The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So glad to hear that you're ok! A very good reminder for us all to check, check, re-check our girths and wear our helmets every time.
    Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Website

I'm a mom that watched my daughter come off her horse after he bucked the whole length of an outdoor arena. She too had never been thrown. He zigged, she zagged. She landed on her head on frozen ground. Crushed the helmet and she spent 3 days in a neuro ward. She too would have been dead without the helmet. Because she was wearing her tipperary vest she avoided any back injuries too. Making her stop riding never even entered my mind. I was bit by the horse bug at a very young age and I took my share of spills like everyone else. I know it would have killed her to take her horse away from her. There are days I held my breath when he has been a bu**head (yes, same horse 7 yr later) but she is happy and still riding. He has matured into a wonderful gelding and now this old lady rides him too. Everyone, person and horse alike, needs to be given a second chance.
    Glad you are all right and rooting that mom will let you go on with your horse.

First, hooray for helmets and hooray for you for wearing one. Glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Yeah, he spooks alot, and bolts, but I can handle it, piece of cake, never came off him before this.
    Staying on is not the issue. If he's really spooking and bolting "alot," that's dangerous behavior and it's time to figure out why he's doing it. Otherwise, you'll undoubtedly be having the discussion re: riding with your mother again in the near future.

I see your point MP. I will start looking into changing things, since I can't lunge right now. I'll pull the alfalfa pellets and just feed him hay, for one. And have his saddle fit checked when I can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecenterlinetheycome View Post
    ...just yesterday I said he'd never gotten me off. Forgot to knock on wood I guess. LOL.
    ACK!!!! NEVER say those words out loud. They will HEAR YOU!!!

Glad you are ok. Good luck with Mom. As a teen, I gave mine as little info as possible when I had falls...they tend to prefer that.

Seb
    \"The Truth is contagious, and I haven't washed my hands in days...!\"-- Stephen Colbert
    www.janearmour.com

Default glad you're ok

best argument when dealing with a mom afraid of having to take care of you longer than she plans to..."mother, at least I'm not riding pregnant on the back of a Harley with a tramp stamp tattoo". Good for you for having a helmet on, you're smarter than a lot of us were at your age. Or are now, for that matter.

ouch! glad to hear your okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    Drug abuse can be very expensive to treat, not to mention deadly.

horse addiction is similar, expensive to treat, and can be quite dangerous. personally, i think horses are healthier in the long run

I never had mom trouble with horse related falls and injuries, She always figured that if I was going to find a way to kill myself I'd manage it one way or the other even if she wrapped me in bubble tape.... hmmm anyone know any horses like that?? LOL

I always wore a helmet and always will. I'm glad to hear you had yours on as well.

The one time I was about to go out without a helmet, I remembered a couple minutes into the ride, I rode back and grabbed the helmet and rode out, bareback. Horse got back close to home chomped down on the bit and went for a dead run (ex barrel horse but typically dead calm). We come to the corner of the paddock within the pasture and he makes like he is going to turn left and I'm pulling him left and at the last second he practically sat down and spun to the right. to make a long story short I landed in some 2-4 foot diameter boulders that had been pulled out of the ground and piled to the side.

I came out of it with a fairly serious knee injury (which rehabbed without surgery thankfully!). but the scariest part was when they pulled my helmet off it laid flat in 6 pieces. To this day the place I was riding at kept the helmet as a reminder to other riders

You are amazing to still be horse-focussed and your confidence intact. HOWEVER, as a riding Mom myself, I know the fear of watching my daughters do the things I wouldn't turn a hair at myself in the past. But if the horse is a spook, or there's any chance of a repeat, you need to address the issue to do all you can to avoid the same again. Feed, training, routine. Riding has its inherent dangers, but it is not an extreme sport! Not to say that your hore didn't have an excuse with the saddle up on his ears, poor guy. Take care, you hear?

P.S. Years ago, I had my girth slip backwards on a long run on a hunt. Someone galloped up to me and said, "Hey - did you know your girth had slipped". I pulled up and my girth was like a bucking strap - carelessly I had not re-checked my girth. He was a high withered TB and I guess the saddle just stayed put. What a good boy he was. Your story reminded me of that.

Glad you are okay, that sounds very scary. Everyone had great advice. Good luck with getting back to riding, but make sure that you are fully recovered before you start again.

Some of the definite best parental arguments for riding: "I am at the barn riding my horse rather than (pick one) partying, doing drugs, drinking, fighting, hanging out with the "wrong set of people..." etc, etc. If you mention drinking, make sure you mention something about how comparatively dangerous drunk driving is.

I've never had to use them, but I've heard they work quite well, really. Good luck and hope you heal quickly.
    "The more I see, the less I know, the more I like to let it go." -Red Hot Chili Peppers

Barn Swallow Guest

That is frightening. I'm so glad you are ok. I think it would be a good idea for you to post a picture of your helmet. It might be a case where a picture really is worth a thousand words.
    My Rx: a hot bath, a bag of M&Ms, the remote and a comfy couch.

I will get a helmet pic today. (Left it at the barn).

I'm experiencing some 'afteraffects'; my jaw's all sore on both sides (have some bruises), my neck, my shoulders, my bruise is a bit swollen and hard, and oddly my wrist feels sprained or something? If I twist it, or press on it, it really hurts, but why wouldn't this have shown up the day of the fall, if not right after??? It's farther down the wrist, I feel pain right after that bone on top, and a little more forward on the bottom.

