The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Post a picture/video of you having a bad ride

I have been reading another post where someone posted not good pictures of them having a lesson on a green horse with some issues.

Maybe it's because I have a specialty of restarting remedial horses, that is horses with attitide issues having nothing currently to do with pain or tack fit. I also have some pretty horrible pictures of me in some pretty horrible positions riding those horses while we worked through those things. Sadly nobody seems to take pictures of when it goes right!

I'd like everyone to post a terrible picture of themselves and give the story and what you were doing wrong/right or trying to accomplish. It can't go right all the time.
    Last edited by enjoytheride; Jan. 14, 2009 at 10:18 PM.

Man, I wish I had some pics of my mare being a total fire-breathing monster. They would at least be funny to see.

I do remember this one time, she gave a REALLY hard buck, like really threw her weight into it.. I was CATAPULTED out of the saddle, was airborne ABOVE the saddle about a good foot.. then landed on the swells, and slid back into the seat. I'm kind of a lightweight rider (just over 100lbs), and she's 1250lbs of bulldog QH. You get the idea.

I'm glad it was a western saddle as it was the swells that saved me.. but another inch or two forward and I would've landed on the horn! Can you say.. OUCH!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Quote Originally Posted by enjoytheride View Post
    I'd like everyone to post a terrible picture of themselves and give the story and what you were doing wrong/right or trying to accomplish.

You go first!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Ah, chicken!

Ok! Here is one. This is her second horse show and the one where we discovered her herdbound issues. She's 100% sound but is very hot and sensitive and was ruined before she came to me. She gets tense, drops her back, puts her head up, and bolts or spins. I rode her for 4 months in a halter (with the bolting issues) because she wouldn't bend her legs with a bit in her mouth.

In this picture I was mostly concerned about staying on top and sort of doing the test, when she is upset she stops listening which makes me nervous. I talked the entire way through the test and had my legs out in front because she kept spinning and bolting. With her miles at shows have helped.

http://flickr.com/photos/20892581@N0...7603193445181/

In this video the ring doesn't have a gate but has a fence. She had never been anywhere with a fence around the ring and it made the herdbound issues much worse. She can jump XC fine, and jumps bigger fences at home fine. In this video she is stopping AFTER the fence and spinning to leave the arena then eyeing the next fence, trying to run for it, then spinning for the exit again. She schooled perfect that night and that morning. She showed the week before at a facility without a fence around the ring and did super, and showed two weeks after at a facility without a fence and did super.

For her, more time at places with gates and more time schooling forward and lots of dressage so she listens at shows. For me, not freaking out when my kick along quiet horse that morning turns into a monster so I can ride more effectively. She loves to jump and will jump anything, it's just everything in between, and oddly when she is way far away from her buddies she is fine but if she gets worked up it is hard to bring her down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg3Pq...e=channel_page

OTTB's first hunter show. He had a serious case of "giraffe" syndrome that we were trying to break him of. He disagreed with my trying to bring his head down
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...&id=1125720084

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Man, I wish I had some pics of my mare being a total fire-breathing monster. They would at least be funny to see.

I do remember this one time, she gave a REALLY hard buck, like really threw her weight into it.. I was CATAPULTED out of the saddle, was airborne ABOVE the saddle about a good foot.. then landed on the swells, and slid back into the seat. I'm kind of a lightweight rider (just over 100lbs), and she's 1250lbs of bulldog QH. You get the idea.

I'm glad it was a western saddle as it was the swells that saved me.. but another inch or two forward and I would've landed on the horn! Can you say.. OUCH!
    I had a friend break a hip from something similar...only in a dressage saddle. Her big ol' WB bucked really hard, and she came down on his back not quite centered, and up on the pommel. Ouch

worththewait, our horses must be related! Here's my OTTB's first show, with giraffe syndrome

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...r/DSCF0233.jpg
    Last edited by talkofthetown; Jan. 15, 2009 at 06:06 AM. Reason: spelling

some of us need pics of a GOOD ride.....just to break the monotony.

Ever since digital photography started, I delete it if it's ugly, so I'd have to go way back into the piles of pictures from the 90's to find something really bad.

I think the drama about the original thread wasn't about the riding, per se, it was more about the fact that the horse looked so cranky that it looked suspiciously like a pain issue to many of our eyes (mine included).

I had to dig back about 4 years for this one, but here you go: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/13751...58017139wBWJYh

What you don't see (b/c my husband courteously dropped the camera and ran to see if I was okay) is me spiraling through the air a few seconds after this photo.

Feisty little stallion, a friend of ours had just gotten him. We knew he was a gorgeous mover, and I told her I'd get up on him and WTC him around. He'd been out of work for a while, and had learned to get his original owner off with some bad behavior. I got him into the canter and when he didn't want to go anymore, he put his head down and propped a little. While, I popped him and made him go forward, whereupon he planted all four feet together, humped his back, and hopped up and down until he got me off. Sucker did it about 3 times in a row!

ETA: if you look in later pics in the album, you'll see that I am quite careful to keep my hands up and not let him drop his head!

He's now quite a nice little guy, and if he weren't so small (he was a twin) I'd take him in a heartbeat to be my eventer!
    Cucumbers, how prejudicial!

