The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me find the right helmet.. EDIT: Now with pics of smashed old helmet!

Well, as described in the 'Lucky to be Alive' thread, my helmet got smashed. It saved my life, but now resembles an experiment in very abstract art with the theme 'destruction'. (May the helmet rest in peace... Um, pieces.) I will get pics to put up on the thread. Anyway, it was a Tipperary Sportage (not Plus), and it fit well enough, but it looked like crap in my opinion. Hate the shape.

So I need to get a new helmet. I'm guessing my head is a long oval type, since IRHs, Troxels, etc didn't fit? And Tipperarys are supposed to be good for that? I need it for dressage, some showing. I heard Charles Owens were good for a long oval head. Do Tipperarys have any types other than the Sportage and Sportage plus?

I like the Charles Owen Wellington Professional...
    http://www.charlesowen.com/en/produc...ofessional.jpg

But I wouldn't mind it being velvet. Do velvet covers fit tightly and look as good as 'real' velvet helmets?

Also, here's the clincher; I'm on a serious budget, so I can't spring for something super expensive like the Charles Owen. Anything that has a similar fit and look, but for less $$$?

Hope someone here can help. Thanks!

EDIT: Without further ado, here is my poor, sad hero of a helmet.
    http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...a/DSC00153.jpg
    http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...a/DSC00178.jpg
    (Rest of the photos here: http://s547.photobucket.com/albums/h...20of%20Trauma/ )
    Last edited by downthecenterlinetheycome; Jan. 16, 2009 at 04:42 PM.

Who made your old helmet? Lots of manufacturers have discounted replacement policies.

Glad you are ok. Tipperary does not make any other models as of yet. If you are oval, international makes special long oval sizes in some of its helmets. That is probably your best bet on a budget. Do not do a velvet helmet cover- they never look right. There are also some CO's that are more reasonably priced if they fit. The Co JR8 is $140, and the young rider (not just for young riders) is like $100.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/irh-win...X1-3627/cn/39/

Available in long oval... I have one and I love it! Very similar look to a CO Hampton, but much cheaper.

Several International models are available in long oval, they're just hard to find. I just chose one that basically fit (in regular, not long oval) but was too snug front to back, then special ordered the same size in long oval. Any tack shop should be able to find out which they can get for you in your size...

My Charles Owen GR8 fits my oval head great. The best price I found was through Adams Horse Supply. I always wore a 6 7/8, but I took a 6 3/4 in the GR8. The GR8 fit me better then the other CO helmets. The GPAs don't seem to fit me well.

Thanks. Does anyone know the differences between the GR8 and the JR8, and the differences between those two and the Wellington Professional? Looks like the harness is different on the JR8; does that make any difference? Again, thanks.

My husband has a long oval head. Some of the COs fit him nicely, but International (IRH) helmets also fit him nicely. (The IRH also fit most budgets better, too. ) He has a CO GR8 (we both do) and an IRH helmet. The IRH fits him really nicely. His is the schooling / vented kind, but they make lots of nice velvet ones, too. Good luck... and I'm SO glad you're okay after your scary fall!

Quote Originally Posted by downthecenterlinetheycome View Post
    Thanks. Does anyone know the differences between the GR8 and the JR8, and the differences between those two and the Wellington Professional? Looks like the harness is different on the JR8; does that make any difference? Again, thanks.
    The JR8 technically is a junior (kids) helmet. I say technically because it does go up to adult sizes. It comes in my size (7 1/4), but when I tried it on it felt way, way too small. It fit around the circumference of my head, but it was not even close to coming down low enough on my head at all. Also, the JR8 has a synthetic chin strap and the GR8 has a leather one.

I would try on both if you're interested. I DO know some adults who fit fine in the GR8 and I'll add that I have a pretty large head. So your mileage with the JR8 may vary. It would NOT have worked for me. I have the GR8 and absolutely love it.

I have a CO jockey skull, but I cannot remember which model. I have showed in it with the cover it comes with. Yes I look like an eventer, but that thing is about the best helmet you can buy as far as safety. It saved my life. And it is super comfy.

If you search around, you can find on online for about $150. I got my first one so long ago I don't remember where it came from, and the replacement after my fall came from CO. And they have an excellent replacement policy BTW. They are lovely to deal with.

I have a long oval head, and I wear the JR8 and am an adult. I like it quite a bit

What helmet did you originally have?
    You should post photos as an ad for their helmets!

I ALWAYS ride in a helmet, including almost always warming FEI horses up in a helmet than changing into my top hat before I go in the ring.

I just didn't like the JR8. For some reason, it didn't feel as comfortable as the GR8 and the harness felt weird to me. It reminded me of the old days when you could put a nylon harness with a chin cup over a hunt cap to make it "safer" I had to wear one of those hideous contraptions for a while...baaaaddd memories.
    Overall, I would say the GR8 just looks and feels more adult like. My friend and I went helmet shopping together, tried on everything Dover had, and both got GR8s.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    Who made your old helmet? Lots of manufacturers have discounted replacement policies.
    I think Troxel's policy is that they replace your helmet at no cost (?) except shipping.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Well, as described in the 'Lucky to be Alive' thread, my helmet got smashed. It saved my life, but now resembles an experiment in very abstract art with the theme 'destruction'. (May the helmet rest in peace... Um, pieces.) I will get pics to put up on the thread.
    Also - keep the helmet as a lesson to others, AND I would write to the company, send them pictures, and a quick "Thanks for saving my life!" Heck, they may ask to use your photos in their advertising.

W.O.W.

Holy crap!

YAY FOR HELMETS!!!!

You should definitely send a thank-you note to Troxel. Those pictures are amazing.

If you're on a serious budget, Troxel makes a very nice helmet that I bought for my son: http://www.smartpakequine.com/produc...ctClassid=2656

It's possible that if Troxel has a replacement policy, you might get it for very cheap. It's not velvet, but it has a nice matte finish.

That helmet kept you alive.
    "The formula 'Two and two make five' is not without its attractions." --Dostoevsky

I think "Lucky to be alive" is a very overused phrase, but in your case it is very, very true.

Holy crap! You ARE lucky to be alive!

Definitely send Tipperary a letter with pictures or perhaps the remains of the helmet back to them. I'm sure they'll send you a big rebate on a new one for your testimonial.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry