The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Previcox?

How are you folks getting vets to give you Previcox? The ones I've asked, in Salt Lake City and now Wisconsin (brrr!), have countered with Equioxx - which, sorry, much as I love him, just isn't in the budget.

An elder Morgan, he's been on Bute quite a while...and while it was said recently that long term bute for a 30+ years old isn't like long term for a 4yo, still, I'd like to see how Previcox does.

Suggestions?
    Thanks.

Find a new vet?

My large animal vet was excited when I showed him the numbers behind giving Previcox to horses and started suggesting it to his clients. He had no problem writing a script for me.

If you have a good relationship with your small animal vet, you may be able to get it there as well. My small animal vet gave me a bunch of samples.

I explained the whole thing to my vet (in SLC, by the way). He went off into the back office, looked it up online, confirmed what I had told him, was delighted to find a lower cost alternative for his clients, and ordered a bunch. I still pay him a mark-up, but even so...

My vet wanted to use Equinoxx first to see if it worked for the 14 days and if it did he said that he was willing to let me try the Previcox. Before he agreed to the Previcox I sent him a link to the threads on COTH and that was enough to convince him that other vets had prescribed it and it was working. I also sent him before and after video with the proof that it was working for my gelding.

My vet suggested it. He also works on dogs, so it was probably in his reperatoire.

However, he can't write me a scrip for it as a horse owner/patient-- he has to buy it for his office stock, then deliver it. So sometimes, we wait a while for it.

My vet sent a prescription to Alivet for me and I paid $98 for an 8 month supply.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondindykin View Post
    My vet wanted to use Equinoxx first to see if it worked for the 14 days and if it did he said that he was willing to let me try the Previcox. Before he agreed to the Previcox I sent him a link to the threads on COTH and that was enough to convince him that other vets had prescribed it and it was working. I also sent him before and after video with the proof that it was working for my gelding.
    Since Previcox and Equioxx, are identical chemical compounds, what was his issue? That's like buying Bayer aspirin, over generic aspirin. They are both USP labeled drugs.

I hope he makes more intelligent decisions in other fields? Doesn't he keep up with things? The AAEP has a forum where they kick around this and that--my vet subscribes to it.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Since Previcox and Equioxx, are identical chemical compounds, what was his issue? That's like buying Bayer aspirin, over generic aspirin. They are both USP labeled drugs.
    By using the product labelled for equines for a couple weeks before switching to Previcox, you're covering your ass in case something happens. If the horse has a reaction to the Equioxx, you can go to Merial and seek compensation. If the horse has a reaction to Previcox, you're SOL. I think it's pretty smart to start with Equioxx and establish if the horse tolerates the drug before moving to the finacially prudent option.

I hope he makes more intelligent decisions in other fields? Doesn't he keep up with things? The AAEP has a forum where they kick around this and that--my vet subscribes to it.
    He explained to me exactly the way Simkie did!! He is actually very intelligent vet by the way and is a member of AAEP among others

Default Previcox?

Thank you, all.

I knew I'd get some good ideas here.

(Well, of course - where else did I learn about Equioxx, Previcox...and peeps for horses!!)

cheers,

I presented the information to my vet after finding that a horse we had did beautifully on Equioxx. I showed her that this horse could receive the same dosage with 1/4 of a tablet of previcoxx and at a fraction of the price (believe it was 40 cents a day). She said she'd prescribe it for off label use and see how it went. She was thrilled with the results I had so much that she's spread the word on to several other clients.
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

The issue may be that, strictly speaking, it violates ELUD regulations *because* there is a form of the drug specifically labelled for the species for which the *other* drug form is being prescribed.
    And the FDA has decided, in its wisdom, that cost isn't a "valid" excuse.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Out of curiousity, exactly what are you using Previcox for? We have it for a dog with arthritis in her elbow... but what kinds of situations are you using it for that you are having results?
    Isnt it bacon flavored?

The tabs I've got aren't bacon-flavored (I haven't tasted, but they don't smell bacon-flavored), but they are sweet-- the Rouxster eats them like Ted eats Peeps! She's used them for a suspensory ailment-- old tear, periodic flare-ups.

I was talking to a small animal vet today about giving Previcoxx to my horse and she was concerned about the difference in metabolizing of Previcoxx in horses versus dogs, since of course it was not intended for horses. Has anyone actually used Previcoxx on their horse for any length of time or do you know of any studies? I am on the Equioxx train, it is super expensive but much better than bute, and I would love the reduced cost of Previcoxx, though it wouldn't be worth it if it really is not as equal to Equioxx as it sounds.

Why does your vet think that firocoxib for dogs would be metabolized any different than firocoxib for horses?

AFAIK, there are no inactive ingredients in Equioxx or Previcox that affect how it is metabolized.

Not quite the same, if there was a generic version available then what you say would be true, but as Ghazzu already pointed out, what you have here is two drugs labeled for different species, even though they are the same active, you could get in trouble with extra label use given that there is an approved version for horses...

Just read the package insert....not sure this stuff is all that great for long term use, there are tox findings at the effective dose.... Short term seems OK, but I don't know that I'd be giving this every day long term......(not that Bute is any better)
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Quote Originally Posted by hosshopper13 View Post
    I was talking to a small animal vet today about giving Previcoxx to my horse and she was concerned about the difference in metabolizing of Previcoxx in horses versus dogs, since of course it was not intended for horses. Has anyone actually used Previcoxx on their horse for any length of time or do you know of any studies? I am on the Equioxx train, it is super expensive but much better than bute, and I would love the reduced cost of Previcoxx, though it wouldn't be worth it if it really is not as equal to Equioxx as it sounds.
    I'll probably get sizzled for this, but the Rouxster has been on a daily dose (or at least 3X week) of Previcox since August of 2007. We have seen no side effects other than a frisky, comfortable 23 year old, former-Amish, hard-used horse.

(Now I'm completely aware that ulcers or tumors or any sort of disaster may emerge at any time, but Roux's in the category of quality of life for as long as we can provide it and euthanasia as soon as we can't, so I'm willing to run that risk to keep her comfy and working lightly into her dotage.)

So, though she'd be a terrible candidate for actual study since her first 21 years of life are an unsolved mystery to us, the last year and a half have been good, and the Previcox has kept her in work and happy.

The vet and I were thinking out loud, we had not deeply gone through information on either drug. She knew they came in different forms for each, pills for dogs and paste for horses which was what first threw her guard up against switching. I am happy to hear that Bayou Roux’s horse has done well with it. I have a horse that will only be pasture sound for the rest of his life and Equioxx works beautifully for him, is the switch to Previcoxx really that cost effective?

Quote Originally Posted by hosshopper13 View Post
    The vet and I were thinking out loud, we had not deeply gone through information on either drug. She knew they came in different forms for each, pills for dogs and paste for horses which was what first threw her guard up against switching. I am happy to hear that Bayou Roux’s horse has done well with it. I have a horse that will only be pasture sound for the rest of his life and Equioxx works beautifully for him, is the switch to Previcoxx really that cost effective?
    My vet checked it out, and it is exactly the same product with the same carrier. It is definitely more cost effective to use Previcox. I have two of my pasture puffs on it for the long-term, and they both look fantastic.