The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Another NICE Saddlebred falling through the cracks

I know I should not even look at these websites, but sometimes you see such a nice horses and wonder how they get in these awful places.

7 yr old mare, rides and drives....$700.

Broker Owned
    According to the website, she ships to slaughter on Friday if no takers?

http://www.ac4h.com/DSC09999.JPG

http://www.ac4h.com/DSC09995.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqdlAbEXwg8

I should really stick to lurking and learning (i.e., the fun stuff) on the other threads because this stuff just makes me...

Default She is gorgeous...

I really hope she finds a home.... She is gorgeous.

Wow. I'm not even a saddlebred fan, and I like her.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Ohh, I wish I could bring her home with me .

She's lovely...

Can someone tell me why only her head is clipped? Is this a common ASB thing?
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

<sigh> There goes my fantasy. And she's going to die. Breaks my heart. But I can only afford one horse, and that one with difficulty.

When I get to heaven this is the first thing I'm going to ask God about: why?

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

It is common with the Amish, and the show horse people- their heads don't sweat as much (Amish- who clip their mules the same way) and they also look nicer (show horse people).

This is a very, very nice mare. She'll do as many things, and a dressage horse is one of them. If anyone is interested in bailing her out, I'll help to try and find her identity, and I'll even consider donating a season to Borealis. I think she is that nice!
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

She is gorgeous! Make me so sick to think about them going to slaughter and they have some beauties at the broker barn right now. Wish I could take them all. They don't deserve to die.

http://ac4h.com/brokerownedhorses.htm
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

Or you could wait and go to New Holland and buy her from there for $250. She does look like a lovely lady, I hope she finds a new home with one of us.

Healthy fat horses sell for $250 to slaughter here. Last summer it was $400 for a large horse.

...and then she will be thrown onto a truck and shipped huge distance to Canada or Mexico to slaughter....

Yes I get that, the point is that if she is in danger of going to slaughter the dealer will take anything slightly above meat prices to make more of a profit. I can't stand when people want to sell a horse for $700 and then threaten slaughter the next day. $700 is on the high end for a saddlebred (depending on the area) especially in an area where she may have been used hard and ended up at an auction due to lamness. $700 is an excellent price for a broke registered trail horse who goes WTC in a saddle and bit. $700 is more likely if he has a slow lope or is colored or gaited. Since this is a dealer he knows that she will fetch $300 or less if he sells her to a kill buyer. An offer of $300 - $400 on the high end would be plenty to save her if he really plans on shipping her.

I love the look of her - she's gorgeous. But I too am curious as to her price. That seems well above the slaughter rate? No offense to this rescue, but I see visions of CBER dancing in my head when I hear "THE TRUCK IS COMING" and "$700" in the same ad. Perhaps there is a legitimate reason, and if anyone knows, I am open to hearing!

Regardless of the rescue or what ever, she is a lovely mare, and I hope someone takes her home.

If someone wants her I can contribute some bail money... just too sad to see her go to slaughter...

Quote Originally Posted by TB or not TB? View Post
    No offense to this rescue, but I see visions of CBER dancing in my head when I hear "THE TRUCK IS COMING" and "$700" in the same ad.
    Seconded. Mr. Broker needs a wake-up call. He could get these prices 2-3 years ago, but not now.

If somebody feels the call to jump in and grab her, go for it; I'm not saying don't do it. But I am saying that if you're bargain-hunting, this might not be the place.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by TB or not TB? View Post
    I love the look of her - she's gorgeous. But I too am curious as to her price. That seems well above the slaughter rate? No offense to this rescue, but I see visions of CBER dancing in my head when I hear "THE TRUCK IS COMING" and "$700" in the same ad. Perhaps there is a legitimate reason, and if anyone knows, I am open to hearing!

Regardless of the rescue or what ever, she is a lovely mare, and I hope someone takes her home.
    Someone correct me if I am wrong...

The difference between CBER and AC4H (at least as I understand it to be) is that CBER *is* the broker, and they unashamedly send those they deem unworthy (for whatever reason) off on the meat truck, while still claiming the rescue title. AC4H merely takes listings from the brokers in hopes that they can save a few more than they would otherwise be able to support on their own means. Sort of like CANTER trainer listings in a way... the broker names the price, not the rescue, and sometimes prices are negotiable if you show up with a trailer and cash in hand.

She is beautiful! and i've never been a saddlebred fan

Not a Saddlebred fan, but that girl looks like she will make someone a lovely Dressage horse.

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Seconded. Mr. Broker needs a wake-up call. He could get these prices 2-3 years ago, but not now.

Mr. Broker doesn't give a red hot damn. These horses have NO chance at all to be purchased by anyone other than the meat man if he doesn't get his pound of flesh- literally. The mare didn't set the price. She is worth a bit more because she is fat and fancy. The Broker may not get that money from the meat man- but then, it will be too late, won't it? You can stand on your principles-but she doesn't have that luxury.

I do not agree with what these people do, but this is about the horses, not the jerk. If you care about the indvidual animals, you have to look past the creatures who own them.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

She is very lovely. Ouch.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09