus temps. It is common to have -35.

She thaws their eyelashes daily with a hairdryer.

I have little experience with minus temps and I am fine with that!

You could stay at work and get a lot done. Or you could skip the barn and go home and take down your Christmas tree (originally I was thinking if it was still up in April I'd just keep it up till the next Christmas).
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

OMG!!! I live in England and can't even begin to imagine!!! A week or so ago it got cold here (-6 C - that's well into positive figures in F)!! I've always sort of been curious about being that cold - but never that curious to go visit or try working in it. Our horses/and most of us just aren't used to those kind of temps at all - looking at the thread of your horses in their blankets looks just like my horses in the UK - goodness knows how they'd cope if they suddenly arrived in the US/Canada.

Can you really throw a mug of boiling water in the air and have it turn to snow/hail??? Coooolllll - that does make me want to get dressed warm and go outside, just to see... someone pleeeaaaase test that and report back! if that's true, then how does a horse wee? Or is the freeze temperature of wee lower than that of water.

Do you have to worry about worming your horses or does the cold break the larvae cycle in winter? So many nerdy questions...

It's just inconceivable to me how you can live in that amount of cold - but the blue skies sound good - it's almost always just hovering around freezing through winter here and grey, grey, grey...

Respect to all of you, I will never complain about the cold again

On the brightside, our cold snap is ending today and I am thrilled the high is 12F (-11C)!!

Default I rode... :)

It was freezing here yesterday. Not sure of the temps, but I guess anything below 20 is all the same to me..lol

I was determined to try out my new saddle and actually rode outside yesterday. Have to say that I was actually, (gulp) warm while riding.

The plus side is that the overnight low of -15 means that the day's high of 15 feels like T shirt weather!

The stalls stay cleaner because the poop freezes instantly, but I almost killed myself slipping on poop marbles and I know when it thaws we'll have to strip the stalls.

1. The poop freezes, making mucking super easy...a little heavy, but super easy.

2. Waaaay easier to clean the water buckets. My mare dips hay, grain, etc into her bucket. When you try to just dump it, little bits are always stuck to the sides and it takes lots of effort to get it all out...BUT when it's all frozen, you just get a hammer, take a few good whacks, and it all pops out! Clean bucket.

3. The ponies looooooooove to see you.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    1. The poop freezes, making mucking super easy...a little heavy, but super easy.

2. Waaaay easier to clean the water buckets. My mare dips hay, grain, etc into her bucket. When you try to just dump it, little bits are always stuck to the sides and it takes lots of effort to get it all out...BUT when it's all frozen, you just get a hammer, take a few good whacks, and it all pops out! Clean bucket.

3. The ponies looooooooove to see you.
    What kind of buckets do you use??? Mine couldn't take that abuse without cracking to bits!
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Black Rubber fortex buckets are the only ones *I* subject to mallets. I'm using TubTrugs to lug the water--there's a good inch of ice by the time I get home, so you dump the water, then sort of 'roll' the tub, and the ice crinkles off into the heated tank. I'm LIKING that!

The funny part is, once it's cold, (+5 or below) it seems unless there's wind, I don't feel much of a difference. I was out at 0400 yesterday AM at -24, and was fine. I was dressed for it, of course, but my face didn't hurt the way it does when it's WINDCHILL in the double digits below.

Last night chores were only -10 or so, felt about the same. <shrugs>

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post

2) You can be late for anything, including work. All you have to do is nod and mumble... "truck..."
    Funny! Thanks for the humorous observations on life in the frozen tundra.

Katie (in CA, where it will be in the 60s today...)

Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    I was thinking the same thing!!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    3) Fashion goes out the door. At -24, you can wear anything you want, and the only fashion issue you risk is jealousy, should you have a really good item of WARMTH...
    Ain't that the truth!

The best thing about -24 (or more) is that when it warms up to +10 it feels downright balmy .

As to fashion...........I have a pair of nylon, insulated snow pants. Now I am a good sized gal, but what I was thinking when I grabbed these pants off a clearence rack in the Spring, is beyond me. They must be XXXL because they are HUGE. I keep them up with a string. Think Ellie Mae Clampet, well maybe two Ellie Maes...... Anyway, I call them my bubble butt britches and am happy that no one ever visits when it is that cold! They are warm and windproof though.

We just use regular old fortiflex buckets. The trick is to use the hammer on the ice on the INSIDE, not hit the outside of the bucket. The ice shatters, bucket stays intact... and you have to use a little care... can't beat the crap out of it.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I am very, very jealous of the snow pants. I really want a pair of thermal overalls/coveralls... not the big suit, just the overalls type.

Can't seem to find 'em to fit without spending more than I have.