I can cook anything and make it taste like nothing.

Take a look at the pictures of my mare and she looks not just cranky but pissed too.

http://flickr.com/photos/20892581@N0...7603193445181/
    She did not want to be in that dressage arena away from her friends and every part of her body said so. The people I came with knew what was going on and I had let the judge know ahead of time as well. It is very hard for someone to look at pictures and judge what is going on or to assume the horse is in pain/not in pain. I think that there are probably plenty of horses that have pain related issues that make them unhappy but others have some sort of other baggage.

I think some horses have some mental issues that need to be worked through and it is very difficult to get these horses to relax any other way then riding through it and getting to the other side.

ninjashoes Guest

this thread has potential, keep em coming

Prepare to be amazed with video footage of some of the worst riding ever caught on tape! Try not to spit up on your keyboard. My arms are flapping, my butt is bouncing and my legs are a swaying. Have no idea what in the world I was thinking or doing. I fall off at the 4th fence in, do a nice tuck and roll, knees never touch the ground. The video guy thought it was so "special" that he put the fall off on again in slow motion so everyone could see just how much air I caught. Fun Times!!!!!

I think I posted this a few years back.
    Last edited by pds; Mar. 8, 2009 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    The video guy thought it was so "special" that he put the fall off on again in slow motion so everyone could see just how much air I caught. Fun Times!!!!!
    Holy crap, that IS some serious air. Yipes!
    One of the lessons of history is that Nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.
    - Will Durant

Quote Originally Posted by pds View Post
    Prepare to be amazed with video footage of some of the worst riding ever caught on tape! Try not to spit up on your keyboard. My arms are flapping, my butt is bouncing and my legs are a swaying. Have no idea what in the world I was thinking or doing. I fall off at the 4th fence in, do a nice tuck and roll, knees never touch the ground. The video guy thought it was so "special" that he put the fall off on again in slow motion so everyone could see just how much air I caught. Fun Times!!!!!

http://www.clipshack.com/Clip.aspx?key=9432A1F1494DE884

I think I posted this a few years back.
    Wow! Glad you guys were ok. If you were showing in Saint Louis I'm sure you were not the only ones to catch some air that day, though! The last STL show I went to I saw at least 10 riders come off...two with MAJOR crashes in the prix . We won't talk about my last show there. That ring and I never did get along.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedPanda View Post
    Holy crap, that IS some serious air. Yipes!
    Yep, serious air and my "dingle dangles" were a little sore the next day

I do not have any pictures of the hideous riding I am certainly guilty of in my time, nor of the naughty antics of my horse. I wonder how you all do it- seeming to have someone at the ready to photograph or videotape your rides. How do ya'll do that?

Anyway, there are a myriad of stories I could regale you with
    -the times we were asked to leave the ring for disrupting a lesson, or worse getting a lesson rider dumped [she was fine]
    -the times I've hung off the side of my horse frantically pressing my spur into the flap of the saddle to hang on
    -the times I've ridden out spook, after spook, after spook
    In actuality I've been known to polish my knuckles on my collar in pride that in the 18 years of owning my horse I've only come off completely 3 times. Sounds good, eh?

What I've come to realize is that while at the time I thought that I was a good rider because I stayed with him and did not get dumped... now I know that REALLY good riding means the horse doesn't act up in the first place. Good riding means anticipating and pre-empting those shenanigans. When I look back I do cringe at it all. In hindsight my horse was so tolerant and his retirement well earned for putting up with me and the poor riding I subjected him to. In the end my biggest regret is not having a little more time for him to enjoy
    the better quality riding he taught me after all those years of putting up with the bad.
    We're at the end and I'm saying 'wait! I can do better!'... but I had my chance.

The fall itself is impressive, yes, but what I find amazing is your recovery. You hit the ground (OUCH), do a backwards somersault, stand up and walk over to your horse all without missing a beat. I give it a "10"!

you know, sometimes, I feel you should just set up a webcam at my barn and follow me around, if you want consistently bad riding!!!
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Er so, when Olympians and Masters have horses spook, buck or rear it means that they suck at riding?

Because...er....it happens.

Sometimes the horse just prefers not to work with us - it's okay - they are allowed. They are animals (and that's why we work with horses and not motorcycles).

If you aren't willing to post your own snafus, hiding and being ugly and uppity says a world about you, and nothing about someone ballsy enough to say hey look, bad day, ha ha. I don't see anything that would warrant arrest, bleeding from my eyes, therapy, a high colonic, or even a gin and tonic in enjoytheride's pictures. Crabby mare, boring pics, next

The internet, the haven of all those so perfect in their own little world they can never, ever, share it with the rest of us. They are too busy telling everyone else how much they suck. Demented and sad, but social.

I recall another board years back with a girl who could quote every Old Dead Dressage Guy by page and paragraph. I rode with her sometime after getting to know her online. I was a little nervous. Yall she was a damn monkey on a football, LOL, terrible position, not just a chair seat, a barcalounger seat. Mare all farting along, waddling like a little duck. She had sit up down pat, but the rest, notsomuch. I try to remember her when someone's all words, no jpegs