The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Giveing and supporting animals.

I know a woman that has horse business and she simply hates horse rescues,spca and hs. She does contribute to her faviorite Animal shelter. Its a farm, where a husband and wife spend their spare time taking in and carring for animals that otherwise would have gone to some shelter for a couple of days befor.... They have mostly horses. These horses are horses that people just can't keep anymore. Or there from rescues that can't afford or can't sell them. This woman told me that there is so many crooked rscues out there that its better to help people like these than give your money to crooks. She gives money, hay and sometimes a truck load of ear corn. These people keep as many animals as the can and do sell them to good homes. Difference being is they don't want to know your life history befor you can buy a horse. Just a good home and what ever you can afford for payment. Giveing to a place like this I can go with. there must be others out there. Even a good trustworthy rescue. I know they are far and inbetween, but there are some. I have seen myself, at super markets rescues ,PETA and others getting donations from people that don't even know what a horse looks like. Wheres the money go. I seen kids take handfulls out of the box and go buy goodies. I think all this animal welfare needs to be dumped upside down and replaced with somehing else. Its all gotten out of hand. Look at all the money that PETA, HSUS and others get in donations, not to mention the donations rescues get. I bet out of all this money there isn't enough left to to buy a load of hay. So maybe its time for a change. Theres no need for anyone not to have enough feed for their animals. Maybe there should be a co-op where people can come to for feed when their down and out. Instead of haveing spca come and arrest them for cruilty because they can't afford feed. People should be helped, not thrown in jail. It don't help the animals any.

Quote Originally Posted by LQ View Post
    They have mostly horses. These horses are horses that people just can't keep anymore. Or there from rescues that can't afford or can't sell them. This woman told me that there is so many crooked rscues out there that its better to help people like these than give your money to crooks.
    There's nothing like stereotyping and throwing out the baby with the bathwater!

There ARE bad rescues. There are bad vets, bad doctors, bad policemen, bad teachers.. in other words, there is bad in everything. Instead of trashing an entire group of people, many of who ARE doing good, perhaps we should support the good rescues and drive the bad ones out.

Look at all the money that PETA, HSUS and others get in donations, not to mention the donations rescues get. I bet out of all this money there isn't enough left to to buy a load of hay.
    PETA and HSUS get loads in donations. I'll agree with that - and it seems precious little of it goes to directly helping animals. But rescues? Not so much. Most rescues struggle for what they get and use it to help those animals in their care.

And there are rescues who buy hay to help owners who are down and out. We have done that a few times (not often - if we did, there are plenty of people who would take advantage of that and then hurt those truly in need). We've also educated owners, taught them how to care for their animals, and thus not had to take their horses.

So maybe its time for a change. Theres no need for anyone not to have enough feed for their animals. Maybe there should be a co-op where people can come to for feed when their down and out. Instead of haveing spca come and arrest them for cruilty because they can't afford feed. People should be helped, not thrown in jail. It don't help the animals any.
    I've been involved in a lot of seizures - and I cannot recall a single one where the owners said the reason their horses were skinny was because they couldn't afford to feed them. Most of the time, they completely deny that the horses ARE skinny. I've had cases where we (or individuals) have offered to buy hay/grain to help the owners get started and been turned down because, "There's nothing wrong with my horses". I've heard that when there are horses who have starved to death on the property - the owners insisted there was nothing wrong with them.

We HAVE taken in owner-surrendered horses when we show up on a neglect case, talk to the owner about proper care, and they tell us they can't afford the horse and want us to take them.

Rarely do we find someone who just needs a month or two of help to get back on their feet. I wish that were the case - I sure would like to be put out of business and have my life back.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by horsecrazy View Post

Again, might want to do some research here - in particular try looking up the Black Beauty Sanctuary and the Duchess Sanctuary - both developed by HSUS.

Jaeger, I admire your work with Vick's dogs, but really with the low blow b/c I said I'm an HSUS member? Really? You don't know how much I contribute, and even more important, the animal activist work I do or other ways I support HSUS or any organization. That was really unnecessary.

regarding the shelters that may have been "founded" by HSUS. Don't think so. Black Beauty Ranch was founded by Cleveland Amory and willed to HSUS. That's the best they can do in the whole country???
    They don't run any shelters or rescues anywhere, esp on a local or state level to help all the domesticated dogs and cats they like to use in their mailings. Period.

And it wasn't a low blow. You plainly stated in your post that you were an HSUS member and got your information from "their website". I didn't assume anything. I went on the information that YOU gave in your post. You didn't say you got information from your work with them or from your personal experience or anything else. You said you got it from THEIR website.
    Last edited by Jaegermonster; Jan. 18, 2009 at 08:43 PM.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin