The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Isn't the actuality that Black labs are the culprits in more dog bites a year than ANY other breed???
    It depends on what "study" you buy into and in which area of the U.S. you live! I've heard that German Shephards are #1 on a recent poll, followed by the Chow....

The comment about "Cocker Spaniels".... My vet said a few years ago that Cockers were getting put on that list. We have tons of puppy mills around here and he said that his practice was seeing an increase in the amount of mean Cockers he and his associates were seeing.... Not to mention that children love pulling on those long ears! I would never leave a child alone with a Cocker--not because Cockers are inherently mean but that children just don't know when to stop!!!! I had a friend with a child who was persistent and our Cocker would just turn and move away from the kid who kept after him--that's when I stepped in and rescued our dog.... Where was the parent?

The bill is just the sign of a lazy person--nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't this woman watch Animal Planet??? Even the SPCAs won't euthanize every single Pit Bull that comes their way--they test them for socialization before they deem them unsalvageable.... It's much easier to kill them all than to sort them out though!
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~

Two comments and then I'll go away and let everyone get on with the mutual affirmation.

1) There are distinct breeds of dog which have different innate tendencies - sighthounds run, collies herd, poodles do whatever it is poodles do. Any large breed dog which was created to be physically and mentally ready to tackle large prey like another dog it's own size, a bull or a human is inherently more dangerous than a dog developed to trail rabbits or flush waterfowl. Breed-specific legislation is a fair approach to dog attacks; it just isn't convenient to people who own those breeds. The unfair approach is one that lumps all dogs together as potentially deadly. All dogs have teeth and can bite; not all dogs will bite, and of those who will, not all bite the same. Which takes me to...

2) Cockers and Labradors may bite a lot, but they also quit readily when presented with opposition - hit a lab in the head with your fist and he will let go of your arm, your dog's ear, etc. Pit bulls and similar breeds do not quit; they hang on, grind down, and do horrific damage quite rapidly. Comparing a Cocker Spaniel to a pit bull is like comparing a bike to a truck - sure, people have been killed by being hit by a bicycle. But does that mean you should have to get a trucker's license before you ride your Schwinn?

Quote Originally Posted by vacation1 View Post
    Two comments and then I'll go away and let everyone get on with the mutual affirmation.

2) Cockers and Labradors may bite a lot, but they also quit readily when presented with opposition - hit a lab in the head with your fist and he will let go of your arm, your dog's ear, etc. Pit bulls and similar breeds do not quit; they hang on, grind down, and do horrific damage quite rapidly. Comparing a Cocker Spaniel to a pit bull is like comparing a bike to a truck - sure, people have been killed by being hit by a bicycle. But does that mean you should have to get a trucker's license before you ride your Schwinn?

I disagree about labs backing down. I was attacked by a chocolate lab at the barn I board at. I kicked/hit that dog until I knocked out a tooth and he finally went away bleeding. Fortunately for me, I had on a thick coat, sweater, and gloves. All of which are now shredded...only a few scratches on my skin. Had I been wearing just a sweatshirt, it would have been a blood bath.

All the while, my boxer was hiding behind my leg shaking.

Do I think all labs should be banned? Nope, just that one.
    ~Katelyn~

Wasn't it in China or someplace not long ago where the government destroyed families pet dogs? Was it something to do with the Olympics...I just have a vague memory of the story of them grabbing someone's maltese type dog

Is this where we are headed? Hmmmhow long before we can only have one child.

She is really nuts.
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

1) There are distinct breeds of dog which have different innate tendencies - sighthounds run, collies herd, poodles do whatever it is poodles do. Any large breed dog which was created to be physically and mentally ready to tackle large prey like another dog it's own size, a bull or a human is inherently more dangerous than a dog developed to trail rabbits or flush waterfowl. Breed-specific legislation is a fair approach to dog attacks; it just isn't convenient to people who own those breeds. The unfair approach is one that lumps all dogs together as potentially deadly. All dogs have teeth and can bite; not all dogs will bite, and of those who will, not all bite the same. Which takes me to...

Except that's not how the stats break down and most people have no idea what dogs were bred for. Then they breed them for some other trait like a big head or a pretty color.

Sight hounds were bred to chase game AND pull it down. Bear baiting too. How is that different from a Pit? Look at old sporting art. Those dogs are not racing.

Huskeys were bred to pull sleds, but they bite pretty often.

Chows, Lasas, Mastiffs were all bred to be guard dogs. Have you ever tried to pull a Chow or Lasa off your arm? I have seen Lasas responsible for 60 stitches. I had a drugged, muzzled Chow hang onto my right hand until 3 Vet techs got it off me.

All terriers were bred to kill. Therefore, the most terrifying dog on Earth should be the Airedale. The are HUGE compared to a Pit Bull. They were bred to kill bears.

Both Cockers and Springers have a mutation that causes "rage syndrome". Try stopping one of those crazy dogs when they flip on you. They may not rip out your throat, but they will rip off you face.

I personally can not attest to the power and horror of a Pit Bull bite. Although I have handled thousands of dogs and been bitten by dozens of them, I have never seen a Pit bite or try and bite a human. I imagine it would feel pretty much like any other set of teeth buried in your flesh and jaws crunching your bones. I have seem them bite each other and other dogs. I did not see any difference in ending the attacks.

The only dog I have seen who could not be stopped and was not psycho was a Blue Heeler. Also a type of bull dog. Bullets didn't stop that dog.

Comparing a dog that bites me to a dog that doesn't even want to is all I can do. Even a miniature poodle hurts like hell when it really bites.

Large dogs in packs will kill. They should not be roaming free. That is the problem, not the breed.

These bans are happening every place.
    Our dog club gets these notices all the time.
    Here is what is going on right now in TX:

----- Original Message -----
    To: TX-RPOA@LISTSERV.TAMU.EDU
    Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:51 PM
    Subject: Texas cities want BSL

TX-RPOA E-News
    From RPOA Texas Outreach and
    Responsible Pet Owners Alliance
    "Animal welfare, not animal 'rights'
    and, yes, there is a difference."
    Permission granted to crosspost.

January 11, 2009
    Please contact your state legislators and tell them you OPPOSE breed
    specific legislation in Texas. Texas passed one of the strictest dangerous
    dog laws in the country last legislative session which covers all dog
    breeds. No breed is inherently vicious.
    Go to the url below and politely comment on this article in the Dallas
    Morning News.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.318f76c.html
    OR
    http://tinyurl.com/94zr59

Cities want ability to regulate dog breeds, but need state support
    Saturday, January 10, 2009

By ELIZABETH LANGTON / The Dallas Morning News
    elangton@dallasnews.com

Laura Dapkus worries that someday soon authorities could come to her Grayson
    County home and confiscate her four dogs simply because of their DNA.

Dapkus rescued the animals, three of them likely purebred pit bulls and the
    fourth a pit bull mix, from a shelter. She calls them playful, loveable,
    family dogs.

"Thousands and thousands of them are out there not causing any problems,"
    she said.

But pit bulls have gained a reputation for violence, and several North Texas
    cities want the power to regulate and possibly ban them and other reputably
    violent breeds.

Mary Maza of Duncanville supports such legislation. Last summer, two pit
    bulls escaped their yard, broke through her son's fence and critically
    injured his dog.

"What if that was a little kid?" she asked Duncanville City Council members,
    who minutes later voted to support breed-specific legislation.

Cedar Hill, Frisco, Mesquite and others have also expressed interest, but so
    far no legislator has stepped forward to champion a change during the
    Legislature's 2009 session, which begins Tuesday.

Just before leaving office, former Rep. Tony Goolsby, R-Dallas, asked
    Attorney General Greg Abbott in November to consider whether cities already
    have the authority to enact such bans.

Goolsby's letter says that state law as written may allow cities to adopt
    breed-specific regulations for dogs that have not already been designated as
    dangerous. Abbott's ruling should come within the next few months.

Already, Texas law on dangerous dogs, adopted in 2007, is considered one of
    the toughest in the country. Dog owners can be held criminally liable if
    their pets leave their property and attack a person.

Madisonville, near Huntsville, last year passed the first known dog ban in
    Texas. But the city later repealed the law.

Houston and Harris County have pursued such laws in prior legislative
    sessions, but those efforts failed. Some cities nationally have passed
    ordinances banning specific dog breeds, most notably Denver, which outlaws
    pit bulls.

No North Texas city has publicly advocated for outright bans of pit bulls or
    other breeds such as Rottweilers, chow chows and German shepherds. But
    leaders have pondered stricter regulations for those animals, such as
    mandatory microchipping, liability insurance requirements and taller fence
    standards.

Frisco Mayor Maher Maso said cities should be left to make those choices.

"We do feel strongly about local control and leaving it up to communities to
    make that decision," he said.

In McKinney, officials have not expressed an opinion on whether they would
    support the right to ban certain breeds. Last week, an off-duty police
    officer shot and killed a pit bull in a McKinney neighborhood after it
    approached his wife on a street. Police are investigating the incident.

Duncanville Mayor David Green said his city would hold community meetings
    before adopting any changes.

Dapkus, a member of the Lone Star State Pit Bull Club, said cities should
    rely on existing laws to combat problems with dangerous dogs. She said
    breed-specific laws fail to address the true cause - irresponsible owners.

"We have a very strong dangerous dog law in this state," she said. "Passing
    a ban on pit bulls or on German shepherds is not going to stop that
    dangerous mixed breed dog from biting."

RPOA Texas Outreach (501 C4)
    Responsible Pet Owners Alliance (501 C3)
    900 NE Loop 410 #311-D
    San Antonio, TX 78209

After the kennel closed to visitors that afternoon, one last dog was led in and put in the empty kennel directly across from us. He was a medium sized muscular dog with a short shiny coat and the biggest grin I’d ever seen on his huge round head. He was wagging his tail at everyone and constantly trying to kiss the woman as she led him to his new home.
    “Hi!” He yapped at everyone. “Hi there! Oh hi hi! I sure am happy to be here and meet you all! Is this the boarding kennel? How long are you staying? And you? I’m not sure about me but my owners usually leave me for a week or two when they go away. I LOVE the kennel and meeting so many new friends!”
    Learned and I just stared at him. The other dogs stopped their conversations and just stood dumbfounded at how damn happy and friendly this new dog was. Boarding kennel? Didn’t he know where he was?
    “When’s dinner?” He asked in our general direction. “Did I miss dinner? I just LOVE dinner! Did I miss play time? I LOVE playtime too! Play play play, Oh my I could just play all day!”

“Dinner hasn’t started yet so you didn’t miss anything. We don’t get play time here, just a few minutes in the yard in the morning.” I informed him.
    Boomer just wagged his tail and said he’d be just as happy to hang out with his new friends and chat as play anyway. “I just LOVE chatting! My oh my how I LOVE to chat and make new friends!”

After dinner Boomer spent an hour talking to the Boarder Collie in the next run and I turned to Learned for more education.
    “Well, “ I said “Boomer will certainly find a new home! That’s the happiest, cutest dog I’ve ever seen. I’m worried someone will take him instead of me, but I need to wait for Joey anyway.”
    “Boomer’s never leaving here. He’ll be gone to a better place by sunset tomorrow.” Learned said sadly.
    “But why?!” I asked with shock.
    “Boomers a Pit bull and they’re illegal in Bathbridge County.” He told me without emotion.
    “What? Boomer’s wrong? How could anyone want to hurt Boomer? He’s the friendliest dog in the world!” Boomer was illegal but killing all those other dogs wasn’t. Nothing made any sense anymore.
    “It’s a breed specific ban. If some dogs belong to bad people somewhere and those dogs hurt a human then other counties sometimes decide to ban the whole breed, regardless of how sweet any individual is. When that happens the dog’s owners must either move, or give up the dog. The ban in Bathbridge has been around for awhile, so I guess Boomer’s owners moved here and just didn’t know. Its sad, but what can they do? Move back where they came from? Even the companies that insure humans' houses won’t insure a house with a Pit Bull in it. So no, Boomer won’t be leaving here with a new family. Even the woman is scared of Pit Bulls, so this is an emergency and the man will come soon to put Boomer down.” Learned was so jaded he just recited the facts without anger. He’d been here a long time.
    I looked at Boomer’s loving face and generous smile and almost cried. He was wrong and would have to die. His poor family must have been crushed to move to a new town and be welcomed by the dog warden to take their dog away.

A few minutes later the woman came into the kennel with a leash and some dog treats. She went straight to Boomer’s run acting like he was a vicious dog that needed to be coaxed into cooperation and lured him out with the kibbles, down the wretched isle, and through the double doors. Boomer went willingly, wagging his tail the whole time and saying “Treats! Oh my yes I LOVE treats! Where we going? We gonna play? Oh my oh my I LOVE to play!” The last we saw of him was his wagging tail as the doors swung shut.
    Less than 10 minutes went by before the lights went out for the night and we heard the woman leave. Boomer was gone. Such a wrong and illegal dog didn’t even deserve one night once he entered our world. Even though I was a well bred, well raised young bitch, for just a moment I wished Boomer had been dangerous and fought back before they killed him. At least he might have had a chance that way. But no, he trustingly and lovingly followed the woman to his doom wagging his tail the whole time and thinking it was all one big game.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMeadowMorgans View Post
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=21686257

Your girl looks like my new boy! Not the best pic, but all I can get right now. He belonged to a " friend" and has been passed around for a couple of months (through no fault of his own) He is so unbelievably skinny, looks nothing like the dog I knew several months ago. Long story short we took him home last night. He is already settling in and snoozing on the couch when I let this morning. Somehow I think my Keisha-dog had a little to do with this...
    OMG!!! Brindle is something I am so in love with!!! I hope he brings you as much joy as my little girl does!

Oh equinelaw, What a sad and all too true story. It made me cry. It's the saddest part of all of this. It's so wrong. So defeating.

It makes me cry too which is stupid because I made it up and know Boomer is fiction, but I still feel so sorry for him

I posted the whole story on my blog. Its like Black Beauty but a dog. And with real citations.

It might be fictitious, but it's so real for so many pits. And that's the sad part.
    I'd read a blog like that with Kleenex in hand! I love/hate real.

Default I wrote to her!

Rep. Driscoll,

I am writing to express my discontent in bill H.B. 191. As the owner of a pit-bull mix I believe strongly that the breed is being grossly misrepresented and more research should be conducted before such extreme legislation is passed. As a college student who lives alone my pit-bull mix provides me with companionship and comfort. She is not trained or encouraged to be any type of guard dog, and has never acted aggressively toward any person, or animal. She lives in harmony with my cat, guinea pig, and also enjoys the company of horses. I am completely in favor of individual persons taking responsibility for their pets but I believe that this bill is a step in the wrong direction.

Thank you for your time,
    Meredith Clark

----------------------

I think I would honestly move out of the state I live in if they passed a bill like that.

that's so sad. what a jerk.

I don't own a pitbull and never have, and since I don't see them as my type of dog I probably never will, but I have see people with them and played with the dogs and I like them. only bad owners make bad dogs.

It's a good read, e-law. The animals need so many more of you!

Yes, not all pit bulls are from 'fighting' kennels or would make 'good' so-called 'fighting' dogs. My collie mix doesn't come from trial lines, and she wouldn't really know what to do with sheep. But she has the instinct; it's still there, strong enough to make her 'herd' people, 'eye' things, sweep around in big gathering circles, etc. All totally different from the terrier she lives with, who loves to 'go to ground' under couches and 'kill' plastic objects with snarling shakes of his head. It's not as if you nullify the drives in a few generations - you blunt them, sure, you remove the 'edge.' But they still exist, and they still differentiate one sort of dog from another.

