The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bitter Cold Temps

So it is supposed to be 11* and 8* for tonight and tomorrow night here! I have 2 horses out 24/7 and are not blanketed. They both have a decent winter coat but I was wondering if for these two nights I should blanket????? They do have stalls to come in and out of.

I think that as long as the horses are dry and have a spot to get shelter from the cold, they will be fine. I'm of the opinion - "why mess with mother nature?"

They should be fine, just give 'em extra hay if you're worried about them, and make sure they have water (in other words, be prepared to break some ice.) I am in GA, its gonna get cold here too.

I have never owned horse blankets, had horses in OH and when temps went to 20 below zero and LOWER horses were fine, they could go in and out of stalls and were out more than in. As long as they are in good flesh and have hay to put in the furnace they will be toasty. I worry more when its 39 and raining, but mine stay out in the rain anyway, and are warm and for the most part dry under the outer part of their coats.

Nothing aggravates me more than seeing horses sweating in blankets on a sunny, 50 degree GA January day, just because somebody worried that Pookums would freeze the night before but was too clueless to realize the sun would in fact rise the next day.

Agree that they should be fine as long as they're dry and have shelter, water and plenty of hay. However, since your area isn't known for getting that cold I would check on them to make sure they aren't shivering. Mother Nature did make horses for cold weather, but not all horses are used to it. They'll most likely be fine...but I'd still check.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

fffttt that's nothing...they'll be fine...well if they are used to colder temps..it's 8 below here right now 30 below in parts of the state...going to be at least 15-20 below here tonight and these temps are NOT including windchill. All the hay they can eat, good shetler to get into if they want and warm water...good to go. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by C*A*S*I*N*O View Post
    So it is supposed to be 11* and 8* for tonight and tomorrow night here! I have 2 horses out 24/7 and are not blanketed. They both have a decent winter coat but I was wondering if for these two nights I should blanket????? They do have stalls to come in and out of.
    Any man who can render himself unconscious with a pretzel, isn't smart enough to lead the Free World

Unless your horses are wet they are better without blankets. The key for them is feed LOTS of hay and they will be fine. You may want to add an electrolite to keep them drinking in the cold weather. My horses have been bearing horrible temps here in the Canadian prairies all winter. Minus 40 plus wind has made it - 53, and they are still fine out there as long as they can eat. Good luck hope it goes well.

Well, do they *seem* cold? Mine our out 24/7 with access to their stalls and we're also in a very cold snap (will be -10 tonight without windchill). My TB mare has seemed cold - she's grumpy and staying in her stall more than she normally would, even with food outside. So I did put her blanket on her a couple of nights ago. I know people say blankets flatten a winter coat and can make them colder, etc....so I've been watching her carefully and feeling her under the blanket....but she sure seems a lot happier. When the temps get up to about 12-13 I'll take it off her but for now she's pretty toasty and happily out eating her hay. In comparison I have a chunky halflinger x QH gelding as my boarder and I think he would spontaneously combust if I put a blanket on him.

Quote Originally Posted by C*A*S*I*N*O View Post
    It was -15 when I did chores this morning, with a -31 wind chill. Supposed to hit -37 to -40 wind chill as the day progresses.

Mine are wearing fleece sheets with a heavyweight on top of that, and they're outside. They were in for 36 hours straight, so I decided to turn them out today. They'll be in overnight when the chill is supposed to gust to -45 below. And I might keep them in tomorrow again, but after 36 hrs. their legs were stocked up so they needed to get out. They CAN come back in the barn if they want to stand, which they will do.

Horses DO need blankets when wind chills are below zero, I don't care how much fur they have. My two furry yaks will shake and shiver if the wind chills dip below zero. The wind cuts through their loft and lets all their heat out. No wind - no problem.

If your horses are normally naked, they're healthy and fat and have good hair coats, a temp of 8 degrees is nothing. It's the wind with no break from it that is a major concern.

8f at 7:30 here in RI. At least the wind is down , for now. Fresh stall water and lots of extra hay for everyone. I left doors open, but fed hay inside and horse and goats seem happy to watch the world go by from inside. It's snowing lightly now, but shouldn't amount to much( heard THOSE words before!), hopefully. The goats are fat and woolly and so is the horse for that matter, so , as long as they're dry and sheltered, they do fine. Me, on the other hand- I HATE this weather, but then again, the heat makes me crazy, too. Good thing I live in NEW England! Things change by the minute. Stay warm, guys. And renenber, spring is just around thecorner. Right after the January thaw-- which should arrive around May 1!

Uggh. Seriously? It's -25 here this morning and almost all area schools in central MN have been closed for the day. Windchills are in excess of -45 . Lovely. High is a balmy -8 .

Honestly though. Last year Gringo weathered out 24/7. It got this cold, but didn't seem so bitter last year as compared to this year. He didn't wear any blankets either. But he survived. Got tons of hay and had a run-in. Survived just fine.

Both boys this year are well blanketed (especially Gus since he has been body clipped). Gringo's in 350g fill right now, Gus in ~ 530g fill (heavy blanket plus liner) and an attached neck cover. Both are fine. Gus, however, is boarded at a place where there is no turnout if below zero... too hard on the machinery to get stalls cleaned, so they are in. They were out yesterday (though it never got above zero) because today would have been the third straight day inside... Gringo is turned out regardless of the weather. Both horses have access to run-ins.

So, if they have a heavy coat and aren't blanketed, I'd leave them. If its supposed to rain/snow/sleet, then I'd throw either a lightweight or a midweight on them. That kind of weather can really cause them to lose their insulation. Make sure they've got plenty of fresh water and access to lots of hay. They'll be just fine.

