The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best winter barn chore gloves for women

Every year I struggle with keeping my hands warm while doing my barn work. I've tried endless kinds of gloves & either they don't fit a woman's hand well or don't keep my hands warm. Anyone have suggestions on good WARM gloves? Thank you, Lisa

Thinsulate ANYTHING with leather or any kind of grippy patches on the palms. I personally love the mittens that you can pull the tops back and have your fingers bare, like these:

http://www.grandeportal.com/Portals/...s/141065_l.jpg

I got a pair for xmas and I love love love them.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Thanks sublimequine for your reply! I'm going to start shopping for those type of gloves ASAP!!

I'm ready to kill my hubby, he had a toenail removed this week so he's "unable" to help me with outside work or so he says, (come to think of it most of the inside work too, LOL) . I half think he had his toenail removed the coldest week of the year so far on purpose! Kinda irks me getting dressed in my 4 layers only to see him laying on the couch channel surfing, grrrrr! Then to boot he'll call my cell phone to chat while I'm outside desperately trying to get all my work done as quickly as possible!!!!! So far it's been bearable except the intense burning I get in my hands, so thank you for your suggestions! Now any suggestions on how to train a lazy hubby?!

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Thinsulate ANYTHING with leather or any kind of grippy patches on the palms. I personally love the mittens that you can pull the tops back and have your fingers bare, like these:

http://www.grandeportal.com/Portals/...s/141065_l.jpg

I got a pair for xmas and I love love love them.
    Thinsulate definitely! I go to the ski section of REI or sports stores and buy them. They have the reinforced palms and finger for good grip and durability. You can also buy silk glove liners, just like the silk long underwear.

As far as the hubby...I just would not answer the phone when he calls!

Ive tried thinsulate lined leather gloves. Either I bought a bad product, or just poor quality.

My best luck for gloves are the Ariat Insulated Tek Grip gloves, or ragg wool lining in SSG trail gloves. Neither are waterproof, but if you need that, have your vet give you a bunch of large latex exam gloves to slip on overtop. Not durable in the least, but good enough to crash through the icey water trough, or scrubbing water buckets in the cold..

I do not buy Thinsulate leather gloves, but ski gloves that are water resistant and have leathery grip patches.

The pair I just bought after Xmas were the Manzella Waypoint glove by Thinsulate; I actually wear men's medium size.

I also buy the big waterproof ski gloves w/ Thinsulate inside. I get them at discount stores. I think my last two pairs have been $3.99 and $5.99.

I like the insulated SSG Deerskin ones, warm and grippy and can still ride in them too!

I find the quality and warmth of the Thinsulite gloves to vary tremendously. For Winter stock tank, bucket cleaning and other freezing wet Winter chores, I recommend a type of neoprene gloves. I got a pair of such gloves for Xmas, they are extra long to the elbow and are sold through sporting goods retailers for recovering duck decoys from water. Unfortunately, they come in "camo" prints, but they work really well. A friend of mine heard me complaining about my Winter watering chores and surprised me with a pair. They don't work for mucking though, too rigid in the fingers.

I like mittens. I have a pair of wool fishermen's knit mittens with an insulated lining. They keep me toasty. If I have to do anything I might need fingers for I wear a pair of thinner gloves underneath for a quick chore. the mittens are big, man sized things, but in this weather i'd ratherbe warm than fashionable. Hamilton Marine , In Maine sells them, but probably a hunting/fishing supply( cabela's, etc) store or section of a bigger chain would have something. Cheaper if it doesn't say "horse" .

Even the pair of 100gm Thinsulate hunting gloves I got were not sufficient. Just made everything so hard because they were sooooooo bulky.

On top of that, they were waterproof, but not breathable, so they felt wet inside every time I put them on. They were not abrasion resistant either, so wore out really fast where the fingers contact hay bales all the time. So that was money wasted. (Realized later that the sort of hunting you'd use camo with would mostly be sitting around waiting for something to show up, not actually using your hands!)

What I've been doing this winter is cheap ($3) thinsulate ski gloves with cheap (2 pair for a buck) knit pimple-grip gloves over them. The ski gloves are too fragile (hey, they're cheap for a reason) for any kind of real work so they need something tougher over them. The knit gloves collect every shred of hay chaff within 10 feet.

Somewhere, I've got a pair of leather chopper mittens with wool liners but I coudn't find them in time for this cold snap.

Love the SSG deerskin Thinsulate lined work gloves, too. They get wet, but if you put on a pair of latex/plastic or whatever gloves underneath, hands stay dry and warm.

The other ones I really love are Thinsulate lined ragg wool gloves with leather palms, also with the waterproof liner if they are going to get wet.

We have a towel heater in the bathroom that dries gloves in a jiffy, all nice and warm. Ummm!
    Form follows function, or does function follow form?

www.clearvisionequine.com

http://clearvisionequine.blogspot.com

Here's the Christmas presents I've given to the BOs and workers where I board. They say they like them. I sure do!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams