The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

To the OP: Although you were cleared in the ER for signs of a concussion, don't hestitate to go back to be checked out further if things just don't feel 'right'. Just in case.

I hope you are feeling better. That sounds like it was quite a tumble.

OMG! your lucky that was not your skull!

I've broken a plastic helmet before, but yours is rapid!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzy Lady View Post
    Holy! That re-affirms my faith that tipperary helmets will crumple on impact. I never could get how that little peice of plastic could do so much.
    I thought the same thing after I broke my plastic helmet. It fell off my head during the fall and broke nearly in two, how could it possibly be protective?! But then I realized I didn't even have a bruise or headache. The helmet crumbles so your head doesn't. Not that I can say too much though, I'm a little nervous to wear my Tipperary now..

Wow! That's one smooshed helmet!!!
    Glad to hear the ER cleared you!

You are such a lucky girl! Your horse (stinky little bugger! ) is pretty cute, too.

When I brought my horse out to college with me he went from a 5 acre pasture with buddies to a tiny dirt lot all by himself- and my normally playful, sane horse became a hard to handle, explosive ball of pent up energy. Some days I felt like I was handling a race horse. I had to put a chain on his nose just to bring him in from his paddock, this is the same horse that I could lead with a piece of binder twine on his neck at home. Some of it was due to him feeling good (his ringbone was alleviated by the constant low level movement as opposed to galloping around with his buddies all the time) but I am a 100% sure that the majority was caused by being bored and having so much pent up energy. He went back to his normal happy self when we came home. Maybe some toys or some liberty work would help your guy to safely release some energy ? Good luck, stay safe !

Quote Originally Posted by kateh View Post
    I've been told it's best to tuck and roll, preferably away from the hooves.
    I remember when I was little and in pony club they taught us to fall off- If I remember correctly we were supposed to scissor kick off our horse landing on our feet and then summersault away from our horse, the last part never seemed like a good idea: if you were to land safely on your feet and then why fling your head and neck towards the ground... I suppose they were actually try to teach the tuck and roll-away-from-the-horse move but that is how I remember them explaining it.

For pete's sake, stop knocking "plastic" helmets! It's the INSIDE of the helmet that protects your brains, not the shell. So-called "Titium" or "Titanium" or "Kryptonite" $400 helmets do NOT keep your head any safer than plastic-shelled Troxels or Tipperarys; it's a total marketing ploy. The styrofoam is supposed to explode/collapse on impact; that's what it's purpose is. If the OP was wearing a helmet with a different kind of shell and it was cut open, the damage would have been exactly as severe.

In fact, those fancy helmets can be LESS safe because after a crash, there is no visible damage and people continue to use them. Better to see the damage and be thankful it wasn't your head, than to think, hey, the helmet's fine, no problem.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Aye Carumba, what a fall that must have been. Those pictures say it all...you are lucky to be alive. So glad you're ok. Thank you for posting those pictures. They should be a sticky to remind us all how important it is to wear a helmet.

Nope, no headaches. Anyone have any opinions on the saddle fit? I know I should get a fitter out, not ask the COTH peeps, but money is really tight right now.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecenterlinetheycome View Post
    Nope, no headaches. Anyone have any opinions on the saddle fit? I know I should get a fitter out, not ask the COTH peeps, but money is really tight right now.
    Try a no slip pad. I used to ride a witherless (and slightly obese) pony who's saddle, while fit, would slide because of the obeseness and lack of wither. lol. I used a no slip pad and a neoprene girth and that seemed to helped keep it in place.

If the 'no slip pad' you are referring to is the very thin rubbery mesh kind that go under the regular pad, you can buy the exact same thing at Walmart as a roll of kitchen shelf lining for very little money.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

=) Thanks for the tips.

My helmet is going on display at a riding school where no one (including the kids) wears a helmet, courtesy of a fellow boarder. I will get the helmet back after she's shown it to everyone and hopefully changed their minds. It will be used to educate ever non-helmet wearer I know or don't know, LOL.

Those are amazing pics and you are very lucky (and not entirely lucky-- the most important thing was your decision to wear the helmet!)...

Your horse is getting ridden 3x a week, turned out in a small paddock, is young, hot, and eating alfalfa pellets, right? I'd go back to just hay, and see if you can find someone who wants to hop on and ride another 2 days a week -- perhaps someone who is horseless at the moment who'd love the chance to ride more.
    It's hard to expect them to be really calm all the time when they are not putting out the calories they are taking in....
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Those are amazing pics and you are very lucky (and not entirely lucky-- the most important thing was your decision to wear the helmet!)...

Your horse is getting ridden 3x a week, turned out in a small paddock, is young, hot, and eating alfalfa pellets, right? I'd go back to just hay, and see if you can find someone who wants to hop on and ride another 2 days a week -- perhaps someone who is horseless at the moment who'd love the chance to ride more.
    It's hard to expect them to be really calm all the time when they are not putting out the calories they are taking in....
    We already pulled the pellets, he's on Bermuda hay only. It's hard with the riding thing - as I said, he's having some soundness issues, so it's a matter of W/T, no real circles, sharp turns or lateral work. Vet says to work him gently like this, as the fitter he is, the sounder he is, but I don't want to damage him.

He's kept 24/7 on a paddock that's like 1/4 - 1/2 of an acre, in my total guesstimation. I say it differently every time, I'm a terrible guesser.