The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best puppy (golden retriever) play toys for both inside and outside?

We have a new puppy! Can't wait until he's older.

Seriously, LOVE this pup, and would like to ask what people think are the best play toys for a 9 week old Golden Retriever. We have some toys which he enjoys but I'm always up for new suggestions...

This is for both inside and outside play...

Thanks in advance!

Our Labs have Kongs for inside because they are great for satisfying the need to chew and jolly balls for outside because they are alot more fun than an old tennis ball (and last longer too).

No suggestions, but you can't make a thread about a golden retriever pup with no pictures! What are you crazy?!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Santa brought our lab a cool reindeer toy and she simply loves it. It's long and bone shaped and instantly it was her favorite. Kind of like these.
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3209536
    Third Chair in the Viola Clique
    Founder of the Packrats Anonymous Clique
    Proud Member of the Dirty Grey Horse Clique
    http://community.webshots.com/user/pnekman

Great toys here: http://www.westpawdesign.com/
    Their Zogoflex line is nearly indestructible (per my Lab). They have well-made soft toys as well. Everything is made in the USA and they use a lot of recycled materials. Great company.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

My Aussie/Golden cross puppies loved these:

Kongwubbas
    Rope tugs, both with and without little tennis balls on the end.
    Braided fleece tugs (but they can destroy them)
    Nylabones, the ones for strong chewers
    Sterilized beef bones - no fillings in them (I hate the mess).

Of course, they make their own toys if they can get at them:
    Kitchen oven mitts and dishtowels
    Flip Flops
    Socks
    Slippers
    Sticks
    Pens and pencils
    and my father in law's hearing aid

We do our best to keep them from turning household items into toys, but dogs will be dogs!

Anything made by the people who make CUZ toys are great. Practically indestructible, and funny to look at, too! We call them "Mr. Squeakys" at our house and have a big assortment. The oldest one is at least four years old.

My big dog got a "Mr. Chicken" Cuz for Christmas and he LOVES it.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3207032
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    Anything made by the people who make CUZ toys are great. Practically indestructible, and funny to look at, too! We call them "Mr. Squeakys" at our house and have a big assortment. The oldest one is at least four years old.

My big dog got a "Mr. Chicken" Cuz for Christmas and he LOVES it.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3207032
    I was just coming in here to post about the Cuz toys... my terriers destroy everything and it takes them quite a bit longer to kill the Cuzs. And indoor/outdoor friendly, just wash them in the sink with dish soap.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Oh my goodness, those Booda toys were a riot, as were the CUZ toys!

I guess if I gotta look at them, it'd be nice to have toys that make *me* smile!

I'll get working on posting a couple of pics.... It's just so hard to accurately capture the cuteness factor.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Kongs are great, but when my mother's Humphrey was a puppy he somehow managed to bounce one up and it fell flat on his nose... he never touched one again! Squeak toys never lasted very long for our Goldens (Humphrey made a career of dissecting them and chewing up the squeaker) but maybe you'll have better luck. Tug ropes are great and hard to destroy.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I have some friends that have had goldens for over 40 years now, some in the top obedience and agility in the nation.
    They have raised their dogs on Nylabones for free time chewing and all kinds of other toys to interact and play with them, where they can control that they don't destroy the toys.

One favorite play toy is the AKC duck, that the dogs take turns carrying around and retrieving.
    Pets Mart carries it here.

Golden puppies are some you don't need to socialize to people as much as most other breeds, as they seem to have been born with a "love sponge" gene.

For the teething/I want to destroy everything in sight phase, we use face cloths (from the dollar store) with a knot tied in them... much cheaper than going through a plush toy every few days!

Hi, We should trade notes! I also have a nine week old GR male. He has been to the barn and is seriously afraid of horses locked in their stalls- lol. But he loves to play with the blankets that i bring home to fix...ohh that smell!! so there is hope! I will look for some cuz toys - i had never heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by STNS View Post
    For the teething/I want to destroy everything in sight phase, we use face cloths (from the dollar store) with a knot tied in them... much cheaper than going through a plush toy every few days!
    Oh, yes, good idea I forgot to mention. Thanks!

