The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

The RCA dog Nipper - he was most likely what breed?
    As much as I love dogs - there are some breeds that I will never feel comfortable around - living close by me - and/or having to run into when out walking my dogs.
    perhaps it is size - or knowing what a dog is capable of doing. Regardless, there is a most definite increase in the number of pit bulls seen here past years. A subdivision went up between my humble townhouse community and a well known country club. The new houses would not sell - investors bought them - most all rented out. We have learned that most of the renters have criminal records - which is scary in itself. Never fails - after a few weeks of having moved in - a pit bull appears in their backyards. (flimsy wooden fences, and/but dogs cannot see out). Always left outside - sometimes chained - rarely seen out being walked. If they are seen out of the backyard - they are loose. Ultimately they are asked to remove the dogs - and they are not replaced. I think so many of the thug-types would not have a dog - they only want a pit bull as some kind of a symbol. There are two PB's in my townhouse community - they are rarely seen outside. One owner walks his dog on what looks to be a very long telephone cord. We all know where those dogs live - and avoid walking past the houses - with the dogs on back patio - fearing the gait is not secure - or whatever.
    These two dogs are owned by men who should not even have a dog.
    You see enough of this and cannot help but be concerned - wrong owners/situation for the breed. One of the rental houses near me - we all saw the new puppy. Absolutely adorable. Mostly white - with black button nose - a large black "spot" covering/surrounding one black eye - the other eye surrounded by white - but black eye. This dog is cute, cute, cute.
    As a puppy - in a fenced backyard - chained to a tree. Never a peep out of the little dog.
    Until cold weather when it started whimpering. Dog not allowed in house - no shelter.
    We all called SPCA - they came out - counseled - now the dog off the chain and has a house. SPCA says the dog is a pit bull. Those of us that see the dog don't think he is full pit - he looks like a JRT mix with pit. None of us are pit bull fans - but we are concerned about this dog - and I daily make a point to peek through the fence to see how he is doing. We hate it that he has no social life - no doggie coats for the cold weather - we see him shivering - his life is in the backyard with solid fencing and cannot see anything else. I will say again - I do not like pit bulls - but this one has gotten to me.
    I know he has not received vaccinations - so worry about distemper and parvo - and am sure he will not be neutered. All this to say - in regards to pits - well sometimes I just hate people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Blinkers,
    unfortunately, no, I'm not blinded by the media. I get blinded by the swat reports and how many pit bulls the crack house has and they have to be destroyed. Hubby is in law enforcement. So, Blinkers OFF
    It's not the folks who want to promote the breed, it the crack houses and young turds who keep breeding badly and training badly that make these laws go into affect.
    The local yo yo who wants to prove he actually has a set of balls will get the first pit bull puppy at the cheapest price (so, you know he can have enough money to get his tricked out muffler for his hyundai) is one problem. Another HUGE problem that the pro-Pit Bulls folks are TOTALLY glossing over is the fact that DRUG DEALERS are using them as KILLERS.
    So, when you say your dog is great and totally dismiss this fact, the general public is going to completely ignore you because they think you are either stupid or blind.
    I would try to work with law enforcement and stop the drug dealers from using your dogs or any dogs for that matter.
    Thank you - well said. As an example, here's what a nearby shelter is advertising this week:

"Labrador Retriever / Pit Bull X, Neutered Male, 11 months old, not recommend with children under the age of 6, has been good with cats, but is not good with other dogs. Rocky is here because his owner was incarcerated. He is housetrained and would need to be the only pup in his new home."

