The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting the hairy eyeball from coworkers... and other embarassments

It's not secret in the office that I'm "the horse girl". I have pictures of the "kids" in my cubicle and have had enough horse-related days off of work... but anyway.

As anyone in the north half of the country (and apparently the whole east coast) knows, it's freaking freezing out. It's a balmy 5* here in Pittsburgh, and going down to -20* tonight...

My office is freezing, and I was sitting here shivering, and then I remembered...I have a fresh, clean, straight out of the dryer cooler in my car!! So I now have a wool cooler over my lap and I'm getting the hairy eyeball. There are people here with normal blankets on their laps, and they don't get funny looks... but since mine has some tie straps on it and "Finders Keepers" embroidered on the side...

So what is your recent equine related hairy eyeball story??
    Last edited by FindersKeepers; Jan. 15, 2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: to make it more fun
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Let's just say that I no longer recommend Corona ointment when my friends have a boo boo. Trying to explain how to find it at COOP or TSC and, um, no it's not sold in CVS drugstore....lol.
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

I used to clean stalls at my trainer's barn after work. So I would wear my NEOs into work (who wants to put their feet into cold NEOs, certainly not me) and put them on when I went to leave.

I used to get some way weird looks because they are not the average boot and they sat here in my cubby all day.

I'm a gov't worker luckily not working in Wash. DC...a woman I work with who's located downtown knows I have a mule...we were walking with a bunch of her coworkers and she said, "Did you know he's got a cute ass?". The women gave a big "Did she really say that?" look. I smiled and said, "Yep, I do...wanna' see the photo?" and I showed them the screensaver of my long-ear on my cell phone.

I loved the looks they gave her...and then I corrected my friend, "I'm actually half-assed...his mom was a horse".

Tuesday started off a nice 32 degrees and dropped to near single digits when I was ready to leave work. Silly me, I just wore a normal blouse and some slip on office shoes. I was going to freeze digging the truck out of the accumulated snow. Then my SLT order arrived. With my insulated dublin tall boots. Whoo hoo! I had a meeting at the end of the day and an appt to rush off to, so I was shoving my nylon covered feet into those bad babies as fast as I could at the end of the meeting, explaining all the way for my odd behavior and odd footwear. But my toes were toasty cleaning off the truck!

I did leave blankets on the boys this morning, but now I'm wishing I'd thought to bring one to work for myself!
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

This story is not related to the office, or the current cold...but will make you all laugh. I've shared this before, but...

When I was in college, my sophomore year, I lived in the athletic dorm. Why? I don't know, but I was put there. So there was me and my roomate amongst the Basketball players and football players...

Anyway, I was scrambling into the dorm building on a winter night after lessons, carrying my chaps, helmet, a saddle pad, and a bag from the tack shop. I had bought my mare a wormer, and they had a 2 for 1 special, so I got 2 tubes. Awesome! Well, while I was trying to get to my ID to swipe in, things shifted, but I didn't notice dropping anything. I was trying to move quick as the football team was returning from evening practice, and I didn't really want to be caught in the elevator with them... I am waiting for the elevator and hear someone say:

"um...excuse me..." and I turned around to see a red faced football player holding a tube of wormer...

"you droped your...enema"

I vaguely remember mumbling something about my horse and deciding to take the stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by FindersKeepers View Post
    "um...excuse me..." and I turned around to see a red faced football player holding a tube of wormer...

"you droped your...enema"

I vaguely remember mumbling something about my horse and deciding to take the stairs...
    lmao!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    ...working in Wash. DC...
    That's one of my favorite oxymorons!
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

My office is freezing, and I was sitting here shivering, and then I remembered...I have a fresh, clean, straight out of the dryer cooler in my car!! So I now have a wool cooler over my lap and I'm getting the hairy eyeball. There are people here with normal blankets on their laps, and they don't get funny looks... but since mine has some tie straps on it and "Finders Keepers" embroidered on the side...

So what is your recent equine related hairy eyeball story??
    If your office is that cold, maybe a pair of Carhartt Bibs would be more appropriate?

As anyone in the north half of the country (and apparently the whole east coast) knows, it's freaking freezing out. It's a balmy 5* here in Pittsburgh, and going down to -20* tonight...

