The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shopping for a cooler

I'm going shopping for a new cooler. First time I've actually had something nice and new for years -

I have a grey horse and would like something tweedy or plaid so the white hairs don't show so much - and not one of the expensive, snazzy ones on the other threat. $100.00 should be my limit.

Any shopaholics have suggestions. Thx.

I have one of the blue striped Rambo's and I like it. I don't know a/b a gray but it does look VERY nice on a black TB.
    www.foxwoodfarms.biz
    "There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots."
    -Member of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique!
    http://community.webshots.com/user/wlrottge

I bought this from GreatTack.com:

http://www.greattack.com/store/produ...b6822eabeef004

The Centaur wickster, it's a gusseted acrylic yarn knit. I like the quality, fits my TB well, it was ~$50 with shipping. They have several colors in solids and plaids.

Speak with Carol Yeargan, excellent customer service!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I have two of the Eos Mesh/Fleece combo coolers. Easy care, horse dries quickly and good price from: http://bitsandbarter.proboards74.com...ay&thread=1892
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

I just purchased a beautiful Grey checked cooler in December from The Bridlepath in Red Deer, AB. Maybe Lynn can chime up as to the brand, etc.

It is Grey with Blue and Green, and is absolutely stunning.

Don't forget about picking what you like and seeing if there are deals on the ebay stores.

check out tack of the day!

I have the Parkston cooler & LOVE IT. More than once I've used it as a blanket for ME!

They have a million colors to pick from. Mine is navy with a hot pink trim and it's freakin gorgeous.

I didn't order it directly from Jack's--it was through a catalog--but I believe it was under $90.

http://www.jacksmfg.com/details.asp?product_id=968

Thanks everybody - I'm checking them all out.

OH GOSH!! I'm not sure that pink hearts would suist MY horse, but somebody should to to Tack of the Day and look at those coolers. Too cute. The plaid ones are more my conservative taste.

I have gotten a lot of use out of my cheapy Dover ones that are shaped coolers. They were on sale for $40 and they are pretty durable. I use mine to cover my horses in the trailer when they are fully tacked up....(I trailer to the indoor down the street 4x a week in the winter!) They are thick enough to take the bite out of the cold plus the shape allows me to bridle up and put the reins back inside the cooler so the horse doesn't snag them on something!
    Sarah in New Hampshire
    My Blog - Adventures in Eventing

I ordered the rose plaid cooler from TOTD for my mare. Couldn't beat the price and it will be cute on her.

I just got my custom fleece cooler through smart pak...nice price and I LOVE it!! its beautiful and I got to pick my color, trim, piping, an monogrammed it!
    "If you are nervous you arent focused-if you are focused, there is no room for nerves!"

Hi, PaulaM: I ordered the wool one from Red Deer because it was grey plaid for my grey horse. Hope I like it! The fact that I don't have to pay PST in Alberta takes care of the postage AND it was on sale so that made it a good deal. Elaine was very helpful, so tell her when you see her next! Tx.

My cooler came today and it is really really nice. Melton wool, fitted, with a muted 2" plaid in greys, green and blue. The grey hairs will have lots of places to hide. Hope Mods don't mind the shout out for Bridle Path in Red Deer, Alberta, because it was a pleasure to deal with them by phone.