The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation PSA: Midwesterners, extreme temps are on their way!

Just a little general reminder to all the cold-blooded Midwesterners of COTH; the temps are supposed to get brutal the next few days. Tonight's actual temp here in central IL is -10F, with a windchill of -30F. Tomorrow during the day, the temps are supposed to stay around that -30F windchill.

My boarding barn has actually closed until weather improves, this is the first time they've done this since I moved in 3 years ago. The extreme temps along with the blowing snow on the roads are just too dangerous.

So, COTHers of the midwest, be careful! Frostbite and hypothermia DO happen, it's more common than you think. Keep all that bare skin covered if you HAVE to go out.. but if you don't HAVE to.. don't! My mare is double blanketed and well cared for, so I'm hunkering down!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

I picked a really good week to be in the Bahamas.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Oh you get out of this thread RIGHT NOW missy!!!!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

All my ponies just got a hot bran alfalfa pellet mash and have the barn locked up tight.My boarder who feeds weekday mornings asked me if I wanted to feed tomorrow morning, temp -10.hmmm, nice warm bed, and house versus artic cold barn chores, nope I said,I'm good!

I used the incoming cold temperatures as an excuse to clean my refridgerator. I found a bunch of apples, carrots and banannas. Then I went into all my boarders tack trunks and took out what ever apples and carrots they had. I then took our extra large wheel barrel that we use for dumping water buckets and filled it with bran, flax seed, sweet feed and all the other fruits and veggies. My barn manager and I filled it with hot water and enjoyed the smell. After serving thirty-three horses a warm meal, I felt really good about tonights temperatures coming in!

Default My son's pony is ripping her blanket off!!!

What am I going to have to do- make my 260# husband sit on her all night so she'll keep it on??!! Maybe she's slipping into dementia... It's freakin 3 degress right now! Oy!

I look on temperatures like these as the "Shetland Pony Diet Plan". The pony can FINALLY be allowed to eat all the hay she wants, without getting fat!
    Click here before you buy.

man i just moved from chicago to florida. i think that was a great idea!!!!!!

keep safe everyone!
    be kind to your horses mouth!

Our BO kept everyone in today...even with having blankets, she thought it was just too brutal. Tomorrow she'll rotate them through in pairs using the closest round pen while cleaning stalls. I was out tonight, but only in the indoor!
    Owned by 1 horse, 2 dogs, 1 cat, my 6yo son, a 3yr old cowgirl, and my hubby!
    RIP Traveler & Tesla <3

Oh thanks for the reminder, I still have to call the BO and tell him to put another blanket on my boy and close his run. It has been too cold to ride all week, I am getting very annoyed!

School is canceled tomorrow as we're looking at -25* for a low. Diesel busses don't start in those temps. I'm glad because that lets me put the boys out late and bring in early. They are in liners and midweights with lots of hay. It's -15* with -39* windchill here now.
    Third Chair in the Viola Clique
    Founder of the Packrats Anonymous Clique
    Proud Member of the Dirty Grey Horse Clique
    http://community.webshots.com/user/pnekman

I think we're only supposed to be around -5 tonight here in KS, but the windchill is brutal. Tucked mine all in with more hay than they can possibly eat.

Ok--the crazy one here. I rode tonight while playing "island" music to evoke feelings of the tropics in our nearly zero temps. But, I board at a place with an indoor that is very closed up in the winter. It's probably 15 degrees warmer in there than outside. And I don't have to do barn chores--just waltz out there after work and ride. My horse seems to be glad to move though--I think they just stand around all day in the pasture like yaks in their blankets and don't move much. After our ride--she always takes a long drink, digs into her huge pile of hay and seems very content.

DeltaWave--you are always in warm climates when it's cold! Not fair. I need to start planning my vacations better!

I haven't been out to see my pasture ponies in 2 days! I've been sick. it is getting near -40's tonight for us out in South Dakota. But all mine have their winter blankets on and unlimited roundbales with other horses to cuddle with!

As long as I am feeling ok tomorrow...I will run up and all of them will get a warm bran mash with their sweet feed and possibly throw on a mid weight blanket under their winter blankets! Lots of layers are good for them.

One question.....4 out of 5 of my horses love bran mash....the Arab/Paint cross will not touch anything gooey.....any ideas of how a I can get a warm meal in her or should I just double up the sweet feed?.....oh and anyone have ideas on how to unfreeze sweet feed?

Currently -9 w/ a windchill of -31. School is closed tomorrow. Kid is happy and will be working inside and not outside playing in the snow! BF went out and checked on everyone and they're happily munching round bales side by side and keeping each other warm. They seem so unphased by this.

10 lb puppy lasted a whole 10 minutes outside to go potty and immediately wanted right back in. Can't say that I blamed him.

deltawave, you're so lucky!! No Fair!!
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique

Yeah, it's friggin' cold today!!! I am totally in love with the remote start on my truck. Horses are all snug and warm at the barn. My one pasture horse puts on big weight every winter (which is always fun to work off in the spring), and my TB is snuggly in his blanket with lots of hay and his paddock door has been closed.

BUT, there is supposed to be a warm up this weekend!! 40 on Saturday. Yippee!!
    Member of My Balance is Poo Poo Clique

Actually on a "staycation week". Had great plans to go ride but our high for the week, 27f, was Tuesday morning and it was in the teens by 4pm. I think it did warm for some odd reason yesterday to around 30f, then it snowed. hard.

Barn is closed below outside temp of 15f...it is 8f at the moment, our high. -4 to -6 tonite and a high of 10f tomorrow. We are unheated and BO prefers we stay well ventilated, cold or not.

The biggest problems are the pipes will freeze up, the big sliding doors get wedged in the ice and the diesel tractor gets tempermental.

They will handwalk all, check blankets and reposition or switch and maybe some indoor arena turnout if the dust is not too bad. That's a biggie, it is treated to keep it down but you cannot water a ring and it gets dusty.

Stall cleaning will be interesting, especially if the spreader is MIA. But the pee freezes to the mats and they drop poopsicles. It'll keep.

Looks good to go back to normal Saturday when we get back in the low 20s where things are functional.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    You son of a motherless goat (ode to Three Amigos)! You're in the Bahamas right now?????? What are you doing on the freakin internet?! Get your butt on the beach with some sexy dude in a speedo! Well, I hope you enjoy your vacation

Quote Originally Posted by SmallHerd View Post

BUT, there is supposed to be a warm up this weekend!! 40 on Saturday. Yippee!!
    Yay! We're supposed to *warm up* to 6 by Saturday!

Uggh. I hate MN winters. Woke up to -27 this morning with windchills around -42 or thereabouts. Supposed to warm up to like -10 today. Horses were in on Tuesday (very cold, btw... like highs were still below zero), briefly turned out on Wednesday and are in again today. Lovely. Gus is wearing around 530g fill with a neck cover. Gringo is wearing 350g fill blanket and (as far as I know) is still going out during the day and in at night. Hope they are getting more hay then they normally get, but honestly don't know.

I'm staying hunkered down until tomorrow... then I have horse chorses to do this weekend at Gringo's barn (6 horses AM turnout, clean stalls, PM bring in, feed, etc plus 8 house cats!). I'm planning on dressing very warmly .
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos