The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Help... anything else I can do to make her more comfortable?? - Updat day 5...

My mare got the crap kicked out of her today, I mean double barreled kicked probably 50 times, until we could get the other mare to stop. She has two hemotomas on her hind end and one on her barrel but that is not the worst of it. She has 2 really bad cuts on the inside of her right hind up closers to her butt that are really sore and swollen, and than she got a laceration on medial RH hock. Laceration is a downward flap on the medial dorsal cannon just distal to the hock. The skin was lifted off over the medial sapenous vein and structures on the distal hock but is not very deep and has no apparent joint or tendon sheath communication. Its about 8in long dorsally and 4 inches medially. The vet was out for about 4 hours stitching and cleaning and all the fun vet stuff and she is all bandaged on the lower leg cut the upper leg cuts are more like just took the skin off stinger ones so no stitches necessary. The large wound was stitched with 2-0 nylon in a cruciate pattern. She was given 30cc gentocin IV, 40cc PenG IM, 7.5cc Banamine IV. I will be giving her UNIPRIM twice daily for 7 days and Bute twice daily for 7 days and she will be on stall rest with hand walking for 2 weeks until the sutures are removed. I just got back from visiting her again and she looks so sore I just wish there was something else I could do for her... Any ideas, I want to make her as comfortable as possible and she just does not look that way right now... Thanks everyone!!
    Last edited by bhebert19; Jan. 21, 2009 at 10:47 PM.

I can't offer any help but sending your mare tons of jingles for a speedy recovery!

That poor girl! How terrible. I'm sorry for both of you. It's so hard when they are hurting.

I am so sorry - what about cold hosing, icing or poulticing some areas to reduce any possible inflammation?

Hope she gets better soon!

Default Thank You...

Thanks so much everybody... I just want her to be as comfortable as possible... It could be a lot worse I know. Because the lower part of the leg is bandaged and will not be changed for 2-3 days cold hosing is out of the picture till then and actually they said if the suture line is clean to just leave it alone, if not just clean with water and betidine (spelling). I have just had a horrible day, I tell you what seeing the wound and pain are bad enough, but actually watching it happen is gut renching.. I am still so sick about it... Thanks so much for the jingles.. I might go to the barn again just to hug her again tonight...

You could still try and do some icing any of other, possibly affected area that are not wrapped - check with your vet first though.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Jingles for a quick recovery and no lasting damage. Poor mare.

The only other thing other than possibly ice on any swelling might be to put some Sore-No-More on the bruised areas?

Just got back, She is still so uncomfortable I gave her 1 gram of bute, Vet said she could have given her 11cc of banamine so 1 gram of bute would be ok for tonight and to give her 2 grams in the morning as above her hock is really swollen now... she is pawing a lot but vet said thats just from the pain... I think she went down in her stall too and struggled to get up... Tomorrow I am going to hand walk her a little bit to get that leg moving and ice her as suggested (vet told me to do it as long as she will tolerate me doing it) and if the swelling does not go down I will probably go with a stacked bandage... Thank you everyone for you thoughts... Shes my baby and I am just heart broken I can't make her more comfortable...

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

You certainly could add some Arnica orally, and topically (gel form) on other bruises and swelling and sore spots. It won't interfere with anything else you're doing/giving.

Poor, poor mare... poor you too. Sending some thoughts and prayers your way from the Arctic north...
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default Have you heard of Traumeel & Zeel

I know you can use these in conjuction with the other . They are wonderful for instant pain. Farm Vet has them.

They understate them but hey work outstanding -- Arnica base

http://www.farmvet.com/p-834-traumeel-tabs.aspx
    I raced as a Doctor Jumped as a King
    Just remember me as Tobias
    5/6/2000 - 12/25/2011

I would hesitate to give her anything orally without running it by your vet first! MAny of these "herbal" types of things can interact with medication she is being given and I would not risk that. She will be uncomfortable but the bute will help here dramactically, she will likely be in less pain today and more stiff than anything so handwalk her as much as she can tolerate to reduce stiffness and swelling.

