The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tips for a trace clip?

(Just editing to say this is an old question- I feel quite competent with clippers now! Sch1star reopened this thread with a question in post #17!)

My friend is letting me borrow her body clippers so I can trace clip my leased mare...

Any tips for making this actually turn out looking like a trace clip and not some weird design on bowling shoes?

Also, blanketing- she has a medium weight high neck and a light weight high neck... I've been keeping her in her mid-weight at around 40 and below. We're supposed to get into single digits this week- do I need to dig out my heavy weight?
    Last edited by eponacowgirl; Jan. 20, 2010 at 05:48 PM.

My best piece of advice is to use some white tape. Tape the pattern onto your horse and then step back and look at it. Make sure to compare both sides thoroughly.... I've seen way too many trace clips that are higher on one side than on the other. The tape is great because you can move it around until you get it just right. I don't suggest firing up the clippers until this happens .

As far as the blanketing goes, the nice thing about a trace clip is that you're really not taking off that much hair. I'm all the way down in south Alabama, so I don't even own a heavy blanket. My general rule is 50 and below- lightweight sheet, 40 and below- medium weight blanket. If it gets super cold I just layer the two. Hopefully someone can answer the blanketing question better than me!!!!
    Last edited by IrishDeclan; Jan. 13, 2009 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Oops.... forgot to answer about the blanketing

Try this: http://www.horsehero.com/1295/stable-management/5703
    Personally, I prefer a full hunter clip. That way, you don't get any sweaty places, you only have easy lines to make and you can put on a heavy rug and forget about mediums, changing in mid-day, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Personally, I prefer a full hunter clip. That way, you don't get any sweaty places, you only have easy lines to make and you can put on a heavy rug and forget about mediums, changing in mid-day, etc. etc.
    Thanks for the video! I downloaded it for reference!

My mare lives out 24/7 with limited shelter- I'm worried about taking it all off. I think a low trace is a much better idea!

I think you need to clip flames down the side of her. Sorry, was inspired by the bowling shoe comment...

My advice (since I'm a bad friend and can't come out and help you), is just do it. So what if it isn't perfect the first time? It's hair, it grows back, and no shows for a few months. I've never had much luck with the tape method, but do decide beforehand where you want to clip, and kind of pick waypoints on the horse as to where you'll be clipping. Have you seen this?
    http://www.peasridge.co.uk/clipper-a...se-clips.shtml

Usually with a trace clipped horse, I'll do a sheet 35 and up, and a mid weight 35 and under. But I know you....you'll be digging out the heavy later this week regardless.

Default So ... is it really too late to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    I think you need to clip flames down the side of her. Sorry, was inspired by the bowling shoe comment...

My advice (since I'm a bad friend and can't come out and help you), is just do it. So what if it isn't perfect the first time? It's hair, it grows back, and no shows for a few months. I've never had much luck with the tape method, but do decide beforehand where you want to clip, and kind of pick waypoints on the horse as to where you'll be clipping. Have you seen this?

Usually with a trace clipped horse, I'll do a sheet 35 and up, and a mid weight 35 and under. But I know you....you'll be digging out the heavy later this week regardless.
    New hairy horse .... really want to clip ... riding seriously 3-4 x a week -- hairy horse sweats a lot. Already blanketed and stabled at night ... normally in lower 30's at night.

So.... is it really too late to clip? Some schooling shows this winter; first big show late April.

I would go ahead with it.

I would put whatever rug I feel necessary on, and if you put the heavy one on, and she starts to sweat up, don't put it back on, because she is more likely to get sick.

I watched that video; I thought the chalk was a tampon at first! i had to tun the volume up so I could hear that he said chalk, to re-assure myself

And I love the horse in the background, who keeps yawning when he's explaining the blanket clip

But will definitely download it, so I can refer to it when I clip

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Agreed. I trace clipped one of my guys this year, but only because I had to battle with his weight a bit and wanted the extra bit of warmth (and he doesn't usually work terribly hard). Every body else is nekkid except for their legs, and Paco and the hunter ponies are nekkid all over!

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post
    My friend is letting me borrow her body clippers so I can trace clip my leased mare...

Any tips for making this actually turn out looking like a trace clip and not some weird design on bowling shoes?

Also, blanketing- she has a medium weight high neck and a light weight high neck... I've been keeping her in her mid-weight at around 40 and below. We're supposed to get into single digits this week- do I need to dig out my heavy weight?

I use duct tape for the lines and it works great for trace clips. I tried the lightweight tape and it peels off when you are about 1/2 way done.

I'm in the Atlanta area.....I use medium weight and layer a lightweight over it for wind/rain on storm days. Ours come into stalls at night though. I have a heavy that I only use for 1-2 weeks per year here in winter.

