The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by downthecenterlinetheycome View Post
    At least my horse stopped and waited for me when I fell. He had that look on his face.. "Why are you down there, lady? You were SUPPOSED to stay on."
    Know that look! What are you doing down there? I went boom...except I was on a trail and then my horse decided he'd haul ass back to the barn...it was our second day at this barn and I was freaked that he'd head to the road vs. the barn. Duh! The road doesn't feed him...his stall does. All I cared about was him, as I tried to hastily limp back to the barn - asked my co-rider to follow my horse as I took a "short-cut" thru woods and pastures, over fences to get to him. All I had was broken ribs....oh, and did I mention that this happened AT A WALK?

Glad you came through relatively unscathed.

I don't have any advice to convince your mom, but I definitely suggest that you send your helmet back to the manufacturer with an explanation of what happened. They will be delighted to x-ray it and analyze it for their "crash" data, and will probably send you some sort of significant rebate on a new one.

I actually do have something to say to your mom. (I am a mom of a 15-year-old rider myself, so I know what she's thinking.) I have thought a long time about how I would feel about horses if my daughter got seriously injured in a riding accident, and I think - I hope - that I would try to understand that accidents happen. It could be a car accident, or a bike accident, or breaking your neck in a hockey game. If riding is what you DO, then she should try not to blame the horse or the sport or whatever as being too dangerous. You are really lucky - get back on and keep doing what you love.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Oh yea.. Helmet every time! I have a 17 hand 1700lb old style 23 year old GP schoolmaster. I was going to try out a new saddle on him. I got into the arena and forgot my helmet. I stood pondering whether or not to get on without it. You know... it's an extra 10 minutes to go back after all.

Anyway, my dh went and got my helmet. I got on. Right when I was gathering the reins, we hadn't taken one step forward yet, my 24 year old ARTHRETIC horse leaped up like he was jumping a 4ft fence from a stand still. And he did it 3 times. And I didn't have his mouth, the reins were still floppy, and then he bolted fast my foot came out of the stirrup.

I didn't come off, but wow.. huge lesson. NEVER ride without one. I would have certainly come off had I not had my helmet on. Murphy would have gotten me.

In this case, there were two deer above the arena in the woods. He could see them, I could not.

Quote Originally Posted by Budrow View Post
    Know that look! What are you doing down there?
    "That look" is MUCH better than the "oh crap, she is mad at me" look that they give you right before galloping back to the farm... no matter where it leaves you walking from!

Without further ado, here is my poor, sad hero of a helmet.
    http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...a/DSC00153.jpg
    http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...a/DSC00178.jpg
    (Rest of the photos here: http://s547.photobucket.com/albums/h...20of%20Trauma/ )

P.S. I'm feeling pretty good overall, did some groundwork with my horse today, made him listen to me. My bruises are now a delicate shade of emerald green with tinges of lime green.

Uh Oh - I think you should send those photos to the head office of Pony Club.

Man! Smashed that helmet up! Glad you're not seriously injured. I can't help with the Mom issue. There are several moms in my life, and some days it seems that I can't please any of them.
    "It’s a well-documented fact that of all the animals in the realm of agriculture, Bulls have the highest job satisfaction rate."~~Ree Drummond, AKA the Pioneer Woman

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

Wow! Those helmet photos should be used in some advertising to increase helmet use.

If you had not been wearing it, you would not be here telling us about it!

Had to post just say "Holy mother of God!" I look at that helmet and I picture what a human skull would look like.

Agree with the choice to hide the helmet from mom. What she doesn't know won't hurt no one, lol
    Some people are like slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

Am I the only one who reprimands their horse as they're falling off? I'm riding his neck and going "Oh, damn you, why are you doing this, you doofus. Stop it, ease up, it's nothing there. OH, COME ON, TANGO, get your brain together!" As I'm falling off. :P I also tend to assure people that I'm OK, as I'm airborne.
    No you're not! Although I don't know if reprimand would be the right word. My horse disappeared out from under me last spring when she encountered a field full of cows, her only phobia. Truly, if Thelwell had been there to capture it in ink, I would have been the original inspiration. Left hanging in midair, I yelled "FRUITBAT YOU!!!!" at her galloping behind. Thank god for helmets and cross-country vests! I was unhurt.

Wow yeah you would have been dead for sure.

Ouch! Looked at your helmet photos and you ARE lucky to be alive! Thank goodness you were wearing it..
    Otherwise, not a very good outcome at all.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

WOW to those helmet photos.. you are one very lucky young lady!

You also stated something about an Equisizer... why not tack him up and let him run around in that for a few minutes before each ride?

First of all, those pictures are EXACTLY what all the people who think they aren't necessary need to see...

