The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who the heck designs stalls with a water spigot INSIDE?

Do they not actually have horses?

After 4 complete shaving changes (and changes of horse in the stall to try to find one who WOULDN'T mess with the spigot, we ended up taking a hay rack and modifying it to fit over the spigot. My hand will fit through, but the knob is protected.

But what a design flaw - I'm sure it seemed quite convenient at the time, but we didn't have ONE horse that didn't figure out within a day how to turn on the fun new toy!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Mine would probably alternate between turning it on and slicing his leg on it. Of course, this is the horse who figured out how to turn on the one outside his stall at his first horse show. What a lovely new toy! Especially when he figured out to turn it on as people were walking by.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I think you can get handles for the spigots that are removable, so you put it on only when you need to turn the water on.

Oh, I just did a google search and found they make a water spigot "lock":

http://www.amazon.com/tag/spigot%20lock

maybe that would work for you?

Now that I have never heard! My horses would empty my well if I had that. Would love to know the reasoning for it. Convenience?--but not thinking past that!! Definitely designed by someone who doesn't know horses.

Well, how convenient.
    I would not have thought of that.
    Maybe next time we build a barn, we will do just that.

Seriously, we don't have water in the stalls, because we don't keep horses shut in there.
    They have 6' water tanks on covered floats between two pens.
    If a horse were to need rehab in a stall, we would use water buckets.

I would never again have horses stalled without an outside pen to wander on, although stalls and even standing stalls is where most horses were kept in Europe and they did fine, since we exercised them several times a day in lessons and trail rides.
    Still, if you have the room, don't keep them stalled unless absolutely necessary.
    Better for them and much less labor cleaning after them.

And, oh, I have never seen spigots IN stalls.
    That must be a very unique barn.

I'm sure that someone thought it would be tremendously convenient to not have to drag a hose over there - it's in the far corner of the barn farthest from the hose coupling. But honestly...

The hay rack seems to be working fine - the spigot is about eye level with me (not near the floor) so we just nestled the rack over it and the bottom part, where the bars are close together, covers it completely. I can reach through and down to turn it on, but the horse can't get his nose in there. Problem solved, but geez...

Maybe it was a wash stall that they turned into a regular stall. I've been at barns were they would always find room for one more horse. A wash stall would be easy to convert. Just a thought.

Some things that appear quite reasonable to a non-horsey builder make horse folks go NNOOOOO!!!!!!!

The guy who built my barn is a heck of a good welder and builder and did a great job. Except for the day I walked in to find one stall's exterior door with a brand new latch -- a teeny tiny one, installed on the INSIDE of the stall. Made sense to him - the latch went into the wall stud...you know, for structural soundness. YIKES! I told him that as much as I love my horses, I am neither going inside a barn stall in a fire, nor am I going into a stall should an animal become fractious or dangerous, in hopes of opening the exterior door from the inside. It was fixed forthwith, so no harm no foul.

Imagine what a great barn we could have if your water architect met my inside latch man!
    :-)
    "And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!"

My neighbor thought he was oh so helpful and the day I had my arm operated on came over and set the post for the shed extension into the ground and framed it.
    What a neat surprise, he tought.
    He had my plans and knew we were building a 14' extension, but didn't look at the plans carefully.
    He knew we wanted the existing 14' gates to fit as they had.

Being a builder, but not a user of pens and gates, he thought 14' were OUTSIDE dimensions, so he set the 12" post where the 14' dimensions ended up 13' and didn't notice it.

We are the proud owners of 14' gates hung on the OUTSIDE of the 12' posts, leaving the aisle 13'.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1231946525

He still kicks himself over that and now waits for me before getting into any new project.