Let your imagination run wild.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB View Post
    Blinkers,
    unfortunately, no, I'm not blinded by the media. I get blinded by the reports and how many pit bulls the crack house has and they have to be destroyed. Hubby is in law enforcement. So, Blinkers OFF
    It's not the folks who want to promote the breed, it the crack houses and young turds who keep breeding badly and training badly that make these laws go into affect.
    The local yo yo who wants to prove he actually has a set of balls will get the first pit bull puppy at the cheapest price (so, you know he can have enough money to get his tricked out muffler for his hyundai) is one problem. Another HUGE problem that the pro-Pit Bulls folks are TOTALLY glossing over is the fact that DRUG DEALERS are using them as KILLERS.
    So, when you say your dog is great and totally dismiss this fact, the general public is going to completely ignore you because they think you are either stupid or blind.
    I would try to work with law enforcement and stop the drug dealers from using your dogs or any dogs for that matter.
    Lisa I understand where you are coming from as you see one side of the equation. The side of criminals and thugs abusing these dogs for their purpose, whatever that may be.
    I fortunately see both sides of the equation. My Blinkers are OFF on this. As previously mentioned my friend has a mix breed (non pit) that was a drug "guarding dog" for the first 5 years of her life. She either protected it or was beaten. That was 10 years ago. She's a great dog now. Plays with my dogs, accepting of people unless her owner is uneasy. Fair enough. I expect the same of my dogs.
    It's easy for law enforcement to be exposed to the "dark-side" of the pit. But the reality is they are a really good dog! Their loyalty is what makes them fighters or protectors. BUT they are also useful in law enforcement. K-9 units, border patrol, drug sniffing, cadaver, search and rescue, the list is endless as to their usefulness. There are always 2 sides to every coin. Then there was Sargent Stubby, Helen Keller's dog, Popsicle.. a drug guarding dog turned good. The dog from the Little Rascals.. the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabs View Post
    The RCA dog Nipper - he was most likely what breed?
    As much as I love dogs - there are some breeds that I will never feel comfortable around - living close by me - and/or having to run into when out walking my dogs.
    perhaps it is size - or knowing what a dog is capable of doing. Regardless, there is a most definite increase in the number of pit bulls seen here past years. A subdivision went up between my humble townhouse community and a well known country club. The new houses would not sell - investors bought them - most all rented out. We have learned that most of the renters have criminal records - which is scary in itself. Never fails - after a few weeks of having moved in - a pit bull appears in their backyards. (flimsy wooden fences, and/but dogs cannot see out). Always left outside - sometimes chained - rarely seen out being walked. If they are seen out of the backyard - they are loose. Ultimately they are asked to remove the dogs - and they are not replaced. I think so many of the thug-types would not have a dog - they only want a pit bull as some kind of a symbol. There are two PB's in my townhouse community - they are rarely seen outside. One owner walks his dog on what looks to be a very long telephone cord. We all know where those dogs live - and avoid walking past the houses - with the dogs on back patio - fearing the gait is not secure - or whatever.
    These two dogs are owned by men who should not even have a dog.
    You see enough of this and cannot help but be concerned - wrong owners/situation for the breed. One of the rental houses near me - we all saw the new puppy. Absolutely adorable. Mostly white - with black button nose - a large black "spot" covering/surrounding one black eye - the other eye surrounded by white - but black eye. This dog is cute, cute, cute.
    As a puppy - in a fenced backyard - chained to a tree. Never a peep out of the little dog.
    Until cold weather when it started whimpering. Dog not allowed in house - no shelter.
    We all called SPCA - they came out - counseled - now the dog off the chain and has a house. SPCA says the dog is a pit bull. Those of us that see the dog don't think he is full pit - he looks like a JRT mix with pit. None of us are pit bull fans - but we are concerned about this dog - and I daily make a point to peek through the fence to see how he is doing. We hate it that he has no social life - no doggie coats for the cold weather - we see him shivering - his life is in the backyard with solid fencing and cannot see anything else. I will say again - I do not like pit bulls - but this one has gotten to me.
    I know he has not received vaccinations - so worry about distemper and parvo - and am sure he will not be neutered. All this to say - in regards to pits - well sometimes I just hate people!!!
    That's why I posted the link - identify the pit bull. Most purebred American Pit Bull Terriers do NOT look like the horrifying monster in a spike collar ready to take you down if you turn your back. Good grief. Most pits look like super cute, goofy little terriers with floppy ears and a boxy head. They weigh between 30 and 50 pounds, and you'd be hard pressed to identify them as Pit Bulls unless you know the breed well.

People don't realize that many of the show dogs that are stood at stud, or advertised on websites are worked on a doggie treadmill wearing a backpack with weights every day and fed VERY high protein feed. It's like the halter AQHA people. Big poppy muscles, bulldog chest with turned in legs and tipping the scales at over 100 pounds. Put a leather collar on their neck and a big linked chain and people shake in their boots. And most of the "shady" breeders tie the dogs up with heavy chains to make them build up even more muscle.

But the majority of Pits do NOT look like this because they eat a normal diet, and they aren't worked to build up muscle mass. The majority of every day Pit Bulls found in shelters or living in homes are a moderately built dog with good muscling, but not grotesque. They often don't have their ears cropped, they wear an ordinary flat leather or nylon collar, and they are treated and handled no different than any other dog.

Does a winning AQHA halter horse look the same as a winning AQHA jumper? Hardly. Same breed, totally different look based on diet, bloodlines, and work.