Sadly that 5* is the temp, factor in the wind chill and it was below zero when I was waiting to catch a connecting bus in downtown Pittsburgh this morning. When I got to the office I was getting some funny looks about my pants. And I had to explain that I was wearing my fleecy lined breeches under my dress pants. That's why I looked so...lumpy. They were clean, didn't smell too much like horse.

FindersKeepers: side note, where do you go to school? I have lots of stories about the funny looks I got going to the dorms at Pitt with horsey things.

I went to Pitt also, valley. And I work downtown too hahahaha... well I'm down by the west end actually, not in town per se...

smart taking the bus today...the roads were rather dicey.

This fall, I decided to change into my breeches for my lesson at work instead of at the barn as I have a looooong commute (1 hour 45 minutes) on days I go to the barn from work and I was tight on time.

When I came out of the bathroom in my purple TS and pink and purple boot socks, I think half the office wet themselves laughing. I suppose I could have worn more traditional colored breeches, but hey I bought them for at home use only and I wanted to wear them. Plus, my trainers face when I put my gelding in matching polos is really priceless
    Equus Doth Indeed Makeus Brokeus. Or Brokeus Meus -- when you have a baby warmblood, it could be either one!

Years ago I worked at A Gov exchange garden shop on a CG base. There was a saddle club on base, so we boarded there as well as lived on base. Dress code was VERY casual as we were selling bales of peat moss, fertilizer, etc- garden supplies and plants. We'd run to the stable, do chores, turnout , then go to work. My friend, also a horsey person and co worker boarded there , too. We wore duck boots, pretty much all winter and often times forgot to bring a change of shoes for work. Pretty chilly in the shop so we usually had a little heater going behind the counter. As things heated up, the earthy aroma of eau de barn wafted through the room. We 'd tell customers it was all "ambience" to get them in the gardening state of mind. Some of them didn't believe us- go figure>?

i went to a horsey college, but freshman football boys lack a certain maturity when it comes to girls in riding britches.

i was walking back to my dorm after a lesson, britches, tall boots, whip et al., and i hear someone shout from the top window of a residence building:

"you can ride MY pony, baby!"

my mortified freshman self then scurried very, VERY quickly back to the safety of the all-girls dorm.

Since it got really cold and snowy, I have often opted to wear my tall green barn boots with heavy LL Bean socks everywhere I go. They're new and shiney. I even wore them to the grocery store Christmas Eve. My sister was horrified "You DID NOT!" Did too. Am I the only one who has noticed that they still occassionally show up in fashion magazines?

Default i have one

i'm an attorney and on one of the coldest days in december i had a deposition scheduled in brooklyn (i'm in nj). i put on my silk long johns, my slacks, my suit jacket and then couldn't figure out how to keep my feet warm and comfortable on what was going to be a 2 hour commute each way by train and subway. so i decided to put my jodhpur style muck company boots on instead and carried the flats w/ me in a bag with an intention to put them on once i got into the office building. well once i got there, the setting turned out to be less than posh so i opted to leave the boots on. and so i sat around in a room full of attorneys with my muck boots on. i don't think they smelled...
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I've been wearing my OnCourse winter riding boots when I go dig out my car.

When I was in college, a few guy friends came and sat down at a lunch table while one of my friends and I were discussing an assignment for a class on Equine Conformation. The assignment was to take measurement of the foreleg and take weight, and then compare the bone measurement to the weight. Right after the guys sit down I say "I measured and G has 9.5" bone"... then I hear the snickering from the guys. It took me a minute before I figured out what they were laughing about... and then stammered my way through some sort of explanation. My face has never been so red before in my life.

A guy I worked with had hip problems, and a horse liniment was recommended by one of his friends. He asked me if it would stick up his sheets. I told him I didn't go to bed with my horse so I wouldn't know.

Is it sad then that my coworkers don't bat an eye at ANYTHING anymore? Not my coveralls, not my muck boots, breeches, tall boots, halter and lead in my office, dancing around with my new deliveries like the shiny pair of nippers, or that they are now in the habit of checking my hair for hay before a big presentation?

LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...