Quote Originally Posted by equinelaw View Post
    Sight hounds were bred to chase game AND pull it down. Bear baiting too. How is that different from a Pit? Look at old sporting art. Those dogs are not racing. Huskeys were bred to pull sleds, but they bite pretty often. Chows, Lasas, Mastiffs were all bred to be guard dogs.
    Of course other breeds were used to kill. But there is a difference, and it's a big one, between the way the predatory drive was enhanced in most breeds, and the way it was enhanced in the so-called 'fighting' breeds. The basic chase-slash-pile-on method of the greyhound and the snap/shake of the terriers is deadly to small animals, but much more survivable for large animals like humans and other dogs. Pit bulls and their assorted kin grab and hold on, grinding down in a way that can cause mutilation and death even to larger animals.

All terriers were bred to kill. Therefore, the most terrifying dog on Earth should be the Airedale. The are HUGE compared to a Pit Bull. They were bred to kill bears.
    Yes, and if they become popular enough that when I go to my local shelter 95% of the dogs there are Airedales, and if they ever start attracting legions of idiot, irresponsible owners, they would be terrifying. At the moment, though, their popularity is reflected by the fact I've only seen a couple, ever, outside a dog show. And those were both wearing plaid jackets and were on leashes.

Both Cockers and Springers have a mutation that causes "rage syndrome". Try stopping one of those crazy dogs when they flip on you. They may not rip out your throat, but they will rip off you face.
    The problem with this argument is that it's atypical for a Cocker or Springer to reach a state of aggressive arousal in which they attack something in a sustained way. It's not atypical for the pit bull - it's part of their standard, it's what they were created to do.

I have seem them bite each other and other dogs. I did not see any difference in ending the attacks.
    I find that impossible to believe unless the bites were not part of serious attacks, or the attacks were broken up by people accustomed to handling pit bulls.

Hmmm. Is yelling STOP IT YOU STUPID DOGS! part of a special training skill? Of course that would confuse them since one was named Stupid and the other named Dammit. They were already adults when I got them. I did not make them "better then most". Maybe the man who gave them away did.

I assume you mean atypical as being rare? 95% of the hundreds of Cockers I have groomed over the years will try and bite me if not specially handled. 0% of the Pits I have bathed or boarded have tried to bite me. So which is typical? They are all random dogs. I don't breed them or train them or sort them out in any way. They come in that way.

In fact, I have only seen one Pit that was even aggressive to other dogs. He was still a puppy and it was something innate in hm, but he still stopped when asked.

My neighbors Pit who is now an adult and is not fixed will turn around and run if I just point at him to "go home". I have never touched this dog and don't know his name. He will do as I ask from as far away as I can see him. He has never attacked my dog, any visiting dogs or any other neighbors loose dogs.

There is, however, a HUGE GPD or Anatolian Shepard standing in my driveway barking for absolutely no reason. There are not even any animals out there. My driveway is 1/8 mile long. Why isn't he protecting a goat somewhere??? Why is he barking at my quiet house? I think he is either nuts or just a jerk. Those traits can cross all breed barriers.

My Pits wore plaid jackets and were kept on leashes. Sometimes they wore green sweaters. Do you suppose that's why they were special and acted like every other dog I have known?

I did have other people's dogs jump my 2 more then once and it was always my dogs who were called back--not the aggressors.

More then half of all dog attacks are from mixed breed unknown dogs. CDC numbers. That means a mixed breed is statistically much more dangerous then a Pit Bull? Do people run screaming from mutts?

Absolutely positively all dogs should be kept under control. That's the owners job. There are no "safe" breeds which are free from having to be trained and controlled.

