The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: The temperature will be LOW tonight...what say you? Inside the barn, or outside?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Inside and toasty warm (maybe)

58 35.58%
  • Outside—I'm a critter, I WANT to be outside.

49 30.06%
  • At your house: *in* the barn when it gets cold!

40 24.54%
  • At your house: Outside you critters!

32 19.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Mine really ,really ,really prefer being out...but the have no shelter.Last few nights they were fine,but today they were hunkered down in a corner of the paddock that is a little bit out of the wind.I guess they would be okay out ,but i don't think they will move around very much,and their buddies in the next field who have no shelter either will be in.So in tonight and most likely tomorrow night.Something about single diget temps saya "come on in the house ,boyz." If they had shelter I would leave them out.

My own horses are out with round bales, shelters and seemed quite happy munching hay. I don't normally put round bales in the fields but I felt the extra cold weather warranted the extra hay. My boarders are in...which is what they pay for.

Mine is only 8 months old - so he is going IN with the pony who keeps him company. They have an automatic waterer and a brand new shed with a big old roundbale of first cut - but I think at his age he should be inside! They both HATE going in their stalls too! I guess it's more for my peace of mind at night!

Quote Originally Posted by CanterQueen View Post
    They have a run-in shed as well. I only bring them in for the night if it's raining hard and windy and cold. They're all fat boys, so I think they're doing just fine.
    Ditto. Plus I have their run ins bedded very nicely and they are cleaned 4X/day so nice and clean too. I only bring in with freezing rain and 33 and cold/wet weather or humongous blizzard weather. FWIW, all my run ins face south and stay pretty warm, even in the windiest weather (which generally comes from the NW this time of year)

Mine are out. They all have high neck or full neck blankets on. They all have a brand new round bale in front of them and auto waterers that don't freeze (the balls sometimes freeze but are easily knocked down...I might have to kick them loose in the morning).

I honestly think, depending on the barn set up, they might be warmer out as long as they have a blanket and windblock. I think standing around in a stall might be colder than moving around outdoors.

Mine are fat AND fuzzy, but yes, they're in. In In In.

My princesses would have it no other way. Truly, the OTTB would never go out if given the choice and the Dutch mare thinks that she should come in after 15 minutes.

Our large pastures have no shelter, and because we built a farm on what was once a 35 acre bean field, there are no trees and nothing stops the wind.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    Geez, if you have a barn bring them in.
    Why? What's your reasoning?

They're horses. They're meant to be out.

If it's wet, or they don't have shelter, or they look simply miserable at any point, sure, bring them in. But otherwise? Mine stay out. It's supposed to be a windchill of -20 tomorrow morning, and mine will still be out (no blankets, but they do have access to a couple of stalls if they want to come in... doubtful they will though).

With no run in sheds, mine are in. But only three are blanketed and it will be -3 tonight or so.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I'm in NoVa, and mine is in. Generally the horses at my barn are on 24/7 turnout, however the last few days, they have been in at night. They don't have any shelter in the fields, so figured they would prefer to be in. My TB is prince foo foo and is cold in anything under 40ish, so he's in his heavyweight blanket, with a ton of hay in his stall.

I have one pasture of horses who would rather be out than in, under any circumstances.

So they have a fresh, beautiful round bale, a huge heated water tank and are each wearing TWO heavy weight blankets.

I think they will be fine.

Mr. Coffin Bone is in, but he would be anyway. His pasturemate is w/him. I only have one boarder right now and she is in, as per her owners wishes. The ponies are in their run-in/paddock.

I actually worry more about the ones who are in. It seems like when they are out, in their herd, they have their patterns of eating/drinking/sleeping and they stick to them. Once inside, they all act differently.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I said outside, but mine have free choice, out or in their deep bedded run in barns. Winter coats, no blankets. During the day, as long as the sun is shining, they like to be out sunbathing on the south side of their barns. Locked inside and I've got at least one ticking time bomb! So it's the ideal situation and they keep moving around and keep warm that way.

Outside, hairy, plenty of hay and a shed. Happy as can be at -3º at the moment.

My horses are outside during the day with 3 blankets on and in the barn at night. They feel warm under their blankets. They will get lots of hay and water.

Single digits tonight so I am bringing mine in. Mind you, going down at 10 pm to do so. I usually leave them out but single digits and wind, in they will come. But right back out tomorrow morning.

Well, it's currently -14.6 degrees here, without the windchill, with windchill, we're looking at -40 for a low. Mine is in. He's furry and blanketed but he's a retired show horse and likes to be inside when it get COLD, hay or now hay. Those temps are just a little too low for me.

I tried to get the kids out tonight while I did stalls. Fat hairy pony marched out and had a blast playing in the snow. The princess tiptoed out, looked around, and did a 180 leaping back into her stall and shivered against the wall (she has a full winter coat and a super heavy blanket...) Cranky pants fat gelding wasn't given the option. When you try to kill the new rescue pony on Monday, you don't get to play on a limited turnout day.

Everyone is snuggled in for the night though. Even fat hairy, lived outside everyday of his 15 years pony, came in when the wind got going...
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

The horses at the barn I work at are all outside tonight. They are always out and only come in to be fed in the mornings and then go back out. The only time they stay in is if it's a blizzard. No blankets, no run ins, etc though it is an island and they have woods and what not to find shelter in. It's supposed to be 3 degrees tonight and in the teens tomorrow.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Mine are jammied up, hayed out the wazzooo, and they have heaters in their tanks- they are OUT! They are happier, and better off, all the way around, if they can eat, drink, and move, in this weather. I am no fan of impaction colics, and the like.

Many years ago, I kept my hothouse flowers in. Then I remembered that they were...HORSES...
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

My horse is boarded and stays in at night anyway, but today the barn did not do turnouts. The temp hovered somewhere around -10 for most of the day, right now it is -14.

If your horses are furry and bundled up and have hay to munch all night, they'll probably be fine in 9*. Especially if they're used to living out all the time.

I voted out, but mine have the barn as their run-in, so they can choose. Right now, it is 8* w/ a -10* windchill.
    Cheryl in WNY
    Horse Kids Kit & Bobby