The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question winter riding gloves?

I just got a pair of mountain horse endurance gloves and my fingers were frozen within 5 minutes of going outside. Now granted it is cold today, Temperature is 15F and windchill of 3F but really I expected more.
    So are my expectations too high or are there gloves that will keep my hands warm for more than 5 minutes?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I too was on a missiont to find the best winter riding gloves. First, don't buy the Kerrits. Total waste of money IMHO.

What I just bought that I'm currently in love with: Eastern Mountain Sports' (EMS) Polartec gloves.

I wore them yesterday while riding (it was all of 14 degrees) and my hands stayed warm. I wore them this morning while walking the dogs (3 degrees with a wind chill of -10), and my hands were only the slightest bit numb at the fingertips after 25 minutes. $35 is their regular price, EMS has them on sale for 30% off.

Here's the link: http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_d...34374302898855
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Default posting trot

were they really slippery? i rode in some cheapy double fleece gloves that i got from a co worker few years back and they were actually warm but v. slippery.

i'm so pissed at Mountain Horse. what a joke. their ads with horses in the snow are totally misleading. these gloves are pitiful. the fleece lining is so thin flannel pajamas would do more to keep me warm!

ridiculous!

Default anyone try the SSG winter riding mittens?

maybe that's the solution?

They make silk glove liners just like silk long underwear that will help keep your hands warm. REI or any of the big sports stores should have them.

I just posted on another thread that I buy Thinsulate ski gloves for barn chores....whether they'd be okay to ride in, I don't know. They do have grip patches on them for ski people to grip their ski poles. I just got the Thinsulate Manzella Waypoint glove from REI which is really working to keep my hands warm. (Of course I'm in GA but it really IS cold here this week!)

This really bugs me too, you folks out in IL and so, "WHAT" kind of gloves do you ride in???

No matter what I wear, even the ssg mittens, my finger tips get ice, ice cold. Ski gloves would probably keep my fingers warm, but they are too bulky to keep a hold of my reins. I need a good feel of the reins when riding Mr Winter Spooky.

I just cannot believe there's anything out there that will keep my fingers warm when temps drop below 20F, certainly not when it's windy.

The EMS gloves are not slippery at all; they have a grippy palm. I also find them quite warm when I'm moving a lot (posting at the trot for example). If you're going for a long trailride most of which will be at the walk, though, you might not find them warm enough. But you could add a silk liner.

The Kerrits were a) not warm at all; b) very plastic-y feeling and stiff; and c) the ladies large was too short in fingers (I *hate* that). And then, to top it off, after about the third time I wore them they split along one of the seams. Ugh.

The EMS gloves, ladies large, are a beautiful fit. Another possibility for making them slightly warmer would be to add those little hand warmer packs on the really cold days. Like today for instance.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

Default same thing w/ the mountain horse.

ladies medium had stubby little fingers and overall felt so tight.

i ordered the mittens for now.
    we are trail riding at a walk (rehab from suspensory) which is why i really need warm gloves. i wore my summer gloves in the indoor yesterday and that was fine. without the windchill factor 22F is not so bad

Those "Mountain Hardwear" brand gloves are great! They are designed as a liner as well, meaning there are no seams, they are very smooth and can be worn under other gloves. They are VERY warm by themselves as well.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...0&CS_010=76340

Default Dressage Art

not to sound argumentative, but i see you're from CA, how cold of temperatures do you ride in over there? b/c one person's cold may be another person's heat wave

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    I just cannot believe there's anything out there that will keep my fingers warm when temps drop below 20F, certainly not when it's windy.
    You can try having a pot of warm water before the ride and after the ride and stick your hands there to re generate the blood flow. Also rubbing your hands with alcohol will help as well. But, your are correct that in certain temps you just have to wear very thick gloves and forget about the intricate rein signals.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    not to sound argumentative, but i see you're from CA, how cold of temperatures do you ride in over there? b/c one person's cold may be another person's heat wave
    I lived in several countries and one time spend 4 years in Moscow where I did get the frost bite on my fingers riding. I remember not to be able to unbend my fingers after a ride too many times but, YES FINALLY I'm enjoying the warm California weather.

Default Dressage Art

question was regarding use of the gloves you recommended for riding. did you wear them while riding in Moscow or in CA?

i have gloves that keep me warm in 32F. i need gloves that will keep me warm in below freezing temps.

Default i ordered the mittens.

also, my gf told me she has a pair and that i can borrow them this weekend to ride. so i will report shortly on the SSG riding mittens. i also figure, that if they don't work well enough, it'll be easier to stuff hot pockets into mittens than into gloves (although it'd be pretty expensive to use hot pockets for every ride).

Originally I wore them for skiing in Lake Tahoe - don't remember what temps were there. They worked great as a liner for ANY gloves and I really liked that there are no seams on the fingers - they are smooth so they do not add to the bulkiness of the second pair of gloves. Also I was able to do about everything with out taking them off (just taking off a first waterproof pair)

I would highly recommend those gloves as a second pair liner or as main gloves depending on the temps.

I just bought a pair of Under Armor gloves but haven't tried them out yet. They're pretty thin and have grippy palms/fingers, so I really like that- just hope they're warm!!! (The HIGH here is 30 degrees today- and I'm a SOUTHERNER!!!)

The best gloves I have ever found were the $10 Isotoners from Walmart. I get the suede version so I have a good grip and feel. They are thin, practically wind resistant (which is where most of your heat is lost) and are insulated and lightly fuzzy on the inside for comfort and added warmth. Mine have lasted 2 seasons so far and while they don't look clean and pretty (I have no idea how to clean them) they are very very useful. I have worn them into the 20Fs and with a high windchill factor and been perfectly happy in them and I am one of those people that are always cold, especially in the hands and feet. I do add an elastic around the wrist to keep them snug but its very easy to do. In fact, I wish I could find something as good to keep my feet warm...
    Best gloves for riding ever.

Here's an alternative/addendum solution: "wrist huggers," found at http://www.boothuggers.com/wristhuggers.html (and that company has the BEST polarfleece socks, too!)

I haven't had my wrist huggers for long, but the time I tried them, I was out clearing snow for over 90 minutes and, for once, I didn't have frozen fingers.

Default battery powered glove liners?

Ok for the temps below 20 degrees...

has anyone tried those battery powered glove liners? Expensive but if they keep me from being miserable...

http://www.shop.activheat.com/produc...ceCode=froogle

My fingertips F-R-E-E-Z-E

The only glove type I haven't tried are the SSG mittens, but it looks like my pinky would still freeze!
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

[QUOTE=LDavis104;3810629]

My fingertips F-R-E-E-Z-E QUOTE]

Totally feel ya!
    I've had a tought time keeping my hands warm too! It was about 5 below on my last trip to the barn!
    I bought Heritage Extreme Winter gloves recently and they do a much better job of keeping the hands warm, but my finger tips still hurt/get cold. I've been debating a good liner, if I can find one at a local store as opposed to ordering. Unfortunately I am not going to be doing much riding this winter, but I still have to work him and be somewhat warm.
    Owned by 1 horse, 3 dogs, 2 cats, my 4yo son, a 1yr old cowgirl, and my hubby!