The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Montana gov. offical wants all pitbulls in her state destroyed..please help

For all of our pitbull owners and dog lovers....please take a moment and write Ms. Driscoll an email (address on the link below) and let her know how you feel about this bill. She wants ALL pitbulls rounded up in her state and euthanized.

http://www.animallawcoalition.com/br...ns/article/650

It's so wrong. I get so cranky when people judge my pit just because they are ignorrant. My pit is an amazing dog. The BS that fuels BSl is the biggest load of garbage! I wish people would meet her(my pitt) before they judge her. It's amazing how opinions change when they meet her. Even if they have reserves about the breed, they melt away in a heartbeat!
    If history has taught us anything is that ethnic cleansing is so wrong. And once one "ethnic" group is "removed" then there will always be another.

3 dog attack fatalities in the last 43 years...??? So there are ample pits running rampant in Montana killing people? What is the basis for needing BSL in a state that really has next to 0 dog attack related deaths in the last 43 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    It's so wrong. I get so cranky when people judge my pit just because they are ignorrant. My pit is an amazing dog. The BS that fuels BSl is the biggest load of garbage! I wish people would meet her(my pitt) before they judge her. It's amazing how opinions change when they meet her. Even if they have reserves about the breed, they melt away in a heartbeat!
    If history has taught us anything is that ethnic cleansing is so wrong. And once one "ethnic" group is "removed" then there will always be another.

Hey, I've never owned a Pitbull and this bill infuriates me.......its a DOG!!! There are good and bad in EVERY breed...and there are good and bad owners with EVERY breed. I sent her a letter on behalf of those dogs. I couldn't imagine having to turn my dog over to the government to be killed, just because of his breed.

It certainly leaves me wondering what bee flew into her, um, bonnet.

What a terrible proposal.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Question

If my dog were subject to this trype of BS, I'd be living somewhere else in a heartbeat! Ignorrance is bliss for whom? The pit? The people who love them? And care for them and make the useful members in society?
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...s/DSCF0104.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...s/DSCF0298.jpg

She comes very high on my list of priorities!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkers On View Post
    If my dog were subject to this trype of BS, I'd be living somewhere else in a heartbeat! Ignorrance is bliss for whom? The pit? The people who love them? And care for them and make the useful members in society?
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...s/DSCF0104.jpg
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...s/DSCF0298.jpg

She comes very high on my list of priorities!
    What a cutie......yeah, she looks really vicious in those pictures. Hopefully this nut's bill will never pass.

The proposed bill seems to grandfather in all the Pit Bulls already there.

(3) The prohibition in this section does not apply to a person who:

(a) owned a pit bull dog and registered the ownership of the dog with the county government and obtained a license tag identifying the dog as a registered pit bull dog on or before [the effective date of this act];

Its still stupid, but they will not be killing the dogs already in the state.

What an F-tard.

Don't even have the breed but it begs the question who or what would be next?

Most people suck.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

BSL is BS. Using this logic, then we should euthanize all white men because Charlie Manson was a killer. I don't own a pit, but I am strongly against BSL (in case you can't tell). My family owned a pit bull when I was a kid, and he was the best dog we had while I was growing up.

I will send the governor an e-mail, but I urge everyone to write a letter (not just e-mail) since it has so much more impact than e-mail.

Sharon
    http://www.coolfitwear.com

I just wrote a respectful e-mail to Ms. Driscoll. But now that I think about it, I think we need to ban Female Democrats. It is obvious they can't be trusted, and are a hazard to society.

I don't think she would listen to me - I probably would be rude. Idiot.

I want to know who voted this idiot into office. Was she the only choice or what? I can't believe that someone this dumb didn't show glimpses of it during the campaign.

3 fatalities in 43 years, none of which involved pit bulls = banning pits? WTF?

And how are they going to define a pit? American Pit Bull Terriers? American Staffordshire Terriers? Staffordshire Bull Terriers? Bull Terriers? American Bulldogs? Or just kill it if it "sort of looks like a pit" ?

That's in The proposed bill too. If you want to prove your dog is not a Pit you have to pay for it and the hearing.

All those are mentioned plus any dog that looks like it might be one.

The woman is an idiot. I don't believe in painting with that broad a brush, that's ridiculous, what's her personal beef? It's extreme, but, speaking as someone whose innocent dog was just mauled by three pits and was lucky to not be eviscerated on the spot, I can't say that there isn't some merit in paying them special attention if they've already been a problem. The owners of the dogs expressed shock that their beloved pets could do something so horrible, completely missing the fact that 1) pits have a prey drive, they're hard wired that way, you don't get rid of it, you only manage it wisely, and 2) when you have three, you have a PACK. Let them run loose and they act like one. their dogs go to day care, socialize with other dogs and have never had a problem. Till now. I was stunned at the ferocity of the attack, and still can't think about it without having a panic attack, it was one of the most frightening things I've ever witnessed, my dog's screams will never leave my memory.

Add to that that unfortunately a large number of owners of pits are just looking for 'dicks on a leash', it's a macho thing, and the more vicious they are the better they like them, their reputation isn't entirely undeserved. There are a lot of bad owners, and some bad dogs. I'm a big fan of Cesar and love that he's taken his dogs and given them new lives, but he's a good leader, and Cesar's are few and far between.

Unfortunately there seems to be a rash of this going on around me too. I'm a member of the kennel club and this is the topic of choice right now. Many towns in SD and I've heard of legislation in NE as well, are seeking to ban not only pits, but dobermans, GSD, wolf hybrids, Rottis, Akitas, etc., or "any other agressive breed." (Good luck defining that).

There are two towns within 20 miles of me that I actually couldn't move to because I have 2 dobermans, or if I did they have to be neutered/spayed (they are) I have to have a six foot fence WITH a seperate fenced-in dog run, they must be muzzled at all times in the public venue and on leash.

I know it sounds just insane, but there are ALOT of people supporting this insanity then. One town outlawed GSD because a man on the board had heard a story of a retired police dog attacking someone before (not there of course).

Seriously don't get me started, but something has to be done to educate the public. This is a huge problem.

I'm sorry that your dog was on the recieving end of "pack mentality!" I've watched my own dog.. not the pit, the other one a white shepherd mix.. start acting with pack mentality when with a yellow lab and a mix breed coyote looking also shepherd mix dog. Something I will not allow! I am responsible for their lives if I allow pack mentality I allow my dogs to act stupidly and that is irresponsible. That gives idiots like this woman some wacky leg to stand on. I will never do that.

Have to add if cities would just ENFORCE THEIR LEASH LAWS I think most attacks would never occur...dog to dog or dog to human.

I've had TWO dogs attack me and my dogs while on a walk. Both loose and not under control of their owners. One a male lab who was seriously scary (he had his junk ;-) came after my mother, sister and I and both dobes (and I'm holding my male's muzzle because you know what dog is getting in trouble if something goes down...mine...) and another an English Springer Spaniel, who I was able to scream away after she bit my female doberman in the face (female dobe is a total puss and had no idea what to do...she thinks every dog is her best friend).

I love springers and labs, I just point out breed to point out how stupid these laws are.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Isn't the actuality that Black labs are the culprits in more dog bites a year than ANY other breed???
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Default 5th amendment

One more thought, because I'm getting fired up. Has anyone attacked this type of legislation with a 5th amendment argument? Outcome?

The one that says a person shall not "be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law." I think there is a strong argument that dogs are property.

Also, this is fair to those who seek to destroy dangerous animals after due process ... in other words "Punish the deed, not the Breed!"

I WOULD support $ a 5th amendment law suit if the facts were right...just wondering if it has been done.