The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Being in a pretty clean barn, my coat and sweaters pick up very little smell, though my boots are another story if I have been mucking stalls
    I usually keep a Febreeze sprayer in my truck so I can freshen my clothes before I go anywhere I might cause offense. I wish I could figure out how to get the smell from my boots out of my rubber floor mats, though....even washed it stays.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

A little bit of mud? Ok you should see the floors of the grocery stores here with all the snow and salt. It's a brown slush mess that is absolutely disgusting and a dirty riding boot would not be noticed!

DH (who is British ex-pat) commented that "that's the kind of behaviour that gets your store boycotted in England."

Biosecurity? oh don't make me laugh.

Its not like I am tramping into the deli or the meat packing room in my boots and breeks.

But I USUALLY go grocery shopping in my riding clothes because I do not like to change 5 times a day!

I am more worried about the brats I have to stop from poking their little snot laden fingers into every.single.package. of ground beef at their little level. Or the same ones with smeared noses, digging in their bums, who then go to the bulk food bins and help themselves. With parents standing next to them!
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by DeeThbd View Post
    Being in a pretty clean barn, my coat and sweaters pick up very little smell, though my boots are another story if I have been mucking stalls
    I usually keep a Febreeze sprayer in my truck so I can freshen my clothes before I go anywhere I might cause offense. I wish I could figure out how to get the smell from my boots out of my rubber floor mats, though....even washed it stays.
    Dee
    It's all a matter of what doesn't smell good to you. As someone who can't stand the smell of many perfumes (and the smell of Febreeze is at the top of my list) I'd much rather stand near someone who smells like barn.

One of my nightmares is being stuck on a plane or in a theatre with someone who is wearing a lot of perfume or cologne. Riding in an elevator is bad enough!

Peoples' sensitivity to scents/odors is highly personal. There are things that smell terrible to me that my husband can't smell at all . . . and scents he can't stand.

Luckily he's come to tolerate eau de cheval and eau de chlorine which happen to be my personal favs.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

But Bogie, being stuck in an elevator or closed automobile is a lot different than being in a grocery store, which is typically a space with high ceilings and hard surfaces and decent ventilation. And there's not usually any reason to be THAT physically close to someone, with the exception of standing in line, which is typically not more than a couple minutes.

I am deeply suspicious that the complainer is the kind of person who needs to get over themselves.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I end up stopping at Publix at least once a week in my riding clothes- I am busy and the store is right on the way home from the barn. I am used to some strange looks but they better not mess with me
    They wouldn't kick a construction worker out for having BO, would they? What about a doctor or nurse in scrubs? More likely a "biosecurity hazard" than a rider!
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

Oh No, I shop at Tesco! I do, however, change clothes when I'm doing the big shop. But I go to my local shop most days in my combat gear. But to be fair, the cow milkers and Greyhound people smell worse than I do!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

That’s fine as long as they kick out the folks that only bathe once a week too! And folks that cook pungent food and then go out in public! And folks that pour on to much perfume... And so on!

I occasionally run into a store after ridng... hmm last week matter of fact! I am usually more worried about how I look in my riding tights and covering my wide end rather than any smell!
    Last edited by MSP; Jan. 16, 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: sp
    /Don't Judge...
    1 in 100 children, 1 in 94 boys and 1 in 88 military children...
    It’s time to listen.
    Every day!/

Wow I have been known to go to restaurants after riding. Sit down and eat kind-not fancy-no one has ever said anything-even though in the shedding season, sometimes I do have horsie hair on me too.

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    Biosecurity? oh don't make me laugh.

Its not like I am tramping into the deli or the meat packing room in my boots and breeks.
    Biosecurity isn't about contaminating the food in the store. Snotty nosed obnoxious kids with poopy diapers do that.

Biosecurity is about making sure you don't spread disease from one FARM to another FARM. Disease can linger on boots and clothes long enough for it to be spread from person to person.

Horse owners are just as capable of spreading disease in this manner - though it's probably not as big a risk since we're scattered and don't congregate very often. But if a horse has strangles or the neuro version of EHV-1 and its shedding the bacteria or virus... yeah. Meeting a fellow horse owner for lunch after being around your horse can spread the disease to the horses she comes in contact with after you take leave.

Please don't dismiss that concern so lightly. I can guarantee you that if EHV-1 is found in your barn you'll spread it if you don't follow established biosecurity protocols. Same with other diseases and other species.

That's what I mean by biosecurity. I can't really comment on the lack of manners because it seems more and more Americans act like they were feral children.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    But Bogie, being stuck in an elevator or closed automobile is a lot different than being in a grocery store, which is typically a space with high ceilings and hard surfaces and decent ventilation. And there's not usually any reason to be THAT physically close to someone, with the exception of standing in line, which is typically not more than a couple minutes.