We use a face towel for small dogs, hand towel for the bigger ones.
    Wet the towel and stick it in a plastic bag and in the freezer.
    We used to keep several in there.
    Those really seem to soothe teething puppies and cost very little to replace, if a puppy chews on them too much.
    You do need to watch they don't chew pieces off they may swallow, but most puppies seem to gum them more than chew hard on them.

They are also good to exchange with a puppy you see has a hold of something you don't want it to have.

Quote Originally Posted by jubilee43 View Post
    Hi, We should trade notes! I also have a nine week old GR male. He has been to the barn and is seriously afraid of horses locked in their stalls- lol. But he loves to play with the blankets that i bring home to fix...ohh that smell!! so there is hope! I will look for some cuz toys - i had never heard of them.
    The old cuz toys used to come packaged with a 1 1/1" little red plastic cuz on a key ring.
    I had that hanging on my pickup, but after the odd looks and needing explanations, because it looked to many like some kind of devil worshipper icon, I decided maybe I better put it up.

My dogs have not like that shape as well as other such hard rubber toys with more ready made handles.

Hi, I'm the OP,

I haven't brought my guy out to the barn yet. It's in my backyard and so far, he's perfectly happy to play in the front. I've shoveled and trampled many little paths for him. When it's outside playtime, he zooms around the paths, full tilt, ears flapping, tongue wagging, bounding along, and of course, being a puppy wiping out. I can't help but laugh which of course, makes him go even more.

For toys so far we have, nylabone, booda tug, many plush toys, old gym socks tied together in a tube sock with a couple of knots... Etc. More toys that my son ever had, that's for sure!

LOVE the idea of old towels. I knew I save scads of them for a reason.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Loves to ride View Post
    ns...

This is for both inside and outside play...

Thanks in advance!
    Decoys or other training devices for retrievers.

You can buy them from gundogsonline.com They're indestructible, safe, and are designed specifically for this type of dog.

I don't use towels or socks as that can encourage chewing/swallowing said items for the lifetime of the dog. If you've ever rushed a dog in for blockage surgery, you'd not use those items! Socks especially are a big blockage item. Cuz balls are great. One of my dog's breeders had a girl pop off and swallow the foot of the Cuz requiring blockage surgery....so I only purchase the devil Cuz now.

I have Dobies....they love the Jolly ball (dog sized one) but your pup may have to be older to appreciate it. They LOVED the Kong Wubba and Snugga Wubba as babies, and still have them as supervised house toys.

I use frozen marrow bones for teething, or a carrot from the fridge. My dogs still get a marrow bone 2x week to gnaw on.

Enjoy your pup! They grow up too fast.

Geez! Don't give your puppy any toys they can swallow, like treats, fabric or rope toys! Dogs shouldn't be given any special type treats (like Snausages or Beggin Strips) until they're a year old, their tummies are still forming and pups vomit a LOT anyway.
    Fabric or rope toys can be chewed and ingested and there's nothing worse than seeing a dog straining to pass strings in their poo.

I second Nylabone and hard rubber Kong toys. You can always put nuggets of their puppy food in them as a "treat". My Golden has a basket full of various shapes she still loves 8 years later.

And for Gods sake DON'T give a dog of any age rawhide chews. The 10 month old puppy next door swallowed a portion of one and killed him by puncturing his lung. Left a very sad 14 y/o girl.

http://home.earthlink.net/~streamliner/boneheadSM.jpg

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Copied and pasted from a post by me on my dog forums.

Declared a favorite from puppies to 12 year olds.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=18869 although the ones Pam bought were smaller than those 24" ones http://havaneseforum.com/images/misc/amazon_icon.gifAmazon.com: Spot Mini Skinneeez Stuffingless Dog... I think they came from JB pet.

In particular the fox. No stuffing is a great idea.