Just do it. Hell we are eventers and never have stood on pomp and circumstance, right? I doubt an uneven trace clip will affect your dressage score. That said I live in the mountains of Georgia. I will trace clip my mare in about two weeks for our first HT the first weekend in Feb. Yesterday it was 45 wind chill of 40 and after 30 min trot work she was sweaty. If going into the single digits even with ALL her hair I put on a heavy. I would layer the med with the heavy because outside wind chill is also a big factor. Oh and LOTS of hay.

I use chalk instead of tape. No one will really notice if its not perfect, it'll be mostly grown in by the start of the season.

I use dry erase markers (green or black works well) or chalk on my black mare. I've found that some horses hate having the tape pulled off. Just make sure that when you use the markers on a grey horse, clip those hairs off too...otherwise you wind up with an outlined horse
    Another tip that someone told me...no one can see both sides of the horse at once, so as long as they are both neat, it doesn't matter if they match perfectly.
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

Between you guys and my BO, I've been told I'm obsessing and to just shut up and do it! I'll take pictures so y'all can see WHY I'm being so paraniod... Wish me luck!!

While everyone who knows me would laugh until they fell over at the notion of me giving advice on a clipping thread...

if you are worried about blanketing, do a bib clip. I do mine -- underside of neck, chest, between the legs and across the lower shoulders, belly to JUST behind the girth. Leave the rest of their flanks and bellies furry. It REALLY helps with sweating during work, and seems to not make much of a dent in their ability to keep warm. I do NOT blanket at all for warmth and they are fine out 24/7 this way -- although they are easy keepers in good weight with lots of hay. I only do sheets for cold/freezing rain.

So I do not think he will keel over without a lot of blankets, if you leave his hair mostly intact and do a modest clip.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Make sure, also, that you clip in a bum design afterwards, such as.
    Last edited by r.matey; Jan. 20, 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Updated link.

Okay, first, yay for the search function.

However you with public FB links - they have expired!

And the Horsehero site requires registration with payment to watch videos. Boo. It looked like there were some good videos, but hmm.

Trying to determine appropriate clip for pony to get back into work in freezing-here, then down to mid-60s/mid-40s south, then back here to mid-40s/mid-20s.

I think I will start with a bib and maybe go to a trace in Aiken? I do want to be able to put him back in full t/o at home without freezing. Suggestions welcome!

I did a modified trace on my gelding this year. I could go a little higher on his neck but he is dry in all the right places after a hard work out. It ends right behind his girth.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...34&id=51801315

I guess it would be an Irish clip.

or you could ask me to do it and I could make a video of it like I did at MTPC. ooo, I could be one of those "experts."
    Hillside Haven Farm
    From starting gate to start box!

I used lipstick last year but it made Taco greasy in spots. I was going to use livestock chalk this year but when I opened the package it was ancient and would not write. So I eyeballed it. He looks ok.

I would take mc up on her offer, personally. Maybe she and Brandy can be on Expert Village.

Quote Originally Posted by eponacowgirl View Post

get some blue plumbing chalk then mark out on the horse your trace clip
    if its still colder then dont do to high,
    clip in one straight line alone the blue plumb line then clip th horse out to finish to adjust any tiny weany bits if wonky then simple turn the clippers upwards and just trim the edges evenly as in dinky trims tiny weany snips

also some horses and ponies have the odd long hairs comming out of there coats looka bit like a beard as in a lone lone hair then another, these need to trimed with scissors or the clipper as in alight clip over the entire body

then also on helpful links is how to pull a main and tail
    no point doing a lcip if the name and tail isnt tidy either

also if the horse has feathers on his legs and you to trim them up then start at the top near where the chestnut is and trim downwards this way it will look neat and no lines showing trim around th coronet with sciossors to finish the foot of nicely

check out my helpful links pages and go towards the bottom and click on horsesheros they have a full video of how to the horse

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178116

and perhaps turn the clippers on so the horse can used to the noise, if however she plays up see if anyone else has a good horse that stands still then do that horse outside her stable so the horse can see what going on
    then run our clippers over the horse on the off position a few times
    then turn them on, and stand close to the horse but dont touch the horse
    just so she can used to the noise then do a couple of dry runs over the horses back and sides with out clipping just to assocaite the horse with the noise over his body, then start at a simple place i like to start at the chest as its straight upwards to the thoart and thats done and out the way, then straight down between the front legs whilse we at it here
    dont forget to stretch the skin between the front legs as there are folds of skin that need to be clipped in that area if your keeping the legs on
    Last edited by goeslikestink; Jan. 20, 2010 at 04:36 PM.