I am deeply suspicious that the complainer is the kind of person who needs to get over themselves.
    I don't have any problem with people shopping after riding .
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Thank goodness the stores around here don't kick you out for wearing riding clothes. You're more likely to be asked if "there's a horse show going on at Spruce" than stared at........thank goodness for living in a horsey city (especially in the South side)!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Default i'm w/ Bogie on this one.

scent of too much perfume or cologne makes me sick to my stomach.
    and i just cannot understand why folks who go to the gym douse themselves with perfume???? i've had to get off machines on several occasions b/c my neighbor made the workout unbearable
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

When I stop by Whole Foods on the way home from the stables, I usually have about 5 women checking out my riding boots and asking where I got them from.

Apparently the equestrian look is "in" over here!

And couldn't agree more on the icky, snotty, dirty-diapered kids. I've seen a few with their snot noses and sticky fingers, grab fruits and veggies, sink their teeth into it, and throw it back with the rest of the fruits and veggies. All the while, their parents are going: "oh, isn't little [insert snot nose's name] just so adorable?". I don't have a problem with kids. I have a problem with parents who let their kids behave like that.

People do get oversensitive. I worked in a couple different companies which employed 'folks from overseas' in the IT dept. Usually, these guys were clean seeming, but their clothes I don't think had seen a dry cleaner or washing machine all week, and the same shirt was probably worn all week, both at work and after work.....the SMELL....ugh.....But the people were nice, themselves. I think in their case, they were used to a female family member tending to this issue, and never really seemed to smell themselves (or their co-workers?) Or maybe they're just used to smelling like that.

Try telling someone you work with that perhaps they need to launder their shirt once or twice.

Dealing with someone pungent in a store for 5-30 minutes is far preferable to needing to work in close quarters for 8 HOURS in that state. But you do what you have to do.

What on earth does that store do in the summertime when LOTS of people are sweaty/stinky? Does everyone have to shower before they go to this store now?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Horse shit is the only shit that preg women can safely handle. Useless trivia I read in some slutty Brit Chick Lit novel the other day. Giddyap!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    their clothes I don't think had seen a dry cleaner or washing machine all week, and the same shirt was probably worn all week, both at work and after work.....the SMELL....ugh.....
    Yeah, the torture of standing in their cubical....

If she had horse clothes that were not washed for a while - she might off smelled really bad, but still I think it's ridiculous to ask her to leave just b/c of "smell".

I'm an ex-smoker and I can't stand the smell of people who just smoked the cigarette - its tears me out in so many ways (I want to smoke and puke at the same time) - yet I don't complain about their stink and I can smell it 50 feet away!

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage Art View Post
    ... I can't stand the smell of people who just smoked the cigarette ...
    Me either. Blech. I never noticed how bad it smelled until I quit. Now I am mortified that I must have smelled that gross.

Maybe it's the same with horses. Maybe the complainer is an ex-rider.

Horse owners are just as capable of spreading disease in this manner - though it's probably not as big a risk since we're scattered and don't congregate very often. But if a horse has strangles or the neuro version of EHV-1 and its shedding the bacteria or virus... yeah. Meeting a fellow horse owner for lunch after being around your horse can spread the disease to the horses she comes in contact with after you take leave.
    Ugh...I remember about 5 years or so ago I walked into a friend's barn and was standing in the aisle chatting with him when I noticed one stall had cardboard taped over the bars. I jokingly asked if the horse was on a "time out" or something and he mentioned that it had just come down with strangles. I almost punched the BO in the nose...but I settled on a glare and a very fast speech on how strangles can be spread as I walked at light speed back to my truck and left. Then stripped outside, tossed the clothes in a plastic garbage bag and came in to take a shower. Scared the hell outta that BO but he was newer to owning a barn and had no idea about quarantining for diseases. His dingbat new "trainer" told him it couldn't spread because of the holisitic herbs she was giving it. Moron.

Add me to the list that gags over strong/too much cologne or perfume. Too cloying and seems to stay in my nose for hours, blech! We're pretty much horse-heavy in my area so people smelling of horse and cow aren't a huge deal. The cow smells seem to bother the folks who just moved into the "country" area of this state more than the horse smell does. Especially in early spring when fields are being fertilized with Eau De Bovine. (have to admit it can make my eyes water too if you get too close to those fields) The newer folks also seem to find it "adorable" and "delightful" to see "equestrians" in the small local stores. They do get annoyed over other farm things such as driving a convertible car behind a hay truck and getting covered in chaff, LOL! Or getting stuck behind a combine on Rte 17. Although I was out picking up milk with my also horsie niece last summer and a crabby socialite wanna-be behind her in line commented loudly and rudely how my niece and I smelled offensive. My niece mentioned loudly back "And your perfume is offensive also." Woman replied, "It's over $100 an ounce!" to which niece replied, "the horse that caused this offensive smell cost about the same and he weighs 1200 lbs!"
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte