The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just got one and it was $8 coggins was $15
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

$10 per health certificate ( I think each one does 4 horses) so if more than one is going, it's split.

My vet charges $15 and most places ask for a 10 day certificate and PA doesn't have the agreement that some of our southern neighbors have so we need a new certificate for every venue we travel to out of state. I don't mind it too much as long as I remember to arrange for it ahead of time but what gets me that you go through it all and get one and no one ever asks to see it! Our Regional and National shows ask for it but rarely any others! You can bet the day you don't get one is the day you will be asked!

Question: Do you need a new health certificate each 30/180 days if you are going to cross state lines?

In other words, can you *LEGALLY* cross state lines & go to a show without a health certificate? Someone said on eventing once that you only need a health certificate if you are staying in the other state more than 24 hours. (I pretty much know this does not apply to FL.) This was in reference to travel here in the mid-Atlantic. I had never heard that but I'm wondering if it might be true.

We live only 7 miles from the MD line. We often cross into MD to trail ride at Fair Hill (as an example). Do we need a new health cert. every 30 days? No one is standing at the MD border or at the entrance to the F.H. parking lot asking for one. Do you need a health cert. only if the venue you are visiting says they will require one? Around here show grounds/schooling venues DO look at Coggins and sometimes at certificates proving vaccination against Rhino, but, as someone else pointed out, most venues do not examine health certs. (Although, we have visited multiple venues that DO examine them.)

Evalee, my understanding is that yes, legally, you do. But we're about 1/2 hr. south of Fair Hill, so we haul up to PA pretty regularly, and less frequently to VA/ NJ. We don't generally get one unless the venue requires it, which is fairly rare especially for one day events. The van drivers don't usually seem to worry for short hauls, either--only when we're sending horses to certain tracks, or to Fla or KY.

Thanks everyone! Sounds like is about the same everywhere. I feel much better LOL!

Wow uncalled for! Don't assume I have money! I scrape pennies just to show and train because I am living out a well deserved dream! A $29 health cert every show is a lot when I have to budget my money. You should not be so quick to judge people!

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    So, if you can afford to show 2x a month, haul, take lessons, etc... you can't afford a $30 health certificate once a month?

Just saying, vets have bills to, and their education was not free.

I can easily afford to pay $30 for one every month if I want to but why would I if I can get them for $8? I sure don't owe any vets a living if they can't make it then quit and do something else like any has to do if their job doesn't pay enough.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post
    So, if you can afford to show 2x a month, haul, take lessons, etc... you can't afford a $30 health certificate once a month?

Just saying, vets have bills to, and their education was not free.

Gee, that was kinda....not nice. I don't know about the OP's situation, but for me $30 pays half the fuel or entry fees to a County Fair horse show.

Besides, in most cases (around here anyway) all the vet does is fill out the very simple form. All the vets that I've talked to think the health certificate is a joke. I think my health certificate costs about $5, whether there's one horse listed on it or twenty.

KY health certificates for intrastate travel are good for 6 months, and I haven't seen a venue yet that requires a very recent h.c., at least not for in-state horses. There are stricter regulations for out-of-state horses.