The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How are all the adult re-riders doing?

I remember Gunnar had an adult re-rider thread going some time ago, but I haven't seen it in ages. How are all of my fellow adult re-riders doing?

I am sadly out of shape and so is the mare. Bitterly cold temps, work and kids are keeping me out of the barn. BUT, I finally copied down the local show schedule for the year and am committed to doing at least one (or two). I will start back with a trainer in February and it can't come too soon because I feel like a sack of potatoes. I ask mare to trot, she complies and I'm all over the damn place.

I don't have my own horse anymore so I ride on schoolies these days. I'm out of (riding) shape, out of balance, a real mess. It's quite frustrating, especially when you know you were better before. It's good though, to start from 'back to basics'. Thank goodness the horses I ride have been nothing but patient, having to deal with me! That's the beauty of this sport - we're always learning. I'm also happy my instructor doesn't blow smoke up my a$$ and tells me like it is. I'm giving myself 2 years of solid lessons 2-3 times a week before I buy a horse again.

I'm a rerider. I quit riding in 1984 when I sold my horses to get married, buy a house and have children. Sold everything and never thought I would ride again.

After the birth of my two boys I took the odd lesson just to get a fix but nothing serious. I was serious when I was young and found it hard to just ride once in a while.

In 2004 we were going to visit a client of mine that has a dude ranch in wyoming. To get the boys accustomed to horses I took them to a local eventing barn run by a former olympian and someone I used to train with.

Then we went to the dude ranch - the whole family including my husband had a blast. When we came back the boys and I decided to continue riding lessons and then at christmas 2004 my husband (since we had 100 acres anyway) said we should build a barn and get horses.

Since we never do anything half way we built an 8 stall barn and a large arena. Since then we have had up to 12 horses on site, are breeding eventing and dressage sport draft crosses, my sons event and both are national Prince Philip Games Pony Club champions, I show my sport horse babies and show in gold (national) dressage shows.

My hubby has a horse too and we go on family hacks as well as fox hunt occasionally.

Currently we have 8 horses - each boy's eventing mount, a 3 year old rio grande filly - home bred - that will be backed this spring and bred, my dressage horse, my hubby's horse, a 2 yr old swedish wb/draft cross colt, a trak/tb broodmare that will be bred to my colt this spring and our draft cross broodmare due to foal by ES Donavan in April. In the fall we sold 3 of our eventing mounts trained by my sons.

My sons and I take dressage lessons and jumping lessons each week as well as clinics.

So we are pretty well ensconced in horses now.

You can see some of our horses at www.hotelfun4kids.com/horses.htm and some pics of me at a dressage show on the weekend - my fella was such a good boy - we got first and second - level one - we are now going to be working on level 2 and schooling level 3-4

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&id=505480415

Loving my re-rider career - having a blast with my hubby and sons. The nice thing is now I really know what to do, how to do it and can enjoy it a as family.

I didn't ride as a kid, just started 6 years ago. I'm a slow learner. I've been taking 2 lessons a week for most of that time, riding schoolies. I've gained some weight, so plan to put some extra time this winter into eating better and going to the gym. I really noticed once I hit 40 that my body is much less tolerant of eating junk and not exercising.

Here I am! As a rerider I have been on the back burner for a while. Last March I took a spill when Bodie fell on my foot! Broken foot and in a cast for 12 weeks I did not ride for a while. Even since then I find lots of reasons not to ride. Fear is a huge part of it as I had big time fear of horse falling so now it is even worse. I will get back to it but never to the extent I did before! I pretty much only ride outside on the XC course and this requires my braveness at this point. I get on Rosie sometimes but that is not as much fun as my Bodie Boy!

Mr. G is still riding them both, competing Rosie at BN and N level HTs. For now I am a groom but I love to watch him so I have a blast. In 2007 I did get Bodie out to 2 HTs and he was better than I! It just scares me to death to go that fast! Bodie loves it and that makes it even worse as I attempt to slow him down!

I did go in a couple of HPs in 2008, one on Rosie and one on Bodie. In both i won the non jumping class. Once I start jumping I go too slow!

I cannot wait to hear how the rerider clique is faring!!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

I'm a rererider (swore I'd start riding again before I turned 40, did, bought my own with 1st husband, divorced, hooked up with 2nd husband and after roughly 3 years riding sold house, horses, went on the road with new DH, swore this time I'd start riding again before I turned 50 and missed that deadline by 2 years.)

Now 55, again have 2 horses, trail ride locally and am having just a wonderful time with them. I am able to ride farther and oftener than I ever have been able to and think I'm also riding better.

I never had proper riding lessons until I was in my late 30s. I could stand to have some now but for the time being my horses do the teaching.

I'm a re-rider. I don't believe that I was on the original thread, but I started back to riding this past September after 22 years away. I am riding at an eventing barn and am making some consistent progress (at least I think that I am, I hope my trainer agrees!) I am currently taking two lessons a week and am also half-leasing a horse, so I potentially ride up to 4x a week. Of course between work and the frigid Winter temps, I don't always manage to pull off those 4x, so I'm very glad that I'm doing the 2 lessons anyway, as that is helping me to keep some consistency with the riding and is keeping the motivation up.

I'm expecting that it's going to take me at least a full year to get back to where I was ability-wise, so I'm trying very, very hard to be patient with myself. I think that is the hardest part for me right now, my own frustration and sometime disappointment with myself. Physically though, I feel like I've taken back to it very well. And I am now at the stage where I am just starting to get back some of those subtle nuances. All the stuff I had forgotten about in the years I wasn't riding, but that make one a "true" rider, I think, and not just someone who knows how to sit a horse. I just wish my jumping rhythm would come back a little faster! Anyway, so it's slow, but I feel I'm making good progress, so I remain excited and enthusiastic. It sure is hard to keep that motivation up during these short, dark days and very cold temperatures though!

Oh and I've signed on to go to an adult camp that my barn hosts in Aiken in March! I'm really excited (and a little scared) about that. I really think that I'm going to get a lot out of it, I hope to come home a better rider.

In addition to all this, I am running and working out with a trainer and am trying to lose some more weight (I lost a bunch in 2008). My goal is 40 lbs. I'm hoping between all the riding and my other training, that I should be in great riding shape by the end of the Summer, both by improved ability and in fitness levels.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I'm doing really well! Taking lessons is a godsend - if I had known what I was missing all these years I'd...well, I'm kind of kicking myself about that one . But better late than never, huh?

I've been riding a couple of horses a day, so I'm in fairly decent riding shape, and my greenie is beginning to do really well. I had gotten a bit cocky, in fact, because I was the only one in a barn of many who just never fell off, even when said greenie acted up. But this past week I've had a couple of decent falls just to get my hand back in, and it's good to fall for your ego, especially when you don't get hurt . I do have to buy a new helmet, though, because the stallion stomped on mine...Fortunately/unfortunately my head was in it at the time, but I'm fine.

I've been taking a lot of lessons on schoolies lately, which has been great... it's been a while since I've gotten lessons. I've had a couple weeks off now and have a lesson on Sunday, so I'm sure I'm going to be an unholy mess...

With the nasty temps and with being out of town for two weeks, I haven't gotten much riding in on my own green horse, but if the windchill's not too nasty tomorrow I think I'll take him for a meander around the barn and out on the trails a wee bit. He's been on indoor turnout for two days though so I think he may be a bit frisky. (:

glad to see others in my boat. Full time job, family and recent sub zero temps are making getting to the barn a bit tough. Got my first horse 2 years ago when I was 37 and this summer am going to hopefully go to a local show for the fun of it (and will consider it a success if I get the right leads and don't make a fool of myself).

My non-horsey husband has actually gotten into the horses, too, even after taking many lessons where he figured out this horse riding thing wasn't as easy as he thought it was.

Any re-riders have any photos they want to post?

Began-as-adult lesson student, taking an unplanned hiatus since I got canned for the new year. I am not thrilled at being jobless and scrambling, but it's not a bad time to take a break, what with the ungodly weather and my own mounting frustrations at my riding limits. During this break I'm doing two things that will do more to help my riding than actually riding right now could - working on my fitness, and finding a better job so I can actually afford more frequent lessons, a lease, a horse, a farm, etc. in the future.

Same thing here Gunnar! Fell this summer, dislocated my ankle, severed every tendon and ligament on the outside of said ankle too They tell me it would have been better broken! I only had to spend 10 weeks in a cast though. Came back to re rider status this fall and still haven't got anywhere! It's so dam* frustrating! The fear just won't leave, and I'm riding steady eddie schoolies. I'll just keep plugging away I guess At least I'm jumping crossrails now-maybe this time next year I "may" be jumping what I was before the fall. Fingers crossed.
    *PPP Member*
    "Official" Couch Critic

often between a rock and hard place in Ky

Adult starter-overer here! Rode a bit as a youngster but nothing like I do now. I have finally broke the 3' mark in jumping and not feeling like I'm gonna die. I have still managed to lesson at least weekly but finally am feeling like a driver and not just a passenger anymore. I am a lesson addict though.. If I had time and could afford it I would love to lesson every day. However as it is I am fortunate enough to get one lesson a week in.
    ___._/> I don't suffer from insanity.. I enjoy every
    ____/ minute of it! Member stick horse art lovers
    ';;;;;;; clique
    //__\\<-- Don't feed the llama!

