The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by rainechyldes View Post
    I don't think so - but I'll definitely use such as an excuse from now on!

And you only get bowed legs from holding your beer between your legs while driving a pickup. (sigh groan.. old joke I know ) I'm a redneck what can I say.
    snork - ahahahahhaha
    back to the topic. No I don't think it is the riding, maybe it is the breeches that cause the look.

I don't think so, I don't have wide hips and I'm 30 with a child and I ride alot!! Mainly dressage and jumping now. I have noticed that my butt is tighter though now, I think thats the dressage
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Your husband is a very brave man. Most men with any sense know better than to say such a thing. I hope he has good life insurance
    Well, thankfully, some men LIKE that.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default Not at my barn

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    We were at a barn Christmas party and my husband laughingly made a comment of.."In the sea of wide hips"....which I said..."what are you talking about"...."Havent' you noticed that all you ladies, who ride, have wide hips...
    Twenty boarders: small and tiny or tall and lanky -- except me. I am the lone wide hipped rider in my barn. And that's due to a combination of DNA and bonbons -- NOT from riding for 30 years.
    Proud Rubenesquestrian

Well...

I am still the same size in jeans that I was 20 years ago, and by all accounts, I have a stellar rear end. I have had children. I still like a narrow twist saddle. My *shoulders* have actually caught up with my hips, from all the trimming I do now. The position you trim in - basically, a squat - certainly cannot be hurting the rear view maybe between dressage, trimming and yoga to stretch it all out, this is the perfect workout!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I've been riding since I was 7, I am now in my.... *ahem*.... early to mid 40's. No kids.

I am thinner and maybe even narrower than when I was a teenager, so in my case the answer is no. Odd, because for most people it is the opposite. Not complaining though

I do know that we do lose height as we age, something about the cartilage in between our spines compressing??? Cannot remember exactly, but something like that.

Danceronice does make a great point, though...you would think there might be some repercussions of riding during our formative years.

I had the test for osteoporosis a few years ago and was diagnosed with mild osteopenia, which means there is some thinnng of the bones. I didn't go on any of the medications, or take more calcium. (I know, bad girl.) BUT I did ride more than I ever have. More days riding, jumping higher, longer lessens, more horses.)

When I did my second test a month ago, my scores had improved! So just by riding I increased my bone density! (I don't go to the gym or any other thing like that.)

I did decide to go on Fosteum, though, as the reality is that I am a prime candidate for osteoporosis later in life, as I am thin and small boned.
    I used to collect lunchboxes...now I collect horses...

"Are you hopping today?" ....fave quote from Mr. lunchbox

Hips are not wider but my hip flexors are shot to hell.....
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/