ETA: I agree with the above poster about wind though... it does cut right thru them. So, I'd probably throw something on if it's predicted to be below zero windchills.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Those of us where it is -23 with windchills of -40 or so right now need to remember that the OP's horses are in North Carolina ... where 8 and 11 would be VERY cold. Their horses aren't used to it like ours are.

That said, there is no magic temperature for blanketing. You need to check on your horses and if they are cold, blanket them. Check behind the elbow, on the chest, at the stifle. If those areas are cold, the horse is cold. If he's shivering, he's cold. Only you know your horse. My horses are blanketed in this snap because my pinto was cold to touch at our normal points, was shivering, and had come away from the herd to stand at the gate when it started. He was obviously cold. My QH was not cold to touch, but he was grumpy ... which improved with blanketing.

If your horses show signs of being cold, blanket, if they don't, let them be.

I just got this in email - it's a humorous reminder of the relativity of cold. Substitute Minnesota, Canada, South Dakota, etc for North Dakota if you want:

60 degrees above zero
    Floridians turn on the heat
    People in North Dakota plant gardens
    50 degrees above zero
    Texans shiver uncontrollably
    People in Minot sunbathe
    40 degrees above zero
    Italian and English cars won't start
    People in North Dakota drive with the windows down
    32 degrees above zero
    Distilled water freezes
    The water in Grand Forks gets thicker
    20 degrees above zero
    Alabamans don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and wool hats
    People in North Dakota throw on a flannel shirt
    15 degrees above zero
    New York Land Lords finally turn up the heat
    People in North Dakota have the last cook out before it gets cold
    Zero
    People in Miami DIE
    North Dakotans close the windows
    10 below zero
    Californians fly to Mexico
    People in North Dakota get out their winter coats
    25 below zero
    Hollywood disintegrates
    The Girl Scouts in North Dakota are selling cookies door to door
    40 below zero
    Washington, D.C. runs out of hot air
    People in North Dakota let their dogs sleep indoors
    460 below zero
    Atomic motion stops at absolute zero on the Kelvin Scale
    People in North Dakota start saying, "Cold 'nuff, yet?"
    500 below zero
    Hell freezes over
    North Dakota public schools close.

Wind makes a bigger difference than just low temps. If it doesn't get windy, they have shelter, hay and unfrozen water, they should be okay.

That said, I left blankets on mine this morning as it IS supposed to be windy today, and just barely freezing for the high. And this IS unusually cold for here.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tif_Ann View Post
    I just got this in email - it's a humorous reminder of the relativity of cold. Substitute Minnesota, Canada, South Dakota, etc for North Dakota if you want:

60 degrees above zero
    Floridians turn on the heat
    People in North Dakota plant gardens
    50 degrees above zero
    Texans shiver uncontrollably
    People in Minot sunbathe
    40 degrees above zero
    Italian and English cars won't start
    People in North Dakota drive with the windows down
    32 degrees above zero
    Distilled water freezes
    The water in Grand Forks gets thicker
    20 degrees above zero
    Alabamans don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and wool hats
    People in North Dakota throw on a flannel shirt
    15 degrees above zero
    New York Land Lords finally turn up the heat
    People in North Dakota have the last cook out before it gets cold
    Zero
    People in Miami DIE
    North Dakotans close the windows
    10 below zero
    Californians fly to Mexico
    People in North Dakota get out their winter coats
    25 below zero
    Hollywood disintegrates
    The Girl Scouts in North Dakota are selling cookies door to door
    40 below zero
    Washington, D.C. runs out of hot air
    People in North Dakota let their dogs sleep indoors
    460 below zero
    Atomic motion stops at absolute zero on the Kelvin Scale
    People in North Dakota start saying, "Cold 'nuff, yet?"
    500 below zero
    Hell freezes over
    North Dakota public schools close.
    That is hilarious!!!!!! I was cleaning stalls in -15 and had to take my coat and hat off because I was too hot. Can't take gloves off because one accidental grab on a stall door can leave you without a few layers of your skin.

It's like when I went to Florida in October and it was 99 degrees with 95% humidity. I was so miserable I was DYING and the locals didn't even crack a sweat. I was trying to trim horses and was drinking Gatorade by the gallon and sticking my head in the freezer every chance I got. People were looking at us Wisconsinites like we'd grown another arm out of our left nostril or something. I checked the soles of my shoes to see if the asphalt melted them. If there had been an aligator nearby I would have thrown myself at his feet so he could put me out of my misery. Boy did they laugh at us!

I got married in October in Wisconsin, it was 33 degrees and snowing!

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    That is hilarious!!!!!! I was cleaning stalls in -15 and had to take my coat and hat off because I was too hot. Can't take gloves off because one accidental grab on a stall door can leave you without a few layers of your skin.
    So true! It's what you are used to, for sure. I thought it was going to be about -10 this morning and bundled up to feed the horses. Carried an armload of hay out into the pasture and was sweating and had to unzip my coat. It can't be -10, I thought....it's warm out! After feeding went back inside and checked the thermometer to see it was +6....no wonder I was hot! It's tomorrow that will be the cold day (-10).

I would say blanket them. Horses DO get cold..sometimes you can't tell though. Despite what others have told you abot winter coats etc. I would still blanket them. I live in Colorado so we haven't been feeling the frigid temps the east have latley, but we still do get cold and my appendix actually starts shaking when he's cold (he's not clipped). When its 8* I put heavy weights on and put them in the barn. Best of luck