The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding horse feed to goats.

Who all feeds horse feed to their goats? What brand and how do they do on it? Im considering using something in the Seminole feed line.
    http://www.seminolefeed.com/TexturedFeeds.htm

Default Wait...

Doesnt' horse grain contain copper, and that's toxic to goats? Or am I confusing sheep?
    Foggy memory..

My Horse's goat ate horse feed for 15 years. I think that's old for a goat, so I vote its OK.

He ate whatver they ate. . its changed a lot in 15 years.

Sheep can't have copper. Goats are okay with copper.
    Goats can eat horse feed. If they are not milkers and are not meat goats, they don't need very much packaged feed.

I buy the purina goat chow. It's like a sweet feed with some pellets mixed in. they get about 1 cup, each, per day. and all the hay and weeds and dried leaves they can eat. since they are out with the horses.

My goats eat Caprine from blue Seal. It's their 14% "challenger" horse feed. It's a coarse sweet feed. I just have pets and not milking goats, and they actually don't really need grain, but it makes me feel better to give them something along with their hay, especially in winter. I split about one pound among 3 goats 2 x a day. My mind has gone blank, but there is something , either the protein level or some mineral that can lead to urinary (?)problems in wethers. That said, my dearly departed Toby lived to be 18 and so enjoyed his horse feed. Plenty of hay in winter and browse and hay in summer and your guys should be pretty happy.

Used to have fifty or so goats, now down to eight. None breeding or milking. They get vitality 10 horse feed. My goats have always eaten horse feed, never would eat any of the goat feeds I tried.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

OTOH, if you have Blue Seal, their 12, 14 & 16% coarse feeds are fabulous for many critters, excepting sheep (copper) and horses very sensitive to starch.

I fed the 16% coarse for years to breeding goats and breeding horses. Shiny coats, bright eyes and good weight. There is some corn--though not a lot--so not for metabolic types... but for 'normal' horses they are a great feed... and the cows and goats can share.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I wouldn't recommend feeding any grain to "pet" goats at all. Goats are made to thrive off browse and sparse roughage. Feeding an out of work goat grain is doing more harm than good. Lots of hay and access to salt/minerals is all they need. You really can kill them with kindness! Urinary calculi is very painful and deadly and is caused from too much protein being fed. It can affect does and bucks/wethers but is more predominant in wethers.
    They will complain that they are starving, that's what goats do, they lie!
    Give them good hay and salt/minerals and they will be good!

Quote Originally Posted by equusus View Post
    I wouldn't recommend feeding any grain to "pet" goats at all. Goats are made to thrive off browse and sparse roughage. Feeding an out of work goat grain is doing more harm than good. Lots of hay and access to salt/minerals is all they need. You really can kill them with kindness! Urinary calculi is very painful and deadly and is caused from too much protein being fed. It can affect does and bucks/wethers but is more predominant in wethers.
    I disagree. Actually UC in goats is caused by a diet not balenced 2:1 ratio of cal to phos. Not protein. Alfalfa hay and grain is good but grass hay and grain is bad for goats. I feed straight alfalfa for hay. And no more then a cup of grain for males is fine. They should at least get some grain if being fed alfalfa. Here are a couple threads that mention this.

http://www.goattalk.com/forum/index....c,20498.0.html

http://www.goattalk.com/forum/index....c,20721.0.html

http://www.goattalk.com/forum/index....c,14248.0.html

Some feeds here state on the packing "Not to be fed to ruminants". Goats are ruminants - if your packaging laws mean that this doesn't need to be stated on the packaging, I'd check with the manufactor. Most of our processed horse feeds are not to be fed to ruminants.

My dam goats ate horse feed all the time, and dog food, and cat food, and chicken feed, and newspapers, and all my flowers, and the bark off my trees, and most of my garden and orchard, plus the neighbors oriental maples and none of that killed them SADLY! So I gave them away!

*snifff* I sure miss them!

Feed them horse feed =who cares!

Quote Originally Posted by phoebetrainer View Post
    Some feeds here state on the packing "Not to be fed to ruminants". Goats are ruminants - if your packaging laws mean that this doesn't need to be stated on the packaging, I'd check with the manufactor. Most of our processed horse feeds are not to be fed to ruminants.
    I agree with that. None of the equine feeds I researched says nothing about not feeding it to ruminants. The feed I ended up getting does not say this here or on the bag. But I have seen products that did say "DO NOT FEED TO RUMINANTS." I have not seen feeds marked this but I have seen some suppliments marked this. But I have seen chicken feed marked that and chicken feed is highly fatal to chickens! This is the feed I fed my horses when I had them.
    http://www.seminolefeed.com/Wellness...ssCalmCool.htm

I compared this feed to Purina Goat chow and this horse feed is by far the better of the two. My goats actually wont touch the Purina. The analysis was very close except for the protein levels which pet goats do not need a 16% grain. For show, breeding and milking does..yes. The cal-phos ratio is good at a 2-1 ratio. With alfalfa hay it balences this perfect. Which the balence is a must with wethers and bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
    I disagree. Actually UC in goats is caused by a diet not balenced 2:1 ratio of cal to phos. Not protein. Alfalfa hay and grain is good but grass hay and grain is bad for goats. .

[/url]
    Joe bob, I have to disagree with you on the hay. I've had goats for forty years and they've always gotten grass hay. We just don't get alfalfa around here unless we want to pay fifteen dollars and up a bale. Not something I'm going to do if I can help it. I used to milk and make cheese and my girls did just fine on good grass hay with some grain and whatever pasture we had at the time. When milking I fed a bit higher protein than I do now as the eight I have left are all just pets. The eight I have now are from fifteen years old to nine, all born here except for the fifteen year old who came here at one year old and they've all grown and lived on grass hay. All are sound and healthy, getting a bit long in tooth but healthy. You want to feed your goats GOOD hay and if you can get the alfalfa, particularly for milkers that's nice, but grass works fine.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by equusus View Post
    That's all well and good except when there's 6" up to 3 feet of snow covering everything on the ground and it's down to -25 degrees. In which case, a small amount of grain helps boost their heat. I understand about he urinary thing. I also give them a bit of sunflower seeds in the winter to prevent dry coats. THey used to be terribly flakey skinned.

And... besides the salt and minerals, some baking soda. : )
    Mine are spoiled because I will prune the apple trees in the winter and provide a few branches so that they can get their chew time in.

My goats always have gotten a handful of whatever the horses are eating as far as grain goes. (Or whatever else they try and sneak from the horses). They've always done just fine.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I was actually advised by my goat vet that alfalfa hay should NEVER be fed to whethers as it causes stones which are deadly in goats, and that very little grain is best. So mine get a miniscule amount of caprine challanger and hay in winter and only forage and small anmounts of hay in summer..My goats are now 8 year old whethers and looking pretty good...I love my goats they make wonderful pets

Quote Originally Posted by Woodland View Post
    My dam goats ate horse feed all the time, and dog food, and cat food, and chicken feed, and newspapers, and all my flowers, and the bark off my trees, and most of my garden and orchard, plus the neighbors oriental maples and none of that killed them SADLY! So I gave them away!

*snifff* I sure miss them!
    Thanks for the laff.

I've been worrying about my BO's goat, who helps my horse eat his senior feed that's full of joint supplement and Accel. Guess I'll quit worrying.