The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Kongs are great toys that last forever. The black kongs are more durable than the red ones though. We've always bought the standard model, but my folks just got the Kong Wubba for their dogs and were telling me how much fun the dogs were having with it.

Nylabones are also great for chewing and safety. Puppies seem to "hold" the wishbone versions the easiest.

We also now have a interlocking ring toy, but don't remember the brand. It's three 6" rings in a durable rubber. Yes, a hard chewer can get pieces chewed off, but when supervised with the toy my daughter's dog has more fun running with it in his mouth and playing tug.

I loff golden retrievers! You have to post photos for us!

We too have a Golden Retriever....will be 2 yrs at the end of February. KONG's are his absolute FAVORITE toy, and are indestructable. Any "fuzzy" toy, or rope toy is demolished within a day. Even the horse jolly balls have been ripped into tiny little peices, as were highway cones etc.

We had about 4.5 feet of snow here in December, and our pup lost both of his Kongs in the deep snow. He literally moped around for days until we bought him another. He carries it everywhere. We usually put a string on them so we can throw them farther, and then he and our other dog always retreive them "tandem" style...The retreiver with the Kong in his mouth, and our other dog with the rope.(joined to the Kong).

For teething, we would use frozen weiners, or give them a carrot out of the fridge. My golden still thinks that carrots are the best treat in the world.

I would definately stay away from the sock/fabric toys. A friends dog "tibetan mastiff" just died on the operating table due to a blocked intestine (which contained a sock).....

You will LOVE your Golden. They are such incredibly smart dogs. Ours can distinguish between all his toys. Even if he does have the Kong in his mouth, and you tell him to get one of his other toys, he will drop the Kong, and go on a mad search until he finds the toy that was asked for.

If I tell him the toy is "stolen"....he will drop it, and not play with it again until I tell him "It's PAID For"...hahaha.

Enjoy your pup!
    Breeders of American Saddlebreds and Georgian Grande's
    www.grandeislefarm.com

Default kong

Kongs only my 2 labs will destroy any other toy in hours. I would like to add I just got a chuck-it and an air dog squeeky tennis ball. The chuck it makes it so I can throw the ball a lot further and I can pick up the slobbery ball with it. My dogs love to hear the ball squeek when they catch it. I do not let them have the ball with out me.

Default Finally, pics of the new little charmer!

Finally, pics of the new little charmer...

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...0Ecs27hw3YsXMQ

These pics were the 1st day we brought him home so he was a bit of a "cuddled" puppy (loved to be held!) For some reason, the face picture doesn't look quite like him.

The sock toy and booda tug are only when we are there, right with him and thanks for the words of caution! Appreciate it! It's been many years since I've had a puppy (dog yes, puppy only back in the dinosaur age...)

Are carrots okay for a 9 week old puppy? I've been using bits of his kibble for training treats (come mainly, which he is actually beginning to get a clue about).

AWW. He looks sleepy there.

Are you signed up with a puppy kindergarten class yet?
    They are so much fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWjex3lIOiI

Aw, he's adorable, just love the beady eyes on a pup!
    I forgot to mention....by summertime you can try freezing large size MilkBone type biscuits in the freezer. I'll put a big one in an old plastic container, cover with water and freeze. I find most Goldens love chewing ice and this frozen "pop" keeps their interest a long time.

Realize too, that angels will carry that cute fuzzy puppy away and leave a big hairy smelly dog in it's place in a year or so

IME a retriever will make a toy out of anything and everything.

Favourites though are any soft cuddly toy that they can carry. We buy them bulk from car boot sales and remove any bead eyes.

They also love to play with 2 litre plastic pop bottles. I've a 2 hour video of our pups entertaining themselves with just that.

Then things like a gundog dummy : either a canvass one or one made from rabbit fur or feathers.

Anything rubber with a squeak in.... but be warned... retriever pups are chewers and they don't tend to last long!

And their favourite ever things...... muddy puddles and fox crap!!!

As puppies our dogs loved a frozen Kong stuffed with a bit of peanut butter. Kept them out of trouble for at least a little while.

For those of you with puppies or thinking of getting one, you may be interested in this:

----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:29 AM
    Subject: [T-L] Free Book - Dr. Ian Dunbar's AFTER You Get Your Puppy

Please forward and cross-post to get the word out to anyone who might have a new puppy.

Dr. Ian Dunbar's AFTER You Get Your Puppy is a free download during "Puppy Season" - the month of January.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training...get-your-puppy

Most shelter dogs were once perfectly normal puppies exhibiting typical, though often undesirable, puppy behavior.

House soiling, nipping, growling, resource guarding, destructive chewing, excessive barking, hyperactivity, jumping- up, leash-pulling and general unruliness are reported as primary reasons why people surrender their dogs to shelters or let them stray (to be captured and taken to shelters).
    The presence of these same behaviors is also a major reason why people do not want to adopt shelter dogs. Yet these typical puppy behaviors are so easy to channel or eliminate with the right tools and information.

AFTER You Get Your Puppy covers the last three developmental deadlines that your puppy needs to meet before he is six months old. Skills that will keep dogs out of shelters and in their original homes:

The most urgent priority - Socializing Your Puppy to People
    The most important priority - Teaching Bite Inhibition
    The most enjoyable priority -Continuing Socialization in The World at Large

Sidney
    & Rose, Queen of HardieDale Acres
    Forever in my Heart
    Jack, Riley, Bar, Tycoon, Smoky, Mai Tai, Tyrone

__._,_.___

Bluey, THANKS for posting that article!

Off to read it with my 2nd cup of coffee...

So far, puppy is pretty good. Sleeps reasonably well. Favorite toys, in order of preference:

Winter boots
    Pant legs
    Leash

Y shaped nylabone
    little brown fur bear
    green cuz dinosaur
    pink booda pig
    tennis ball to chase when on farmer's porch

Beginning to learn "come" and "sit" already.

And absolutely the cutest durn puppy around.