The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Jen848 Guest

Default Using Venice Turpentine

Hi Everyone, On the recommendation of a farrier friend, I ordered venice turpentine to try to assist in the hardening of one of our horses hooves...has anyone else used this super sticky stuff?? Anything special I should know before applying? Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Ugh, it's yucky. Use gloves, because it is very tough on skin and I was told it could cause blistering. I used it on my mare's sensitive soles, and I think it did help.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

Definitely use gloves and try not to get it on anything. I read that some people apply it and then put a piece of some sort of paper over it to keep rocks and stuff from sticking on the hoof. You should do a search in this forum for info.
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Since it's used to harden the sole be careful not to use it on the frog or the coronet band, as my SO did!

I've read that setting the container in a bucket with a few inches of very hot water makes it significantly easier to deal with. Use a disposable plastic spoon to apply, cover the bottom of the foot with a square of paper from a bag of grain.

Durasole is a hell of a lot easier and less messy

Keep it in a warm place and apply with a toothbrush then keep everything in it's own bag or container or it will attach itself to everything else in your barn! Use it when the horse will be standing in his stall for a while - bedding will stick to it and make sort of a crust - won't be effective if you put it on and turn him out.

I did find some with its own applicator brush (like hoof dressing) which is also great if you can get it

Plain rubbing alcohol will help to take it off of any skin it gets stuck to. Doesn't remove absolutely all of it, but does the best job on a good start, in my experience.

I have a cheap, stiff brush dedicated to the VT jar, keep the whole thing in a ziplok bag twisted around the brush handle and clipped with a big blanket clip. The jar doesn't need to be tightly lidded, the baggie does an adequate job.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

I have some with its own applicator brush. I used it on my TB for the first week and a half he was barefoot.

He stopped being sensitive after a week or so. I would like to think that the Venice Turpentine helped him somewhat.

I've heard many complaints about it being messy but I didn't find it to be that big of an issue. I stored it in the heated tack room as well so it wouldn't get hard.

Thanks for the tips! How often should it be applied?
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

xBetterBeSocialx Guest

Also try to avoid getting it on your clothes! I now have a shirt with lovely VT stains on the arm from when my gelding decided to paw as I was applying it.

You might also want to tie up the tail when you do the hind feet - got VT in our guy's tail this summer when a horsefly landed on him (a crisis in his eyes)and that was a challenge to get out!

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    Plain rubbing alcohol will help to take it off of any skin it gets stuck to. Doesn't remove absolutely all of it, but does the best job on a good start, in my experience.
    I have not had that good luck with rubbing alcohol.

I was taught that if you set the hoof in a bed of shavings/saw dust after applying it that it helps it work and helps with the mess.

I have been using it on my guys who were ouchey from the frozen ground and having their shoes pulled. After a couple days, they seemed better.....not sure if its the VT or not, but I continue to use it when the ground is hard on my one boy who has thin soles. I tried putting the paper on as a previous poster said, but the paper just got stuck to the foot and I had to scrape it off the next day. Not fun. So now I put it on at night when I know they will be in awhile and the shavings sort of stick to it, which is alot better than the paper. It is messy, but it does come with its own brush. It gets really thick in the cold so I keep mine in the house and just bring it down to the barn at night when I use it. It washes off your hands if you get it on but stains your clothes.... Im thinking I might try Durasole or Keratex next time, but they're more expensive.

Mix some liquid DMSO in with the Venice. Make your venice about 20 % DMSO. DMSO is a solvent, as well as a carrier. It will keep the venice liquid instead of crystalized. Much easier to work with. No need to heat. Also drives the venice deep into the tissues of the sole. Not a problem getting the mixture on the frog, the surface of the frog needs to be keratinized as well. After application, over the bottom of the hoof with a hoof shaped piece of sheet cotton, press the cotton well up into the clefts, then put the horse in a bedded stall with sawdust to pack in there. The sheet cotton will stay in place and provide a barrier to bedding sticking to the venice. Only needs to be reapplied every few days (3 or 4 days?). The cotton is usually still there, and peels right off. This works best if the horse is wearing shoes, if barefoot, the cotton won't stay in.

Jen848 Guest

Wow! Thanks for the insight!

Talking sticky sticky

Yeah.....put on gloves, haha. Seriously, when I use it, I make my guy step onto shavings so it does not attract rocks out in to pasture. I actually prefer Magic Cushion, now that is really really sticky, beware. If I use it, I put some duct tape on the bottom to keep it in, and again rocks from attaching.
    Better to ask for forgiveness, than for permission.

Thumbs up jmho!

If it's too thick = you can thin it by adding some dribbles of REAL gum spirits turpentine liquid to it and stir it in until you have a thick liquid. My farrier & vet have various recipes they like that includes venice turpentine. My favorite is venice turpentine, thinned out w/gum spirits turpentine and coal tar. Stir & apply to nail holes, soles, everywhere. It kills/prevents white line, thrush & hardens/dries the hoof. Daily does it! Great for prevent cracks from getting infected. No need for paper. Even when you put some on, enough stays on to clog up holes and keep mud & things out. Kindof seals the hoof.

Venice turp is just concentrated pine gum spirits so it's just thick turpentine. Turp has be used to harden/dry hooves for ages!

Please be aware that VT and the thinner/stripper turp. is VERY FLAMMABLE! Just be wise when storing in and around the barn.