The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: The temperature will be LOW tonight...what say you? Inside the barn, or outside?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Inside and toasty warm (maybe)

58 35.58%
  • Outside—I'm a critter, I WANT to be outside.

49 30.06%
  • At your house: *in* the barn when it gets cold!

40 24.54%
  • At your house: Outside you critters!

32 19.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default POLL: It's going to be 9 degrees tonight—do we put the horses IN or leave them out?

AND, what are YOU doing ... leaving yours in or putting them out.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

I'm in No. VA and mine are not clipped. I blanket with medium weight blankets, give them lots of hay to much on and leave them all out. They have a run-in shed as well. I only bring them in for the night if it's raining hard and windy and cold. They're all fat boys, so I think they're doing just fine.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Poll's up now, CanterQueen. VOTE!! Yours sound like mine ... fat boys!!
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

The HIGH of the day today is below zero here. My boys are outside. They are heavily blanketed, have a run in shed, and plenty of hay. Last report... they are playing in the snow and not using the run in yet.
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

I have one butterball fat pony and two OTTBs. They are out all the time unless it we have cold rain, then they're in. Right now, they're out, unclipped, in med. weight Rambos. They have access to a run-in and plenty of woods to use as a wind block. I'd worry more about them being in w/frozen water buckets than I do about them being out.

We have a shetland pony happy to be out, a fat QH gelding, happy to be out, a my sensitive as a flower TB mare, that wants to be on my couch in slippers with hot chocolate.

Being that gelding and pony still don't want to be friends, and my girl is too fragile to be out today (the high is 9 and low is -20) they are staying in tonight, and tomorrow too. Saturday they will likely get a trip out again.

My girl and the QH don't care...but this is pony's first indoor living experience, and he is less than pleased with his accommodations (14x14 warm snuggly stall... go figure)
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Mine are also at home. I have a 26 year old who is fat and furry, another geriatric also fat and furry, my competition horse who was clipped earlier but still has a short coat, and my friends horse, who is not clipped but has been kept blanketed. IF I could turn them all out together, I would leave them out with access to stalls. However, I have to keep the two boys separated, which means, only two of them have access to the stalls. So... when the windchill is 5 degrees tonight!!! They will all be locked in! That way there is no fighting and they all have protection from the wind. Last night the windchill was 18 and they were out, but blanketed appropriately.

I would prefer them to be out but when it's EXTRA cold...especially when they aren't used to it...like this sudden drop!, in they go.

I'm going to bring mine in tonight. They have access to their stalls 24/7 so I rarely ever keep them in. I dont even bring them in when it rains b/c they can come in if they want. My farm's property backs up to a reservoir so when it gets in the teens it can REALLY get chilly and windy fast. They are calling for wind and 9• Tonight, so I'm planning on taking them in and closing up the barn for the night. One is clipped and already in 3 blankets.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Both. He has a stall with 24/7 access to the paddock. His choice. Based on the piles I find in the morning, he is out more than in.

Geez, if you have a barn bring them in.

I am double blanketing (with a hood) my trace clipped fellow and heavy blanketing the fuzz ball. Said fuzz ball coming 26 this year, so I worry about him, just a mom thing. If it gets windy, I have asked for them to come in. Otherwise, at least outside they can move around and eat hay and they can go in the woods if they want. Unheated barn, but again, if it is windy or precipitating, they come in.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I'm at a 5 stall co-op. The turnout paddocks don't have any shelter, so when the wind chill is double-digits below (-27 right now) they stay in.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
    Geez, if you have a barn bring them in.

Why? Really, I'd like to know why you think they should be in.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Outside! They have access to shelter, blankets, lots of hay and a heated water tank. They prefer to be out.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

If wet/windy/icy - bring in.

If dry cold and tank heaters and blankets are in place - leave out.

Out.

The only two who are locked in at the moment are both on stall rest.

I've blanketed the skinnies, and the fatties are happy as clams with their own fur coats. They all have sheds and rarely use them, but it makes me feel better to know that if they want to use them they can

I'd rather have them out and moving around then locked in
    -Jessica

Oh, god, 9 above for an overnight low will be heaven. If it ever gets that warm again, mine will start shedding...and maybe I'll run around outside in shorts and tee shirt for a little while. Just because I'm so damn sick of putting on 50lbs of winter clothes and STILL freezing my face, hands, and feet. And then having to take that 50 lbs of winter clothes off when I come in. Four times a day.

I'm bringing my old cushings horse into the paddock and letting her use the barn if she wants, the other 2 are young and healthy and can stay out with the shed. None of them want to be in a stall. None of them have blankets on. I'm in virginia, it will be unsually cold the next few days, I think the horses will be fine though. I stacked up extra straw for the goat shed and my husband took care of the hounds with extra straw,he built them a big shed, he has their dog houses inside the shed up on bales of straw and straw on top of the dog houses and he put a tarp up in the entry of the shed. Last night when I checked on the dogs, none of them were inside, they were running around destroying the dog beds I mistakenly bought the other day and put in their dog houses.

Mine are in the barn. With no turn-out sheds in the pasture and 20mph winds with 10degree overnight lows predicted, they were more than ready to come in to the barn.

I stopped by the barn about 2 hours before normal bring in time. I had just been planning on popping by to make sure G was warm enough and dry in his blanket (it is older and I don't trust the waterproofing). Well there my horse is by the gate, crying his wimpy little head off "I WANT IN NOW"....

Ok... in he goes.