I have an elevated/gravity water system made of PVC that runs above my stalls and drops down in the corner of each stall with a spicket at the end. So I can have hot and cold water run to my stalls. Very handy in winter. I absolutely love it. For the guys that have figured out it's a nifty toy, we were able to put a 2/4 to block their access.
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
    <>< I.I.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Then there was the day my friend showed me her newly constructed/fixed up horse facility in her backyard. Houses in this area run down into a canyon so the horse facilities are generally on a slope and anything that needs to be on a flat (or is that level?) surface gets terraced. The new cross ties were her pride and joy, complete with tie posts set on the upright wall side and absolutely nothing to block the backside of the horse as it backed off the cross ties and down the slope of the canyon. They had thought it would be handy to have the wall at the horses' heads so they could put shelves and whatnot there. I did suggest that they put a fence behind where the horses would stand so they wouldn't roll down the hill.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Ya know... I boarded at a place that had them, and I absolutely LOFFED it. But they did have the removable "key" to the spigot.

The advantages:

1 - You know how much water your horse consumes in the stall (which you don't, with auto-waterers) and

2 - You're not hauling heavy buckets.

If I ever built my own barn, I'd put them in, for sure!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

what a silly idea. horses will play with anything. I like the look of the posted spigot lock though. that is pretty neat.

I have never heard of a spigot inside the stall. at the barn I am at now we have to do it the old fashioned way and go around stall by stall with the hose.

at a barn I used to ride at though the stalls all had their own spigots outside or something. I can't remember what it looked like, but somehow they connected to the stall's inside, but the horses couldn't play with them.

There's a very nice boarding barn here that has them, but they're overhead with hoses that extend to the buckets. It's a refurbished dairy barn, so I think the waterlines were already in place.

In the 3 barns I ride/board at they all have spigots in the stalls. It save a huge amount of time becasue we don't have to drag hoses to water, there is not the concern of automatic waterer breaking and we can change/clean buckets for sick horses.

There are plenty of ways to make it so the horses don't mess or break the spigots. Over the last 5 years there has only been one case I can remember where a stall flooded because a horse broke the spigot. The other floods were becasue a person forgot to turn off the spigot after watering their horse.

Reed

It's really not a silly idea AT ALL, so long as the spigots are well-placed and do have either keys or removable handles so that the horses cannot get at them.

The ones at the barn I had were built into concrete walls so horsey could not possibly mess with it, and were positioned in a corner where horsey could not possibly get hurt on it.

I'd have them again in a heartbeat, I really would.

I've also seen individual spigots outside with short pieces of hose attached to them which reach into the bucket. This works too, but I didn't like it as well: you're constantly having to re-make the hose pieces b/c either someone leaves them up and they get chewed, or the hose just plain cracks/breaks w/ age and temperature. I got to be quite the pro at making them after a while...
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Friends of mine had their barn built with a spigot over every stall and a hose piece in each that went down into the bucket. It was constructed so that the horses really couldn't get to it so it was never a problem and it was horribly convenient. The problem came when one of the pipes that ran from stall to stall burst. Whomever had built the barn had put the plumbing under the cement aisle - what a disaster. They had to have the entire barn aisle torn out.

I love the convenience of the spigot at every stall, don't love the auto waterers b/c you don't know h2o consumption. But in the long run, I'm sort of a Luddite to a degree - I'd rather have my industrial strength hose (hosepipe when I lived in SC!!). If it bursts I can just pull one out of the trailer until I can run to the hardware store.

Couldn't the water be turned off somewhere "upstream"? I think it sounds like a wonderful idea! Walk into the barn, flip some lever to turn the water on, and go about your business. Of course there's the night you forget to turn it OFF at the source, I suppose. But still...

Being in the PNW, our barn water system is just a network of hoses from a hydrant outside the barn. I've wanted to rig a hose matrix along the back wall of the stalls -- long horizontal hose with couplings and vertical hoses dropping into each stall/bucket. Of course they couldn't all be turned on at once. And since they'd have to be at the backs of each stall, it would require going INTO each stall. I swear the idea has merit, just needs some tweaking.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Interesting setup, Bluey. I like it.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by hitchinmygetalong View Post
    Interesting setup, Bluey. I like it.
    Thank you, we have now finished the trim on that end, but people many years from now will wonder what idiot set the post inside and hung the gates from the outside of a gate opening.

I remember some stables that had water in each stall, but the faucets were not where horses could get to them to play with them.

Just remember that water pipes and faucets have a way to leak or break.
    In one stable with automatic waterers, each stall had concrete floors and a drain to the ouside, for when they flooded.