So glad you are OK. I would reiterate what another poster(s) said and get your saddle fit checked ASAP. Even with a loose girth your saddle should not have been able to shift that far forward (unless your horse had no withers at all?). I bet if you saddle had stayed in place your odds of hanging in there would have been much improved. Best of luck to you.

So, OP - how do you feel today? I think tomorrow will really tell how stiff you are, its often worse the second or third day. So sorry, glad you are ok. Nice long hot showers. Like every two or three hours. Ouch.

Oops, didn't see your recent post. You may actually have bruised some bones, and that really hurts, even though they don't show up as broken or cracked. Also, ligaments have been stretched and torn, so they are sore sore sore. And, yes, worse today and tomorrow, as the stiffness and swelling sets in. Yesterday, the injuries weren't as swollen as they are today.

Ibuprofen is your friend!! Anti inflamatory, it is, and remember, all your injuries are swelling. I call it Vitamin I, its hard to start the day without it. You need to take a goodly dose, get your doctor to prescribe like a 600mg horse pill of it, easier to take than 4 or 5 little ones, and keep up with it every 6 hourse or whatever your doc says, as it builds up in your system and really keeps you from hurting. Makes a world of difference, and you will be able to sleep better at night. Yes, is the swelling aspect of the injuries which hurts now.

If something hurts only because you touch it, its probably a bruise, including bones.

Just my experience of similar and recent events.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

I had an injury on the ground BEFORE I got in the saddle -- ended up with a concussion. Put a rather large dent in my helmut and thank the Good Lord I was wearing one. Doc in the ER said I'd be dead or a veggie had I not been wearing one. Stupid horse hit me in my head with his --hard.

These are very large, living, breathing animals with minds and wills of their own. They do stupid stuff and sometimes we get hurt. I still think it's worth every moment I spend with my horse.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

how does everyone feel about letting < 12 year olds be responsible for checking their own girths before going into a stadium jump course?

just wondering.

yes, all of the children have helmets on

First, I am so happy you are OK. A helmet saved my life once in a very similar and dramatic way (my helmet split in half when I went head first onto a cement driveway). I don't understand why some people don't wear them.

Our next Pony Club meeting is dedicated to helmets and safety. I have to teach about helmets to kids. Can you take some photos of your helmet and email them to me (watermarkfarm@yahoo.com) to use in my lecture?

Your poor mom. Give her some time to settle down from this, then talk to her calmly about riding. Us moms have such conflicting feelings about letting our kids ride. We feel SO guilty when they get hurt. It sort of goes against your instincts as a parent, which is to keep your kids very safe. I ride and have evented, so I understand the risks. Still, it was HARD when my daughter had an accident ending in an ambulance ride (with a fractured helmet to show for it). I honestly felt like I'd put her in harm's way by letting her ride a horse. I had to do some serious soul searching, and for the first time, I understood how parents could ban their child from riding after a serious accident....

First off, I'm 14. Honestly, I would do a quick girth check for any kid before they go out on a course, or an adult for that matter. Just while you're wiping the boots, slide a finger down there just in case.

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll try to get that saddle fit checked; yes, he has very little withers. The thing that puzzles me is that the girth seemed fine to me; can a horse bloat for 5 minutes? And it was fine throughout our ride before, which included many trot - halt- trot - back - trot transitions. I took some pics the other day of the saddle on his bare back; would posting them here help? I know I need a real fitter, but money is REALLY tight right now. :-/

I'm glad you're OK, Canterqueen.

Watermark - Of course, I'll send you photos when I take 'em. Yikes, that sounds like a nasty fall. I totally understand her feelings with it; it's just, if she could be a little NICER about it. She's really mad at me about it all, and very mad at my horse. Blames me, alot, and I understand, but it wasn't really on my agenda either.

Ponyclubrocks - Definitely. I think I could have hung on easily (I haven't fallen off in years, and I do tend to ride a lot of greenies), except I went, wait, why the heck am I on his neck? He just put his head on the ground and pulled. Wish I'd thought to bail to the side.

Am I the only one who reprimands their horse as they're falling off? I'm riding his neck and going "Oh, damn you, why are you doing this, you doofus. Stop it, ease up, it's nothing there. OH, COME ON, TANGO, get your brain together!" As I'm falling off. :P I also tend to assure people that I'm OK, as I'm airborne. (Picture me flying off all the while saying "IT'S OK, I'M FINE!" before hitting the ground.) At least my horse stopped and waited for me when I fell. He had that look on his face.. "Why are you down there, lady? You were SUPPOSED to stay on."

Wow, I am so happy that you are OK, and as everyone else has said, thankful you were wearing a helmet!

As a rider, I understand you need to ride again despite Mom's fear, but as a Mom, I would have been hysterical.

My mother is terrified of horses, every time I tell her I'm going to get on Trav, she worries, because he launched me good when he was a greenie.

And trust all of us who have had bad falls, you ARE going to be nervous your first time back on, and your horse will be too. Take it slow, make sure your trainer is with you, and keep it short and simple. You're probably going to spend a few rides just re-building his confidence, because I'm sure having a saddle up his neck was a very, very scary thing for him.

And yeah... maybe he needs to go on a 'hay only' diet for a little while to settle him down a bit.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Take it easy for a while. Anybody who has had a bad accident (car or riding or skiing, etc)
    knows that aches and pains can keep surfacing for quite a while, including headaches. You proabably are not "fine" for a while yet anyway. Lucky, yes.