Secondly, the girth was probably fine, it's likely your saddle fit. I rode a pony a million years ago that had no withers and was quite round. No matter how tight I got the girth, the saddle would end up on her neck when she'd get to bucking (which was almost daily)

And I too often discipline on the way down hahaha. The pony from above, was a terror to her little girl that owned her. Pony was 10.2 hands, and I was 16 and the only "grown person" small enough to get on her. If I'd get on and cowboy her, she'd be an angel for her kid. I was bucked off nearly once a week, simply because my center of balance was so off on something so tiny. One day in particular, she starts bucking, I'm yelling at her. I start to go over her shoulder, like always (she knew how to buck buck buck, then duck her shoulder and spin) and on the way down, I kept hold of the reins, smacked her in the head with my free hand, and got to my feet with reins in hand within second of hitting the ground. When pony realized she was still attached and I was up...well I've never seen pony eyes so big in my life. She met Jesus in that moment...and her attitude was much better after that day... Never again did she try to dump that little girl, or me.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Pacific - I'm very cautious. I did go to the ER and get checked out. Yesterday my ear started hurting a little, felt like an ear infection though. Is that a concussion sign? I did get pronounced 'no concussion' in the ER. No lumps or bumps or bruises on my head either. I actually read a book about the human brain and damage to it at one point (I was sick in bed and in the process of moving, it was the only book I could find. :P). Not sure if it sunk in, LOL.

Yeah, he has next to no withers.. Here's the culprit, Tango.
    http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...o/DSC00292.jpg
    http://i547.photobucket.com/albums/h...o/DSC00294.jpg

And here's his saddle on his bare back. I'm not sure of anything, but it seems a little narrow maybe? He has never been sore, even with hard currying on his back.
    http://s547.photobucket.com/albums/h...ence713/Tango/

I'm glad you're okay! Don't be afraid to call your doctor if your wrist or ear keep hurting bad. If it's something it's better to know early on, if it's nothing you might get some painkillers for it. As for your mom, maybe remind her that all serious athletes incur injuries, regardless of the sport. Gymnasts dislocate things, football players break things, hockey players knock teeth out and horseback riders get dumped on the ground. If you had been playing football for as long and as often as you've been riding, you'd already have broken your nose, fingers, ribs, etc.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Holy! That re-affirms my faith that tipperary helmets will crumple on impact. I never could get how that little peice of plastic could do so much.

Glad you're okay. It looks as if most of that damage was perhaps done AFTER it came of your head. Either way, I can't believe it came off in the first place. It always drives me nuts when I see people with their chin straps around their collar bones. ummmm.. (not saying yours wasn't done up properly).

I've been trampled and kicked in the head too. My helmet folded in half after that, but it wasn't visually damaged.

Liking the look of my J3 with the super hard shell even more...

As for your parents, I still argue with mine about competing and I'm 25. It's a scary thing for parents, all you can do is reassure them that you'll be as careful as possible, like driving a car.

Default How to fall?

This thread made me wonder what the best way to fall is ( obviously, away from hooves, but how?) I've been riding so long I don't remember being taught how to fall, and I almost never have....(need appropriate icon here for knocking on wood! ) But I'm learning to figure skate now as an adult, and it's the first thing they teach you--fall on your fanny or break your fall with your hands. What's the corollary for riding, other than protect your head and get out of the way of the hooves?

And of course, always wearing a helmet,every ride, every time. I wanted to wear a helmet figure skating but apparently only toddlers do that....I said if I was taking up figure skating as an adult I obviously didn't care whether I looked stupid or not....I'd rather be safe!

Quote Originally Posted by patterson View Post
    This thread made me wonder what the best way to fall is ( obviously, away from hooves, but how?) I've been riding so long I don't remember being taught how to fall, and I almost never have....(need appropriate icon here for knocking on wood! ) But I'm learning to figure skate now as an adult, and it's the first thing they teach you--fall on your fanny or break your fall with your hands. What's the corollary for riding, other than protect your head and get out of the way of the hooves?
    I've been told it's best to tuck and roll, preferably away from the hooves.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Holy SH*T! I will and never have second guessed wearing mine! Ive been stepped on, kicked in the head, smashed into the wall of an indoor head first (bit through my bottom lip completely), and most recently Ive been flipped over on top of. That last incident was a complete accident. Horse was cantering around nicely, tripped hard, couldnt get his feet back under him and went right over (ass of head) ontop of me. Crushed the entire brim of my helmet. it was all bent. Gave me a black eye and made me quite dazed. Pony had a bloody and scraped up nose.

I will never get on a horse with out a helmet. glad you ended up OK