The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default USDF All Breeds Award for TB

Does anyone know what needs to be sent in to qualify for the USDF All Breeds Award for thoroughbreds? I did not get my horse's Jockey Club papers with him when he came off the track (they did not want him sent back to the track), but I have the Jockey Club Tattoo Research papers and his race records. That is enough to join the North American Thoroughbred Society, but the USDF wants registry papers. Can I send something from the NATS or do I need the JC papers? I don't want to spend the money on all the registrations if he won't be eligible anyways!
    Thanks!!
    Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
    Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
    Stories about our adventures:http://tbatx.wordpress.com

In way of a *bump* because I am now curious too.

I didn't even know they had that...and I'm almost always riding a tb. Shows how much I pay attention.

you can contact the north american tb society at www.hellohorse.com. she does all breeds awards for tbs and ottbs. i am the sponsor for the ottb all breeds award.

You might want to check out this thread in Sport Horse Breeding. http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=185605

or contact sm directly (she runs North American TB Society).
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    or contact sm directly (she runs North American TB Society).
    Wow, how cool is that! Small world as well, a while ago I placed with OTTB in All Breeds with them.

As I remember I needed to renew my membership yearly and enroll in to the program with USDF then show 8 times and score more than 59-60%? Something like that? It was a while ago.

Then I bought my current mare and she is only 1/4 TB (from Stumbling Elk = yeah... great name here ), so I switched to the Swedish Registry. But lately didn't even renew, since I don't show often enough to gain 8 scores that are needed to participate in the All Breed Awards anyway.

Lots of good information, thanks guys! I read the links as well and the one mentioned PHR as an alternative registry to NATS. The PHR website indicates they send me registration papers, so I wouldn't need my horse's jockey club papers. Anyone have experience one vs the other?

Anyone want to be brutally honest and tell me if the whole thing is a joke? A lot of money goes into getting all the required memberships, both for horse and rider, to qualify for these awards. When I looked in the USDF Yearbook from 07, both the NATS and PHR don't have enough horses to fill anything past training level. So if I show first or second, and pay up my $$, I've bought an award? Or is it really that hard to get the number of required scores on an off-breed horse once you get out of training level? Or am I missing something??

Quote Originally Posted by GallantGesture View Post
    So if I show first or second, and pay up my $$, I've bought an award? Or is it really that hard to get the number of required scores on an off-breed horse once you get out of training level? Or am I missing something??
    No, most them are like that. You pay $75 for the membership and get a $20 saddle pad if you get a first place, but it's quite normal = the blue ribbons are the same thing, what are you going to do with them? It's not like we can go and win actual money or good prizes showing dressage So look at it as a "goal" rather than like a "prize"

USDF has the breakdown of the scores/shows you need for All Breeds on their website.

They also list participating breed assoc's, which once you are registered in, you send an all breeds declaration form to USDF.

Maybe I am thinking HOY, but I think it is 8 scores at 4 shows... median score is taken.

...I have the Jockey Club Tattoo Research papers and his race records. That is enough to join the North American Thoroughbred Society, but the USDF wants registry papers. Can I send something from the NATS or do I need the JC papers? I don't want to spend the money on all the registrations if he won't be eligible anyways!
    Thanks!!
    Tattoo Research papers is enough for USDF and North American Thoroughbred Society, it is proof of breed issued from the horse's birth registry. USDF does not require foal registration papers, just proof of breed!

....if I show first or second, and pay up my $$, I've bought an award? Or is it really that hard to get the number of required scores on an off-breed horse once you get out of training level? Or am I missing something??
    You must meet the 60% median score or you will not be eligible for All Breeds awards. More general rules to be eligible http://www.usdf.org/awards/all-breed...all-breeds.asp . Here are the 2008 and 2007 winners at North American Thoroughbred Society, and their scores http://www.hellohorse.com/rankings.htm

The "easier" recognition program North American Thoroughbred Society sponsors is the North American Series, it's based on achieving 20 points http://www.hellohorse.com/prize_list.htm

PM me if you'd like more info.

SM, thanks for clarifying!

I think I worded my last question incorrectly. In the yearbook, some of the breed registries (warmbloods) have first through fifth place for every level, training through grand prix, aa and open and young rider. NATS has a few placings at the lower levels, then skips some completely. Is that because it is really hard to get the required scores and people try and can't do it? Or is that because the membership is much smaller and there is no one competing at those levels?

I guess what I'm trying to decide for myself, I am spending hundreds of $$ on these memberships, if I were to get one of these awards, is it meaningful? Have I actually accomplished something? Or did I get a blue ribbon in a class where no one else competed? Or does the answer depend on the registry (many wb's get the scores but fewer tbs, or you have to do better as a wb because there are more registered, any tb can do it because there are so few)?

8 scores (even assuming I got the scores every single time I showed) at 4 shows is virtually impossible for me due to the fact I have to haul forever to get to a show.

No thanks!

SM, thanks for clarifying!

I think I worded my last question incorrectly. In the yearbook, some of the breed registries (warmbloods) have first through fifth place for every level, training through grand prix, aa and open and young rider. NATS has a few placings at the lower levels, then skips some completely. Is that because it is really hard to get the required scores and people try and can't do it? Or is that because the membership is much smaller and there is no one competing at those levels?
    It is all of the above. Although some people can get 70 year end median at training, many just miss the 60% median and therefore don't show up in the yearbook. NATBS sponsors every category to the full extent allowed by USDF.

I guess what I'm trying to decide for myself, I am spending hundreds of $$ on these memberships, if I were to get one of these awards, is it meaningful? Have I actually accomplished something? Or did I get a blue ribbon in a class where no one else competed? Or does the answer depend on the registry (many wb's get the scores but fewer tbs, or you have to do better as a wb because there are more registered, any tb can do it because there are so few)?
    It's meaningful because it ranks you on a national level with other TBs. That's a real acomplishment you can cherish because it's to USDF standards. It's not a case of "any tb can do it" because you need the 60% median (in training through fourth) to be recognized in this program.

As someone who shows something other than the traditional warmblood - the issue is not that you can't GET the scores, but it is TOUGH to get EIGHT scores from so many different shows and judges! As TrotTrot points out - that can mean a lot of driving around to shows. And if you change levels mid-year (for example, from Training to First level), you need 8 scores from just one of those levels (and remember, some of those scores need to be at the highest test of the level - usually test 3 or test 4).

Last year, my horse had PLENTY of scores at 2nd level, but SIX of those came from a single show. We didn't do the 4 different SHOWS before moving him up to 3rd level, so although he had something like 10 scores, most of them quite good, he didn't show up in All-Breeds at that level.

For most non-Warmblood registries, there just aren't that many participants - so the registry may OFFER awards at all levels, and they may have horses out there showing at each level - but not showing at enough shows to qualify for the All Breeds Awards.

If you are going to show at USDF recongnized shows, take a look at your area show calendar and determine if there are enough shows you can attend, and if so, I do think it is a fun program to participate in.

And there are plenty of Tbreds out there scoring quite well - if your horse has three good gaits and is comfortable in dressage work, it is well worth your while - doesn't cost a whole lot more assuming you are already planning on showing anyway!
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

Ok, thanks a bunch!! I'm off the fill out some more membership applications....

Speaking as someone who has retrained an OTTB (with a little help from a sympathetic trainer), I think it's great that someone has stepped up to create and sponsor an award in dressage for TB's. OTTBs are wonderful horses and deserve a chance at a new career. This sort of opportunity should help encourage more people to consider owning an OTTB.