The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Good horse people

I just want to share how incredibly helpful and generally wonderful my trainer and my barn sitter have been this week.

We're on vacation, far-far away from home. The weather is God-awful, with windchills WAY below zero and (nearest estimate) more than a foot of new snow where we live.

My barn-sitter, bless her heart, saw trouble coming (nobody cleaning the driveway, awful cold, major drifting and two horses and a dog depending on someone being there twice a day) and got in touch with my trainer (whose number is on my "emergency list") and between the two of them they arranged for the driveway to be plowed, way ahead of me being able to find someone to do it.

Ideas for something I can get them as a "thank you"? Talk about above and beyond.
    Click here before you buy.

Yes, I too owe some super nice neighbors much.
    It is nice to know we have such good people around, is it.
    Although I am sure you are very nice too and they know you can also be counted on when in a pinch.

I generally give them a nice thank you card with a gift certificate to whatever I know they like, for some a nice restaurant they go to rarely.

A good gift for those that read is a gift card to Barnes & Noble.
    That is what my bookworm Dr gets for Christmas.

Fleece jackets? (to stay warm)... embroidered even - with their name?

Otherwise, gift cards to their favorite restaurant(s).

Maybe Visa giftcard? Or if they tend to be the frugal "I never spoil myself" types, a giftcard to a place or shop they like but would never get themselves-that way it forces them to do something indulgent but well deserved..

Oh I know this dilemma well. Every time I go away (thankfully not often) something goes wrong with a horse or dog, and someone comes to the rescue. I then spend my entire time away trying to find a gift or some form of thank you that is personal and shows how much I appreciate their help - nightmare! It does sound like you know both people well though so you should be able to do some of the suggestions above such as favourite restaurant; great shop that they wouldn't normally go to etc...

Good luck!

Bearing in mind the economy - you probably wouldn't go wrong with money that they could spend on something they want but can't afford.

Isnt it wonderful to be able to go away and leave someone you trust in charge. Yup, a nice spoil yourself card is in order.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Smile

Absolutely a Thank You would be in order.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by snkstacres View Post
    Isnt it wonderful to be able to go away and leave someone you trust in charge. Yup, a nice spoil yourself card is in order.
    Doesn't that just say it all. Until my working student got old enough to manage my farm, I could hardly stand to go away. Now she is, and farm sits for me and all of my friends. We head off on vacation without a care in the world.

Definately a spoil-yourself gift, unless you have reason to believe a cash gift would be more appreciated. Times are indeed tough and service givers tend to be hurting a little more right now.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I'd go with a home-baked goodie (whatever your specialty is - even if it comes from a box ) & a gas card.

My horsesitter has a 5yo daughter who comes with her & helps out so I always try to get something for the little girl from wherever I go.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Talking

I like the gift certificate for a favorite restaurant.

If the people involved like them, what about a gift certificate for a massage? Most of us neglect to physically pamper ourself.
    Proud Mom of a 2005 Nevada Mustang **Mistress X**
    Undersaddle Equestrian Services
    www.undersaddle.com

What wonderful folks you have keeping your horses while you are away. We've done the restaurant gift card and it was appreciated. Just remember the note as well. A lot of people don't write a personal thanks any more and they really ARE appreciated.

If you are doing a VISA or other credit card gift card... be SURE you read the small print. VISA in particular is only good for a while before 'fees' start eating away at the value of the card. AmEx Gift checks vs cards seemed to have fewer restrictions and can be cashed in at your giftee's bank if cash is more practical for some reason.

An update--we came home to find about 2 feet of new snow everywhere BUT the driveway, which was plowed beautifully, all the way up to the house. This is a 1/4 mile long driveway, and we are in the mother of all snow belts. What a relief!

Today I found out that not only had my trainer and barn-sitter done their part, but one of my patients took it upon himself to re-do the WHOLE driveway, EVERY DAY after Wednesday, so we'd get home to a no-fuss drive. Bless his heart, I am so lucky to have these wonderful gracious people--even the non-horsey ones--looking out for me.
    Click here before you buy.

I agree, a really nice heartfelt note of thanks is worth much and a good place to add that gift certificate.

They tool care of things for you, cleaned your driveway and warmed your heart.
    What else are friend for, right?

Talking of snow, guess what is on Sirius radio right now?
    Vivaldi's Winter. Someone is having fun, I think.
    Now Sibelius Finlandia.
    Definitely being funny in this coldest of coldest of winters.