The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You know, when I was still in pre-re-rider mode, I used to think often of this quote from Willem:
    She will ride wenn she be ready, right now mebbe she think off riding und she think "Right now this it be wrong, I do it later."
    Willem always knew just the right thing to say.
    Last edited by pAin't_Misbehavin'; Jan. 17, 2009 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    I feel like a never-ending re-rider. In fact I was just feeling a bit "woe is me" about this today!

Been riding off and on the last, oh I dunno, 5-6 years... finally got into a groove with my new horse and then lost him suddenly in September. Since then I've had a flare-up of health issues that prevent me from riding, indefinitely. And Mr. Rehab Horse who I adore is having lameness issues of his own.

I'm sad about it, truthfully, as the thought of riding this summer was the only thing getting me through since my late horse's death. I felt like it was some sort of goal, as I knew once I could and was riding again, I was at least partway through my grief...

Sigh. I'm starting to feel like a wanna-be, or a has-been? LOL.

I can't wait to get back to re-rider status, though admittedly, I'm not looking forward to getting back into shape ALL OVER AGAIN.

For now I will live vicariously through all of you guys. Thank God I have COTH to keep me in the loop!! ha ha.
    Awww, Flash! Is there a lesson barn near you where you could ride at least once a week? Or maybe a riderless horse in your area from the riderless horses/horseless riders thread.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    Awww, Flash! Is there a lesson barn near you where you could ride at least once a week? Or maybe a riderless horse in your area from the riderless horses/horseless riders thread.
    Aww thanks for thinking of me Cranky. I'm hoping my health issues will resolve enough to let me ride this spring. Rehab pony will probably be out of commission till summer at least.... But I'm sure I can find a few horses to sit on, come spring if I am ready... friends have been so generous, reminding me I can ride their horses anytime. I am grateful to have such a supportive bunch of horsey buddies.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I'm usually a very positive person, but after today's lesson I was so depressed I bought some Powerball tickets. Maybe with $165 million I can become the rider I want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by prodomus View Post

You can see some of our horses at www.hotelfun4kids.com/horses.htm and some pics of me at a dressage show on the weekend - my fella was such a good boy - we got first and second - level one - we are now going to be working on level 2 and schooling level 3-4

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&id=505480415

Loving my re-rider career - having a blast with my hubby and sons. The nice thing is now I really know what to do, how to do it and can enjoy it a as family.
    Your horse is stunning! I was admiring him the other day on your thread in the Dressage forum...

Re-rider here. Fighting with my horribly unco-orinated body, physical issues, depression, etc. My body is now in shape. Unfortunately the shape is a pear.

It's a lot slower than I thought it would be, mostly because I have discovered that I was a bad rider to begin with. I am trying to catch up with a friend of mine, who is a couple decades older, and never started to ride until a couple years ago. She successfully showed last year.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

Well I had an amazing ride today! It is in the high 60s here in Northern California and I had my lesson in a t-shirt! GG did her first proper shoulder-fore, even in her bad direction! We are working on lengthenings and leg yeilds and her trot has improved so much it gets incredibly hard to sit at times. While her canter transitions still need work, her canter is really coming along.

A friend and I are goin on a long trail ride in the regional park tomorrow while the weather is so good, the rain is supposedly on the way!

I'm a rerider....quit in '95 and was not going to "do horses" again.

yeah...that.....

so here I am, in 2009 and my new year resoltuion is to ride 2X a week. The frigid temps this week cut it down to 1X this week, but as soon as it warms up....I'm back in the saddle again. My not-new-year-resolution but goal is to ride 2X a week till April or May then get a lesson 1X a month (work schedule prevents more than that) and increase riding time to 3X a week.

I am just happy to tool around the indoor right now!

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    I'm usually a very positive person, but after today's lesson I was so depressed I bought some Powerball tickets. Maybe with $165 million I can become the rider I want to be.
    Ha! I think the same thing, from time-to-time.
    -Debbie / NH

Checking in.

Just a short bio:
    Quit riding in 1991 due to a really bad fall.
    Started back in 2004.
    Was getting back into it w/ lessons, bought my wonderful guy the end of 2005 but then he was injured the beginning of 2006.

I spent most of 2007 getting my horse going again after his year long lay up. Mostly putzing around w/o any real direction or motivation though horse was coming back nicely.

The beginning of 2008, I decided I needed a change to kick my butt in gear and switched disciplines (from Hunters to Eventing... though I still compete at Hunter shows from time to time).

Started w/ new trainer and I'm just getting back to where I was before my horse's injury. So it's been a long 2.5 years. But I think I'm a better rider than I ever was before all the hiccups.

We had a pretty good 2008. Went to 2 Hunter shows and ribboned decently the first one and got Reserve Champ and Champ in the second one.

Competed in my first mini-trial and got 5th place!

So all in all, I'm coming along. Horse is having a blast doing Eventing though he still enjoys Hunters (loves to jump and loves the flat classes as he can "show off"). Though he doesn't love Dressage, he is humoring me.

A fellow barnmate rides my guy from time to time so he can do the "big" stuff (ie. 2'6 to 2'9). He's perfectly capable of the bigger stuff but I'm too chicken to do that right now. I'm still hovering at 2'. Maybe 2'3 on a really good day. I'm struggling still w/ cantering jumps. I find that as time has gone by, I'm a little more hesistant.

But my biggest accomplishment was riding, schooling and showing (XC) out in the open. Since my original injury which almost killed me happened out in the open. And finally *knocking wood very very hard* my horse has been sound and going well.

So all in all, it was a good 2008.

Goals for 2009? Complete a mini-trial/HT at the Starter level (2' to 2'3 max) and show in Long Stirrup in Hunters (2').

Pics and videos are in my siggy.

Another re-rider here; think I wa on the first thread too. I've been reriding for longer than most of you - but I had a longer 'gap' than most of you, too.

I rode off and on a little as a kid. Took lessons for about a year in elementary school; rode again and worked at a barn for one summer while in high school; rode again and showed for over one summer while I was in college.

Took 20 years off.

Got back into it because I had a horse-crazy little girl. For a while I just vicariously enjoyed horses by being a barn mom. Then we got DH to start lessons (because it drove me nuts that he didn't have a clue what he was looking at; all I wanted was for him to learn how to post the trot) (and life is not fair; he'd never ridden before that and he now jumps higher than I do). Then Trainer Lady figured she'd hook the whole family and I started riding too, about 6 years ago. I spent the whole first year on a massive low-carb diet which was wildly successful.

Not long after I started back we bought horses for DD and DH. The following year we brought home a retiree as a pasture pet. And three years ago I got my very first horse. I'm having a ball and showing locally at the 2' level. I had hoped to move up last year, but had to take most of the season off as my horse foundered (mild case and he's completely good to go now) so I think we'll stay at 2' one more year. I don't know that we will ever get to 3'; I am just barely to the point that I can do 2'6 without hyperventilating.

We have a small farm and can keep them at home. The workload is huge but so are the rewards. I don't know why I lost all those years in between, and I never want to be without horses in my life again.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by equineartworks View Post
    Vacation1 those are excellent goals and jsut as important as the actual riding I am sort of doing the same this year. I'm going back to school and starting a second career and keeping my current "day job" to do for enjoyment and personal satisfaction (and to pay for lessons and gear )
    Good for you and thanks for the kind words!

How do you all (or how did you) remain optimistic and enthusiastic about returning to riding when you found yourself uncoordinated and unbalanced like a sack of potatoes? I don't start working with my trainer until February, and each time I attempt to trot on my mare, I feel like I'm all over the place. It gets me very discouraged - remembering where I was, many years ago, to where I am now, which is a complete mess.

I talked to other people who had been through it, because I felt the exact same way. All my muscle tone was gone, and I hadn't realized at the time how much I had built up over the years till it was gone. It does eventually come back, btw, but it's kind of a painful process .

People at my barn who had been through it were very reassuring, and I had to just keep putting one foot in front of the other for a few months. It was just kind of a dogged determination that got me through.

I'm a re-rider for the past going-on-five years. I rode sporadically as a kid so essentially I was a "beginner" when I started again although I knew the basics (position, diagonals, etc). I lived in three different places over the past few years so I rode at various barns.