I do think people who have Pits that are not trained and are not up to the job of controlling them often are stupid enough to have more then 1. 2-3 or more out of control dogs are always trouble if not supervised and under control.

Dammit's head was cut off and sent for a research study that showed there is no difference between a Pits jaw and other dogs. She was just like a Boxer--America's new favorite dog.

Now Boxer's are nuts. I predict they will be the next popular to be scared of breed. GSD> Dobes>Pits>Boxers. . . . .

I just bet that this animal hating winch is friends with the other animal hating winch Sarah Palin.

That type of ignorance is terrible, pit bulls are not a problem it is the owners and the same goes with any breed. If you train any animal to be a fighter or aggressive they will be including a tiny little chihuahua. For this fool to want to round them up to kill them is going to cause a major out roar in that state. People will not give up their family members because some idiot thinks they should.
    Get that crazy nut out of office before the guys in the white coats come pick her up.

UGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IDIOTS
    Ms Robin
    Farm Websites & SEO, Low Prices, Barter available!
    ~No Horses to Slaughter clique~

It's not as if you nullify the drives in a few generations - you blunt them, sure, you remove the 'edge.' But they still exist, and they still differentiate one sort of dog from another.
    You're right - you don't wipe away a hundred years of breeding in a few generations. Which is why despite the recent trend of idiot thugs breeding dogs that are human aggressive, most pits are not - they reflect their history - bred to be dog aggressive but never human aggressive. Human-aggressive dogs were culled. Sometimes on the spot. They were too dangerous, considering that the handlers were frequently in the pit with the fighting dogs.

Pits are one of the breeds I never worry about coming into the salon. I have never had one display any aggression towards me, even when highly stressed out.

My worst bites have been labs and St. Bernards. Worst attacks on my horses have been heelers, border collies and labs. Which shows that any breed can go awry in the hands of BYBs and millers.

"My kids are around pit bulls every day. In the '70s they blamed Dobermans, in the '80s they blamed German shepherds, in the '90s they blamed the Rottweiler. Now they blame the pit bull."

- Cesar Millan
    Maybe in another 20 years they'll be blaming the airdales.

I don't see packs of basset hounds taking down little old ladies in the street. We had a horrible mauling death here a few years ago.

While it is the owner that is responsible, this is not relevant to the person who is attacked by pit bulls.

Maybe one of these days this breed will have its aggressive tendencies bred out of them. I've seen plenty of nice pit bulls that seemed to be good pets, but their owners were also nice and responsible people.

I oppose BSL, but please don't try and sell me on the "poor misunderstood pit bull" crap. I understand what this breed is capable of and it's disingenuous to assert that they are no different than an Airedale or Cocker Spaniel.

If they have teeth, they'll bite. That's the rule. Depending on the breed and circumstances, that bite will require a band-aid, a stern NO, a trip to the ER, or a one way trip to the morgue. That applies to all dogs.

The legislator that patroned this Bill is merely responding to her constituent who was attacked by a pit bull - THAT DUG OUT OF ITS YARD to attack him and his dog.

It's not a good Bill and it will be withdrawn or fail. But the legislator isn't an idiot or stupid. She's doing her job. If you're a resident of that state and you oppose the Bill, just oppose it and come up with articulate arguments against BSL. There are plenty of good arguments against BSL.

Don't try and paint the breed as angelic and misunderstood because no one is going to believe you.

---"Don't try and paint the breed as angelic and misunderstood because no one is going to believe you."---

People that don't want to believe that dogs can do harm, some very serious harm, because the one at their feet is sweet and nice and is not put in a situation to do harm, need to realize that dogs CAN and DO harm and some more apt to than others.

To ban dogs or any one breed because of that is like banning driving because some drive drunk.

We need to keep car keys out of the drunk's hands.
    We need to make people be responsible for their dogs, whatever kind they are.
    Then we need to keep dogs out of the hands of those that have shown to cause harm thru their ownership of dogs, not ban dogs or any one breed of dog.