The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Rider kicked out of store for being too smelly!

I'm surprised this hasn't happened to me yet!

http://www.barnmice.com/forum/topics...58Comment56335

The bottom of the page

Same here - but when the first grocery store tries it with me, they WILL be sued, and that ain't no threat, it's a promise!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Stupid move on the part of the grocery store. Word's going to spread; sounds like they're located in the midst of farm country. How many horsefolk are going to avoid that store deliberately now, either in boycott, or fear of embarassment from being asked to leave?

I wonder if they'd be so quick to kick out someone with severe BO? I think not... so much easier to discriminate by saying "you smell like horse" vs. "you smell as if you haven't showered in a month!"

Why don't stores throw out customers dragging babies and children around with godawful horrible smelly leaky diapers??????????????????? They stick those brats into shopping carts and leave a real honest to goodness health hazards behind. No pun intended.

Plus, it just plain stinks. And often they also leave one hell of a mess in the bathroom on those changing tables.

I'd rather smell a bit of horse manure than vomited baby food and smelly drippy diapers.

Bleh.

Sounds to me like they did the right thing, this area is heavily livestock and poultry farming with 80% of the people in the county making their living ag related. We also care about manure being tracked into our food stores.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

The article said the lady hadn't even groomed her horse... just rode it because she boarded him and she didn't need to so she only had a bit of mud on her boots.... NOT manure.

People assume you smell because of what you are wearing... I had one lady once tell me (at the barn) that I smelled like paint because I was wearing clothes with (acrylic) paint on them.... they were clean clothes but she automatically assumed I must smell like paint because they had paint on them so that assumption made her think I smelled when I didn't. I have a feeling this is what happened to this poor lady too.

That's a good point, county. Biosecurity is pretty important.

But I think this story is less about biosecurity and more about urban attitudes.

A few years back our extension service surveyed schoolkids and the results were pretty sad.

Kids in this state think farmers are dirty, smelly, poor, white, and uneducated.

Urban people that move out here for "the quiet and beautiful views" immediately start complaining about the smells, the tractors on the roads, noise from crops being harvested - but a big one is the smell. Especially in the spring when we get thaws.

Personally, I'm more worried about the poopy diapers contaminating food, shelves and carts, especially when the kids are allowed to run around.

A guy got kicked out of the bar in town a few years ago because he smelled like manure. Small town ( 525 people ) no one banned the bar, no one was upset in fact we were happy.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

And to think...I worry about walking into Tractor Farm Supply with dirty boots (after having knocked off mud and hay from them prior to entering).
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Just as an FYI, Romford is a working-class "innerurb" of London, it's not country at all.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I know that when I finish riding in an indoor arena that is closed up for winter, I sure can reek. It's not necessary a manure smell, but more of a musty odor. I wouldn't want to smell me either. I go home and change if I am going to be anywhere I may be close enough for other people to smell me.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Wouldn't it be rude to track mud into somebody else's house?

Sounds to me like two lessons are required: one in PR for the store, the other in manners for human.

G.

Tesco's have tile floors. And really, it's not like people hang around in grocery stores for three hours (intentionally). When I grocery shop, I'm usually in and out in 30 minutes or less. I don't get it.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Wannabe Essex Man trying to pimp up his day.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    Stupid move on the part of the grocery store. Word's going to spread; sounds like they're located in the midst of farm country. How many horsefolk are going to avoid that store deliberately now, either in boycott, or fear of embarassment from being asked to leave?

I wonder if they'd be so quick to kick out someone with severe BO? I think not... so much easier to discriminate by saying "you smell like horse" vs. "you smell as if you haven't showered in a month!"

I agree... if they are going to tap my shoulder about my barn smell, they better also tap the people with the horrific BO that always seems to be in line with me at Walmart

Quote Originally Posted by Curb Appeal View Post
    I know that when I finish riding in an indoor arena that is closed up for winter, I sure can reek. It's not necessary a manure smell, but more of a musty odor. I wouldn't want to smell me either. I go home and change if I am going to be anywhere I may be close enough for other people to smell me.
    I agree with you. I don't want to smell myself so I doubt others do. Even if I at least change out of my "barn coat" it makes a difference.
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Well, we weren't there, and this debate could rage on for days!

This story brings new meaning to this tidbit of advice: "This morning make up your mind to go out of your house and not be offended [by things or people].". Honestly, people get their panties in a wad over nothing at all these days! I hear it all the time, read it all the time.... In the whole scheme of things there are other far more worrisome things to rail against than a little mud, or manure.

You know, proprietors underestimate the power that "goodwill" has in the marketplace. If you show your patrons that you are willing to be a party to something that is petty or uncalled for [poor customer service, poor judgment and the like] that can have a negative and sometimes dramatic affect on your business.... It's a shame that many businesses either don't, or refuse, to see that. Your customers are your bread and butter--if I lived in that area I would no longer shop at that store. But that's just me! "Behavior seen as rewarded tends to be repeated" and I wouldn't want to be the next customer to be embarrassed, nor would I want to give the store any more of my money (in protest).

A guy got kicked out of the bar in town a few years ago because he smelled like manure.
    Well, people tend to hang around bars for hours at a time (not that I have personal knowledge of bars and such )..... And you know there can be some unsavory types of people who hang out in bars anyway, so I think that's a given that someone's going to have to get tossed out of a bar from time to time--but a grocery store, where most people are in and out quickly?!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Agree w/ Cherry. Even if she smelled bad, I don't see how most grocery stores are such close quarters for an extended period of time that everyone couldn't just settle down and deal for a few minutes.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I guess I've been lucky- I often go to the grocery store in barn clothes, straight from riding (there is nothing I hate more than back-and-forth, so I always try to do everything in "one trip" rather than going home in between). Usually if people have anything to say, it's the curious "oh do you ride horses?" thing.

I have had one person complain about the smell, but she was insisting on standing in line as close as possible behind me. I kept inching forward, and she did too- seriously, even if I wasn't in barn clothes I'd be weirding out about the violation of personal space. So when she said something I couldn't help but laugh.

I do usually take off any outer layer, as the coats tend to get really stinky. AS far as bio-security or whatever- I think the mops they use to clean the floors in the produce section might be more bacteria-and-ick laden than anything on my feet.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

I grocery shop almost exclusively in riding clothes...it would be a real PITA to have to drive all the way home and then all the way back to the grocery store just to pick up a few items I need for dinner that night since the store is right on my way home. I do always keep a clean, never worn to the barn pair of shoes in my car to change into (mainly because I hate getting mud all over the interior of my car). No one has ever complained about anything here in the midwest although I have made a friend or two that has spotted my breeches while out shopping and started a convo.