My New Years goal was to get back going and hopefully be NAHRA certified by the end of the year. So far? Haven't rode once. Not to make excuses but it has been below zero or snow storms off and on since the 1st here so I have had the cards stacked against me
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Began-as-adult lesson student, taking an unplanned hiatus since I got canned for the new year. I am not thrilled at being jobless and scrambling, but it's not a bad time to take a break, what with the ungodly weather and my own mounting frustrations at my riding limits. During this break I'm doing two things that will do more to help my riding than actually riding right now could - working on my fitness, and finding a better job so I can actually afford more frequent lessons, a lease, a horse, a farm, etc. in the future.

Vacation1 those are excellent goals and jsut as important as the actual riding I am sort of doing the same this year. I'm going back to school and starting a second career and keeping my current "day job" to do for enjoyment and personal satisfaction (and to pay for lessons and gear )
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

I've started riding again after two and a half years spent building barns, fences, etc. on my farm. I've found a terrific trainer with an indoor, so I don't have to schedule lessons around weather as well as my work schedule.

I definitely feel as though I've forgotten how this is done. Horses are no relation to bicycles, are they? I'm having to take it slow, because I only have time for a lesson once a week, and I need to get my chops back before I try bringing the little paint horse back into work - it being two and a half years since he's carried a rider.

But damn, is it good to be back!

It's hard to believe I have owned my mare now for over 2 years! I rode a lot as a kid, and even spent a short period of time as an assistant trainer to both a race horse trainer and H/J trainer, before going back to college in my 20s and slowly stopping riding by the time I was 24. I tried to get back into horses in my 30s but stupid me bought a succession of young OTTBs and struggled for the first couple years. At 36 I finally bought the love of my life, a little Hanoverian mare named GG.

We first thought we might event, then we tried to go to a H/J barn, but it turns out the best facility in the area (for the horses) and closest to my house is mainly a dressage barn. This past summer we gave in and decided to consentrate on dressage, at least for a while.

To my delight dressage is like starting over from scratch! It's so totally different than anything I have ever experienced before, and it's so HARD! I have been taking 1-2 lessons a week, and both me and my mare have improved so much. We are now planning to start showing in March, and see how far we can go. I love learning so many new things, and I am so blessed to have such a wonderful and willing partner.

I have to say, spending a couple hours a day with my horse definitely helps make my upcoming transition to my 40s almost bareable

Another original rerider checking in.

Unfortunately, I unexpectedly lost my horse in April, a lot of my dreams died with Heart, so I don't ride anymore. I still have a bunch of horses to take care of and my lame boy. Oh well, maybe some day it will come back.

It is great to hear about you guys!
    \"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it.\" Anne of Green Gables

I'm a re-rider! The weather has been pretty bad here, and the barn arena has been unusable until this past week.
    I am really struggling with making time to ride. Actually, I am struggling with the whole discipline issue, too. I have such humble goals: to be able to ride my horse without making other people flinch and look away. I love dressage and so badly want that softness and elegance for my own riding.
    But I am not going to reach my goals by riding once a week. I have a great instructor, but she can only do so much if I am only getting in the saddle once a week for a lesson.
    I want to be the type of rider who wakes up 2 hours early to make time in a busy schedule for riding. I really, really do. But so far, I just haven't done anything about making that happen.
    I am always going to struggle with my body. I am 45 years old and have had 2 surgeries on my back, with fused discs in my lower back and neck. I had a spinal cord injury 14 years ago, and never did get the feeling back in my butt or my legs. So if I want to ride even a little better than I do currently, I am going to have to work hard at it. The only way to get better is to ride consistently.
    I know all this, and yet I just can't discipline myself enough to put any real effort into riding. I board, but find myself riding alone if I am not in a lesson. I thought about moving to a barn where more people are riding, but am honest enough with myself at this point to know that a 25 minute drive to the barn would probably be enough to limit me even more.
    I love horses. I love to ride when I am actually riding. I don't think I am someone who likes the idea of it all more than the actual doing of it. My gelding has been a real saint with me, everything considered. I am a fairly disciplined, driven person in the rest of my life. I just don't understand why that doesn't translate to my horse life?
    Sheilah

I feel like a never-ending re-rider. In fact I was just feeling a bit "woe is me" about this today!

Been riding off and on the last, oh I dunno, 5-6 years... finally got into a groove with my new horse and then lost him suddenly in September. Since then I've had a flare-up of health issues that prevent me from riding, indefinitely. And Mr. Rehab Horse who I adore is having lameness issues of his own.

I'm sad about it, truthfully, as the thought of riding this summer was the only thing getting me through since my late horse's death. I felt like it was some sort of goal, as I knew once I could and was riding again, I was at least partway through my grief...

Sigh. I'm starting to feel like a wanna-be, or a has-been? LOL.

I can't wait to get back to re-rider status, though admittedly, I'm not looking forward to getting back into shape ALL OVER AGAIN.

For now I will live vicariously through all of you guys. Thank God I have COTH to keep me in the loop!! ha ha.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.