The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Health Certs.....$29.00???

Hey I show Dressage and often travel to different states. We always have current coggins and get health certificates signed by the vet and pick them up. Does any one pay $29.00 for their health certificate, per horse, every show????? If I show twice a month through Spring/summer/fall it adds up! I was shocked to see the price!

Is this the norm? If it is then fine but wow

One health certificate should be good for a month for out of state hauling/shows. I think I pay $35 for one here not counting the farm call. It's a hell of a racket.

We pay $35.00 per horse. In our state you can get a six month health card. That way you are not paying for a new certificate every month. You might want to check in to that if you travel a lot.

We pay $30-$35, and ours are good for 30 days. But yeah, that's how it works. It has to be fairly current or it doesn't really mean anything, and to be valid the vet has to come and lay his eyes on your horse. So it's not super cheap!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Whoa! We pay $5-$10 for a health certificate here, depending on the local vet. I nearly had a cow once when I was charged $17!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default I Luv my vet...

I don't get charged at all for a health check/certificate.

I pull up to the clinic with horse loaded, he peeks inside, determines horse is ok and off we go with signed cert in hand.
    They are good for a month of interstate travel.

note to self: extra goodies for vet next Christmas...
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I paid $50 for the last one, plus $100 call because I needed it on a Saturday.

The State Dept of Ag here in Georgia will issue a 6 month health certificate. Not sure of the costs associated with it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    I don't get charged at all for a health check/certificate.
    My vet would do the same thing. He'd pop over to where my horse was boarded if he was in the area and sign off on a Health Cert. (knowing my horse was healthy as the barn I used to board was a typical boarding barn and he was there almost every week).
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Another idea is that if you are going to show out of state every month, talk to your vet about getting a discount rate for multiple health certificates. There is no harm in asking and given the economy, you might find that your vet is happy to issue a health certificate for less.

2Dogs, wow, a freebie, that's awesome!!

I think I pay $20 here in GA and just paid $25 (??? they haven't sent me the bill yet) up in NY state.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Health certs are a JOKE..most are signed and processed without the vet even looking at the horse. Yet another bureaucratic hoop for horse owners to jump through with no real basis in need. How about that part that "certifies" that the trailer has been disinfected and you haven't stopped to pick up or drop off any other horses?? HA...and the destination is put on each cert...so it theoretically is good for 30 days to run between the two addresses. Good grief. More and bigger government...yeah that's a good idea.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    One health certificate should be good for a month for out of state hauling/shows. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by mab1228 View Post
    . . . . In our state you can get a six month health card. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    . . . . ours are good for 30 days. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh's Mom View Post
    The State Dept of Ag here in Georgia will issue a 6 month health certificate. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    . . . . and the destination is put on each cert...so it theoretically is good for 30 days to run between the two addresses. . . .
    PLEASE NOTE: While the state may say a certificate is good for one month (or six), the venue you show at determines what you must have to enter their grounds. For example, when my daughter took horses to Pony Club National Rally (Festival) at the Kentucky Horse Park in the late 1990s, the specification was that the health certificate had to have been issued no more than TEN days before the horse would LEAVE the Horse Park at the END of their portion of rally. Since the horse was at the horse park for several days, that requirement meant that the health certificate had to be issued no more than a couple of days before the horse left its home barn. It does not matter to the "powers that be" whether the health certificate says 30 days or 180 days, if they will not let the horse on the grounds more than five days after the cerficiate was issued, then that is the rule you must abide by.

As Evalee mentioned, it depends on the venue more than the state.

For regular interstate travel, 30 days is the norm, but some events require some less than 10 days old, 5 days old, etc.

That being said, we pay 35-50 here. The cost of the farm call, and if it's more than a standard cert, it costs a little more.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

The one the vet issues is only good for 30 days, but if you send it, an official copy of your coggins to the GA AG dept, you can get it to last 6 months (if your coggins last that long).

The website for GA is
    http://agr.georgia.gov/vgn/images/po...%201-29-07.pdf
    and it's pretty self-explanatory. No cost

I just get mine twice a year and keep them active. Just makes it easier. Especially if you coordinate it with your Coggins.

I've never had an event even look at them or require the health certificate within a certain amount of time, but... I'm sure it happens!

Quote Originally Posted by FLeckenAwesome View Post
    The one the vet issues is only good for 30 days, but if you send it, an official copy of your coggins to the GA AG dept, you can get it to last 6 months (if your coggins last that long).

The website for GA is
    http://agr.georgia.gov/vgn/images/po...%201-29-07.pdf
    and it's pretty self-explanatory. No cost

I just get mine twice a year and keep them active. Just makes it easier. Especially if you coordinate it with your Coggins.

I've never had an event even look at them or require the health certificate within a certain amount of time, but... I'm sure it happens!
    We have the same thing here in Alabama. It's called an event permit, and it's free to get (after you've paid for the Coggins and healtch cert) and good for 6 months of interstate travel between AL, GA, MS, TN, and a few other states, I believe.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

With every day that passes, college football season gets that much closer!

So, if you can afford to show 2x a month, haul, take lessons, etc... you can't afford a $30 health certificate once a month?

Just saying, vets have bills to, and their education was not free.

Quote Originally Posted by FatPalomino View Post

Just saying, vets have bills to, and their education was not free.

Vets have bills too which is why they charge for the farm call. Does it REALLY cost them $30-$50 to fill out a little pink paper??

My vet charges $30 for the cert and $50 for the farm call. I don't really begrudge them the charge (although do admit to thinking it is a bit excessive. The cert charge, not the farm call.) since I do everything I can for my horses myself via scripts (or simply the internet in the case of non script items) and save tons that way. I don't show much anymore so it doesn't really affect me now but I saved so much $$ throughout the year I figured an extra $30 every few months wouldn't kill me when I was showing. I almost always combine farm calls with someone else or at the very least schedule a procedure I can't do myself to make the farm call worth it, too.

I didnt know that they charge for them, my vet never charges me, and I just had four done. He always comes down my barn to hang out, so he knows my horses pretty well.