The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: The temperature will be LOW tonight...what say you? Inside the barn, or outside?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Inside and toasty warm (maybe)

58 35.58%
  • Outside—I'm a critter, I WANT to be outside.

49 30.06%
  • At your house: *in* the barn when it gets cold!

40 24.54%
  • At your house: Outside you critters!

32 19.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Mine are all out with no blankets or run-in, but plenty of windbreaks and hay. They're typically out 24/7 (unless we have freezing rain). I currently have more horses than stalls, so I open up the indoor for a couple if it's really blowing. All they do is use it as a giant litter box, then they're right back outside. Even the stalled horses spend more time out in the runs. Seems like the stalls are also just used as litter boxes. Bunch of ungrateful slobs.
    Is it me or do 99.9% of cowboys just look better with their hats on?
    <><

Mine are out. The two clipped ones have heavyweight turnouts on and the yak gelding is nekkid. So is the pony, who is a big ol' poof of fur and nice and toasty warm whenever I check. They all have access to stalls and there are pleanty of wind breaks around. They also have loads of hay and a heated water trough.

Out. Unless you have an unusually warm barn, you are doing horses a HUUUUGE disservice to deprive them of their natural warm-up activity, which is activity. WHY do horses explode into avtivity when you turn them out in cold weather, no matter how treacherous the footing? They're COLD!!! Leave them out; let them regulate their OWN temperature.

"no matter how treacherous the footing" is precisely the key! rock-hard frozen is treacherous for my ding dong clutzes. I much prefer them in where I can blanket them heavily if necessary, and keep them from injuring themselves!

Mine will go outside during the summer and run around like an idiot, so I'm not entirely sure it is from being cold, although that certainly is a reason they run around during the winter. I think they just feel good.
    My horse is boarded, so he is in every night (or day during the summer) and he does go out every day regardless of weather (unless there is crazy hail or a bad lightening storm). He was in last night with a heavyweight, and will be in tonight with a heavyweight.

Mine are inside when it's in the single digits-that's COLD for for us. I worry about water intake-I go out late in the PM and top the buckets up with warm water. If I had a heated water source they would be outside-I'm sure they would be happier if they were out.

Default Out, always

It was minus 22 at my house this morning. All the horses were out, no blankets. A little frost on the whiskers, but perfectly happy with run-ins, round bales, tank heaters. And the most glorious winter coats I've ever seen! The oldest is the original baymare, age 29. If it were windy or sleety I would consider blanketing her, but I wouldn't bring her in because she would be terminally p*ssed off!

It was -31 degrees actual temperature, -40+ with windchill for the last few nights. Ours have a moderate coat (have been blanketed since fall), and they wear heavyweights or midweights during the day, but they don't want to be out in that. They stand at the gate and beg to come in. It's getting warmer now (5 above), but their routine is to come in in the winter. When there is dangerous windchills like we had last week, I don't think it's wise to leave them out, even though they have a shed.
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Thumbs up

My guy is out with access to his stall (3 sided run in facing South), lots of hay and a heated auto waterer. He woul;dn't have it any other way
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member TROT www.trot-md.org, Mt Airy Saddle Pals https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mount...70438446334624 & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

It completely depends on the coat, clip, age, condition and comfort of the horse, combined with the owner/caregivers personal preference, the type of work the horse preforms (if any), and the value of the horse. Then factor in the logistics regarding the resources and the structures available at the facility where the horse resides.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.