The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How on earth does this happen??

So, night before last I go to do evening feed. It's dark and cold. I have on a hat, my jammies, sweatshirt, insulated bibs and a coat. I reach up to undo my draftie's fly mask (he has eye issues and wears it everyday) .. and it's got some partially dried red clay on it and yep.... there it goes... in less than a second I feel a good handful of mini red clay mud/dirt dancing spitefully across my belly and running joyfully to the waistband of my yoga pants. Oh joy. I just know that I'll warm up doing barn chores which will cause the clay/dirt to stick to my skin and melt there imitating a first class case of heat rash. Sigh

And last night, I spent 2 hours on the cell phone/computer working out ride times for the Sat show. The phones dies at least 4 times... and the reception was spotty at best. So, yes I am slightly fried. I go to do night hay. Incidentally wearing the same attire as the night before. This entails walking to the shed and getting half a bale of hay and tossing it into 6 piles over the fence. All of about 10 minutes time in which I manage to get hay in my hair (hat must have a hole in it).. and a good number of pieces inside my sweatshirt...the majority of which will elude me until 2 or 3 am. At least one of which will have traveled into my underwear. I swear there is a pile of hay in the living room by the back door from me walking in and out. I had nicely agreed to move SO's car into the garage since he was in PJ's. So, after haying I hop into the car, start it and drive into the garage. Turn off car. reach over to door and am unable to find door handle. uhm...ok, look I must just be unable to feel it because of the gloves. I have driven this car once before ever, but surely I can find the door handle. frrrrankenfurter.... still no door handle. Ok, so don't panic. Just pop on the over head light.... oh that obvioulsy is activated by a switch on the freakin' dashboard. Oh my GOD! WTF!!!! It's 20 degrees outside in the pitch black garage and I trapped in the freaking car??!!! Ok, so I'll call the house on the cell phone and hope spouse will answer and come get me out.... oh wait, no cell phone. Deep Breath. You still have the keys, put them in the ignition and hope that that will turn on some freakin' light so you can see the handle to GET OUTTA THE CAR. Only it helps if you can find the damn ignition..... grrr.... piece of...oh there we go.

So far today hasn't turned to crap yet.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/

It's early yet.
    "Uh, if you're going to try that, shouldn't you unplug it first?"

So where was the door handle?

Just wait until the arctic blast comes tonight... things will get worse! I'm so NOT looking forward to night check tonight and feeding in the morning. These are the rare occasions that I actually miss boarding my horse somewhere!

And, um.... you're showing on Saturday? I hope you're going to FL, otherwise you have seriously lost your mind . I'm not looking forward to my lesson on Saturday morning in the INDOOR! Supposed to be a high of like 20 on Saturday. Yuck.

Talking

You made me laugh out loud big time That was so funny. I have done some crazy stuff like that too so don't think for a second you are the only one.

One thing too I am curious where was the door handle? What kind of car was it you have my curiosity boiling now.
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Default Two things

I always carry a small flashlight with me on night check, and

you could have blown the car horn ! ( Um, are we sisters and just don't know it?)
    "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Hey, I'm right there with all of you. I'm leaving for FL on Saturday, so sis calls today to tell me to bring warm clothes... its going to be in the 20's this weekend down there! ARGGHHHH!
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Ummm I won't tell all of you how it was 70 in san francisco today, too hot to put my coat on as I left work.

Although we need some rain! Last year the barn was flooding right about now, this year the paddocks are a dust bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by KPF View Post
    Just wait until the arctic blast comes tonight... things will get worse! I'm so NOT looking forward to night check tonight and feeding in the morning. These are the rare occasions that I actually miss boarding my horse somewhere!
    Yeah, boarding is good...except when the trainer, who happens to own the barn where you board, packs up and goes to FL the night of the biggest snow storm this year (Wednesday night) and coldest temps we've had so far (last night through this weekend) and YOU are the one who gets to house/farm sit during this period of time

As far as dirt/hay etc? Yeah, I feel your pain OP. I'm a dirt magnet. I can't walk through the barn without being covered in something-hay, sneezes, shavings 10 seconds is all it takes for me to look like I've been at the barn for hours.
    Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
    http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
    *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

The thought of having hay in my jammies is making me itch!

Oh, my, yes.

I can wear a turtleneck, a pullover, a hoodie, and a zipped-up Carhart to go feed and throw hay - and STILL get hay down my ##*%&@## BRA.
    Incredible Invisible

Default Toyota Matrix

The door handle is up by the window. WTF???!!!!
    So, teh weekend does not get that much better. We did decide to cancel the show..after I spent 2 hours walking around organizing... the footing was just too darn frozen. Which necessitated two hours of phone calls to make sure everyone knew not to come. DH is out of town at a meeting..of course. So at 9:30pm the fire alarm in the house goes of for a minute or so. Oh lovely. It's a whole house wired in system. It's a piece of crap. So, at 1:30 am when it goes off again, I am pretty tourqued. Mostly because my dogs are sleeping with me and the alarm freakes them out. The 55 lb. hound dog decided that sitting on top of me and shaking and whining is the way to go. So, I get up and go downstairs to get a chair to try to disable to POS. In the process, I knock the mail off the table....crap. Pick it up as I KNOW the HD from hell likes to eat paper ....and replace it on the table. I drag the chair upstairs and attemp to disable the alarm. This sort of works except now it does one beep every 10 minutes, which really freaks out the dogs as they wear the shock collars, so they think they are going to get shocked. One crawls in the bath room, the hound dog alternates between sitting on me and whining and shaking and crawling into my closet. So, finally at about 3:30 am I manage to rip the alarm out of the ceiling without electrocuting myself. Whew! Although really at this point... does it matter? Only one random alarm out of the office alarm about 10 minutes later and FINALLY we get some sleep. And then I discover that the LL Bean refund check that WAS sitting on top of the mail has uhm...dissappeared. So Monday I got to call the LL Bean lady and explain to her how my dog ate my refund check and can they just credit my card?! Luckily, she had a sense of humor.
    Shoulders back, hands down, leg ON!

http://mellvinshouse.blogspot.com/