Default Traumeel isn't herbal

ANd when my horse had a serious injury , I was using bute had me use it along with it.
    I raced as a Doctor Jumped as a King
    Just remember me as Tobias
    5/6/2000 - 12/25/2011

If she is upset about the pain, and stressed, ask your vet about giving her some atravet (acepromazine) for a the first few days. The stress can cause secondary problems that you will want to avoid. Good luck with her.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    If she is upset about the pain, and stressed, ask your vet about giving her some atravet (acepromazine) for a the first few days. The stress can cause secondary problems that you will want to avoid. Good luck with her.
    I will definitely ask about this if she gets bad again... She was doing much better this morning when I went to see her.. Still uncomfortable but when I hand walked her she was tracking up and not stiff after the first couple of steps. I will go out at least two more times today and hand walk her. The top of the stitch line is uncovered by the bandage so I think I am going to do a stacked wrap tonight. Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions this board is filled with so many caring and thoughtful people... Its nice having a support group that really understands what these animals mean to us because to the average person I probably seem nuts!!

Good Lord! How about beating the crap out of the other horse that inflicted all the wounds?!?!?!?! That would certainly make ME feel better. Other than that, I don't know what else. I would think if you could mildly sedate her she might be more comfortable.
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

Oh my!! And you had to witness the whole thing? How are YOU doing? I had a horse with a different accident(jumped through a window), but had to be sutured and wrapped like your horse. I ended up doing a stack wrap and it really made a difference. I think it made him feel more comfy too. I would vote for icing as much as you can. Hope she settles in or it's gonna be a long two weeks. Good luck!
    To ride or not to ride; what a stupid question!

Sorry to hear your horse is hurting so badly, it does though all sound like stuff that will start to feel better relatively quickly.

It sounds like you are doing pretty much all that you can: as you are doing, try to get her gently moving as much as you can to help get the swelling down. Also I definitely agree with those who have suggested Arnica. It is very good for bruising and won't interfere with meds to the best of my knowledge (my vet certainly recommends it). Oral is generally more beneficial than topical but it sounds like she could do with it all.

If it's possible to keep the injuries cold then that's great, but don't forget to keep her core body temperature warm.

Some horses appreciate grooming and some attention; my mare just gets grumpy and wants to be left alone if she's sore.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend magnetic treatments as I have known, especially mares, to be very hypersensitive to touch afterwards; but that's a very personal opinion. Certainly here in the UK people would be recommending magnetic rugs or boots to boost circulation and therefore reduce swelling.

Good luck, and remember these are all fairly short term injuries and she should start to feel a lot better very soon.

Good Lord that must have been horrific to have to see.
    Here's hoping your mare recovers fully and fast.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Everyone here is so great... Yes I did have to watch it happen still just makes me sick... I cry still a little bit about it and as much as I shouldn't I blame myself for it. I had a bad feeling about trying her with this other mare but didn't want to be difficult about it so went along with it when my gut was saying no... I am going to go back out there again real soon here and walk her again. And no worries she is in a heated barn about 45 degrees and I put a nice clean blanket on her to keep her body warm, also over night I am going to put standing wraps on her other three legs for support. I think we are going to go with the stacked bandage when I get back there later today... don't know how happy she will be for me to be bugging the wound today already... but she is a good girl so I am sure she will understand. We will get there she is one tough cookie.. That much I do know for sure. Thank you again everyone!

Mares.

Sorry your horse got the worst of it!

Though you certainly want to ensure that the sutures/wounds remain clean, I'd say that unless the vet has reason to prefer otherwise, letting her move around as much as possible (confined turnout as opposed to stall rest) will prevent her from stiffening up, stocking up, and keep swelling down/improve circulation. Make those hand walks long ones...are you in the cold snap? Or lucky enough to be somewhere warm, or moderate, even?