The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default my JRT puppy was just diagnosed with a heart murmur

I know, they can live with them a long time. But I lost my BEST canine friend to a stroke or something due to a heart murmur 2 years ago and now here i go again.
    I have to take puppy for an ultrasound of his heart...
    jingles anyone?

Jingling, but why not get a firm diagnosis before you worry too much? A murmur does not always mean something awful.
    Click here before you buy.

Let us know what your vet finds.
    Heart murmurs come in all kinds, many not very serious.
    Good luck that yours will be one of those.

Default Hope your pup is ok

But I had a JRT puppy that had heart surgery at 6 weeks because of a bad flap.

It went fine and she is the most wonderful dog.

Currently she is 6 years old and very happy and healthy.

good luck.

One of my dogs had a heart murmur all his life. It only got worse in old age. You'd never had known he had one unless I told you.

He lived a very long, and very very active healthy life. In fact, even in old age the little bugger could outrun me if he smelled a rabbit. (He was a Basset Hound).

All is not lost. Don't panic.

How old is the puppy? I know with kittens, it is not uncommon for them to have heart murmurs when they are young before their valves mature--this is what a couple of vets have told me (or something close to it--sorry to be vague; I hate to be imprecise about this stuff!). I have two kittens (sisters) that both were diagnosed with heart murmurs at 8 weeks and now at one year, they are completely normal.

Mega jingles!!!

Jingling here! I have a JRT and know for a fact they are tough little dogs!
    Beware the hobby that eats.
    Benjamin Franklin

Jingling just in case but........................on a brighter note, this is not uncommon in puppies at all. There little hearts arent quite finished yet so hopefully yours will pass and be fine as well. Many many dogs live long useful lives with a murmur. hmmmmm so do people for that matter. Good luck.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

How old is your puppy? Is he/she wormy? Any anemia present? Where was the murmur heard? What grade? Is the pup showing any clinical signs of cardiovascular compromise? Exercise intolerance, labored breathing, cough, etc?

As many have said, this could be something or nothing...the most common congenital heart defects in small breed canines are PDAs and pulmonic stenosis, another possibility is a dysplasic mitral valve (tricuspid dysplasia is possible but more likely in larger breeds). There are some cases where these murmurs will go away as the dog grows into its heart so to speak.

Just a word to the wise, heart murmurs in dogs and cats are very different, it is like comparing apples to oranges. While some heart conditions are similar, they present and behave differently...cats can have very severe heart disease, and no or minimal murmurs and/or as their disease progresses their murmurs will go away b/c they are unable to generate a murmur due to the decrease in systolic function.

Jingling away!!!
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

Oh, my goodness. I know how you feel. My Faith border collie had a terrible heart murmur, among other things, when I pulled her from the shelter at twelve weeks of age..

That was three years ago, and her behind is at least an axe handle broad by now. I hope your JRT fares as well.
    Analytical thinking is the first casualty when opposing sides polarize, and that shows lack of common sense on both sides.
    Denny Emerson

I had a JRT female with a murmur who made it 12 years. Only in the last few months it started to affect her as she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. She led a huge life.....jingles for your little one.............
    Last edited by AC; Jan. 18, 2009 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    I know, they can live with them a long time. But I lost my BEST canine friend to a stroke or something due to a heart murmur 2 years ago and now here i go again. I have to take puppy for an ultrasound of his heart...jingles anyone?
    That sucks. Sometimes it does feel like fate is messing with you. My sister-in-law adopted a kitten a few years ago who turned out to have a heart murmur - he's fine, frisky, etc. It might shorten his life, but it doesn't seem to bother him so far. Good luck.

Jingling!
    I know you understand and appreciate all the info about how non-serious a heart murmur can be. However, I also realize that panic is more to be expected when you have been on the wrong side of the odds once already.
    Keep the faith, do the best you can, and be gentle with yourself. You are not being silly or overly dramatic. But you also need to take as much strength and comfort as you can from the positive stories. Things can and do work out well and you do not have your own personal black cloud dictating bad outcomes! <<hugs>>

Any news on the puppy??
    Beware the hobby that eats.
    Benjamin Franklin

Jingles to you, we rescued a JRT a few years back who had a heart murmer. He was about 2 or 3 at the time. We had him for almost 3 years when he died of a heart attack. It was really sad, but he had a good life on the farm until then. I suggest you talk to your vet to see if there is anything you can do, and just make their life as happy and comfortable as possible.