The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: The temperature will be LOW tonight...what say you? Inside the barn, or outside?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Inside and toasty warm (maybe)

58 35.58%
  • Outside—I'm a critter, I WANT to be outside.

49 30.06%
  • At your house: *in* the barn when it gets cold!

40 24.54%
  • At your house: Outside you critters!

32 19.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Mine are out. The tank heater keeps the water in the pasture clear of ice and they drink better out there. My barn is a shedrow style so not very warm. Clipped mare has two heavy weight blankets and the non-clipped mare just has one blanket. They seem happy and comfortable.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Mine are at home and I voted *in* but only because I don't have run-in sheds.

My 22yo pony really prefers the fair weather. Any weather extremes and he sulks, occasionally gets mad! The 2 young TBs are ok about being out. But by 4:30 or 5pm - they're all standing at the corner of the paddock that faces the house waiting for me. The 3 amigos

Where my horse is, the barn can't even persuade him to go out during the day for longer than 5 minutes. He has decided he is a hot flower horse & he is coming in NOW. After 5 minutes he is ready to jump the fence. They have tried different fields & always with hay but it is a no go. Weather report says it is a balmy -8F right now at the barns...
    "Marty, Quarter Horse Extraordinaire, Most Pleasant Packer, Companion To The End. May his suffering be little, his passing be easy and may we find each other again, drawn by love and kindred spirit."

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post
    AND, what are YOU doing ... leaving yours in or putting them out.

It was in the single digits most of the day here with snow and our guys were out all day. In fact when I went to the barn after work, my mare was outside in the snow instead of standing inside her stall.

Surprisingly, I slipped my hand underneath her blanket and she was pretty toasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
    Mine are out. The tank heater keeps the water in the pasture clear of ice and they drink better out there. My barn is a shedrow style so not very warm. Clipped mare has two heavy weight blankets and the non-clipped mare just has one blanket. They seem happy and comfortable.
    Thats a good point. Given either turnout with access to ice free water or in with frozen water, I'd too go for the turnout in that situation.

I board my horse at a local barn and he is on the cheaper option, pasture, so naturally he stays outside 24/7. He loves it and tonight it is dropping to five degrees! He has a nice winter coat in and a heavy weight blanket (in addition to a shoulder guard which really doesn't add much warmth but it probably helps with drafts in the front of the blanket). He is also out with a number of other horses and they have a nice big round bale to munch on and a run in shed if they need it.

In - but only because it is easier on me and DH.

IN...You'll be warmer in the morning not having to trudge around out there......
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Its -31 here right now all 30 of ours are outside from the 08 foals to the 27 year old stallion munching on round bales to keep warm. Our high today was -5 everyone was romping around in the sun playing even the brood mares.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

-13 actual temp, w/c -20 something. At home and they're all out 24/7, 365. Naked w/ round bales, heated water in their tanks, wind blocks and they're happy and warm. Those that take mid morning naps, did so in the sunshine in the snow today, as usual.

Gonna be in the teens tomorrow... woo hoo!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Mine would be out with blankets but they have 24/7 access to their stalls. About the only
    time they would be locked in is icy weather. In Colorado, they came in for the blizzards
    with the dutch doors closed as previous owners had faced the stalls to the west (prevailing winds). Had to dig them out the next day, though......
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Quote Originally Posted by bird4416 View Post
    Mine are in the barn. With no turn-out sheds in the pasture and 20mph winds with 10degree overnight lows predicted, they were more than ready to come in to the barn.
    same here-except mine HAVE sheds-they looked at the sheds and then me asking-do you REALLY think that little box will do us any good?

Mine normally live out all the time and every single one was waiting by the gate to come in.

I have created sissies.

The ground will be rock hard, the water will be frozen, the grass will be grass-sicles.

A night in to practice being a show horse never hurts.

Now that said, my mini donkeys are out because both of them are nervous in barns.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default O=U=T

It was -12 here yesterday morning and when I went to feed (like g&b, after piling myself into layers, layers & more layers) both my boys were out play-fighting in the snow.
    My Old Guy is 27 and was acting 1/5 his age
    They are wearing canvas thermal-lined turnouts and have free access to stalls if they want.
    {shrugs} So their choice is Out.
    I am feeding hay like there is no tomorrow - nearly an entire 55# bale a day but I'd rather waste some than have them expend a single extra calorie trying to keep warm.

Today I'm going to check Erewhon Outfitters online to see if I can find a one-piece solution for ME to wear!

time to start putting myself together for breakfast at the barn.....
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Mine are out 24/7 with access to their stalls. It was -17 when I fed at 5AM. Frosty heads, icicles on the muzzles and eyelashes and happy happy happy as can be. My gelding cannot handle being locked in and his old man friend goes where ever he goes. Both are in medium turnouts which will come off when temp rebound. I chose out because of the above reasons and the heated tank outside.

By choice they were OUT at 5AM when I headed outside. And they were just playing in the sun. I let them tell ME what they want. And this is with a brand new barn and bedded 12 x 12 stalls. Horses know what they want...

OUT.

I have two in stalls, but I'm haveing trouble keeping thier weight up. I feel that keeping them in has helped quite a bit. There is a third that I *think* would like to have a stall, but that's not an option. She also has weight issues too, so I now bring her in in the afternoon for a snack and then backout she goes. The skinnies also have blankets on. Not bundled up like a little kid in a snow suit, just one.

Only if if is raining do I keep the blanket horses in but that's because they have old blankets on that aren't waterproof enough any more.

Stalls are OUR idea, not thiers. Horses that stand at the gate and 'cry' are bored and/or looking for a snack. Especially if they only/mostly associate you with food. That's why they pitch a fit when you appear! They think they are getting something!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    Geez, if you have a barn bring them in.
    Horses are Ice Age animals; they die of heat, not cold in general. They are not us! Outside they are actually warmer. They can move around and get next to eachother. Plenty of hay is what they need to keep warm as long as it's not freezing rain.

Mine are in. While it does get cold up here, it doesnt get THIS cold. 9 degrees and blowing winds...they are staying in. If anything...I worry about the wind breakign a limb and them running on the frozen ground and hurting themselves.

They are out now since the sun is shinning and will return in tonight.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

It was -8 F this morning when I fed. All four horses were out (by choice) although two had frozen whiskers!

I used to worry about them getting cold, but they get plenty of hay and they can move around more outside than they would in a stall.

I also prefer for them to be out as it's easier to make sure they have enough water. We don't have heated water buckets in the stalls but they do have a large heated tank. Access to water is a big concern of mine during winter.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

My five are in, toasty warm in their stalls with lots of hay and a late night warm forage soup. But mine are in every night in the winter, and out all day.

If I had the land for 24 hour turnout, what I did on a night like last night would depend on how much wind break and shelter I have, and hay. I'm on a ridge here, and the only break they get is from the run-in shelter, which isn't big enough for all of them and Jazz likes to hog it. So I'd probably bring them in any night that the temps are under freezing and the wind is over 10mph. But my guys are older and spoiled...

I'm sure the midwest and Canadian folks are rolling their eyes at us cold-weather lightweights!
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Mine are outside with blankets on. They can come into the barn if they wish and in this cold they do. It is not warm in the run-in, but it keeps them out of the wind. None of mine ever have sniffles or wheezes, like some get that are kept in. They will get extra hay...not that they need it...all are quite round, but the extra fibre will keep them warmer.