I have been half-leasing the same horse for the past year and feel like I have started to bond pretty well with him. I've learned a lot. We go around at 2'6 with the occasional larger fence (boy is 3' fun! )

Unfortunately, horse showing in my area is very pricey, and feels like a huge indulgence that I can't afford right now in the scary economy, so my horse show goals have been put on hold aside from the barn's schooling shows. But I'm learning a lot and developing a good relationship with the horse I ride which is most important

I would encourage other re-riders to stick to their goals however incremental. Make yourself ride without stirrups, ride with a friend who can critique and keep you motivated. If you are only riding once or twice a week, pilates and swimming are great to keep the riding muscles in shape.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

Hello all, I wasn't in on the original thread either, but I am a re-rider. I've rode and shown my TB hunter since my early twenty's ( I'm 42 now). Just local with a few B and C shows. While in graduate school, my riding dwindled to just trail rides. Then with completion of graduate school came a baby and a busy career. I retired my horse and sold all my riding stuff.

Six years later, I found out a fellow coworker was taking lessons and jumping and she convinced me to come out and take a few lessons. I finally did, loved it, and of course, am getting back into riding again. I recently bought a wonderful Dutch/TB green bean and had to replace all my riding stuff. My pocket book really took a hit this year, but it is all worth it.

I started riding again in June with an awesome trainer, and am surprised at how quickly my body got back into riding shape. I do run, though, so it I wasn't starting totally from scratch.

I am so lucky that the barn I board at is heated and only 15 minutes from my house, so I have been able to ride 3-4 times a week. I plan to do some showing this summer on the B circuit depending on how my horse is coming along.

My daughter, who is 5, loves horses, too. I hope that this will be an activity we can do together some day. But, since mommy is riding again, she will have to wait to get a pony of her own.

Quote Originally Posted by tullyleague View Post
    How do you all (or how did you) remain optimistic and enthusiastic about returning to riding when you found yourself uncoordinated and unbalanced like a sack of potatoes? I don't start working with my trainer until February, and each time I attempt to trot on my mare, I feel like I'm all over the place. It gets me very discouraged - remembering where I was, many years ago, to where I am now, which is a complete mess.
    I constantly struggle with this. I find that if I can just concentrate on the ride I'm doing at the time, that I'm much better. And really, riding is the one thing in my life that I do where I don't think about anything else, there is just too much about the activity that I have to focus on at the time that not too much else enters into the mental conversation. It's after the ride that my frustrations start to surface. I am trying to take encouragement from the progress that I am making. If I think back to September, when my second riding life began, I can see real improvement. I just try not to think back as far as 22 years ago, because that's when I'll get frustrated. And really, I'm sure I was a better rider back then, but I also wonder how much of that is sort of a "glory days" type memory (in my mind maybe I was better than I really was). But I am finding the mental struggle harder than the physical one, personally.
    -Debbie / NH

FG, you're always welcome to come ride Sam. (: And I highly recommend my lesson barn if you ever want to come try it... I love it there right now and love my new instructor.

I missed the original thread (I think), but I believe I'm a re-rider...grew up riding on our OH farm, with no instruction but books, but dang, I learned how to stick.

Stopped riding for grad school/kids.

Started up again a little less than 10 years ago--determined to learn to jump, 'cause I read a book about Bruce Davidson, and I really wanted to do what he did. About 4 years ago, started driving the 6-12 hours to go to events/schooling.

My "competition" horse was diagnosed w/ EPM two weeks ago (and I went to a Karen O'Connor clinic last weekend with my sweet little "fun" horse--blogged it at http://kocclinic.blogspot.com).

I was going to try for a Training 3-day in 2010; but if my competition horse doesn't recover, I don't think my chances are good. Still, it's a goal! Think good thoughts about Paycheck!

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    FG, you're always welcome to come ride Sam. (: And I highly recommend my lesson barn if you ever want to come try it... I love it there right now and love my new instructor.
    Hey Sarah thank you so much for the offer! Once I am cleared to ride I may just take you up on it... I think Sam is cute as can be and he looks like a ton of fun! I would love to come watch one of your lessons too.

Those who mentioned the "mental struggle".... it is definitely there for me too! I got by on good balance, good instincts, and a lot of guts when I was a kid. As that stuff has faded, I've been left wondering what the heck I am still capable of...

But in the last 2-3 years I've realized I CAN still ride, just a bit differently. And what I lack in reflexes and guts I make up for in knowledge and a more mature thought process.

(Though admittedly I DO wish I could combine my guts/physical abilities from my teenage days with my knowledge now... I'd be one damn good rider... ha ha!)