The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

oh The Bandit you are here too! Good to see, I thought that letter might have been lost.

Jeloushe- You have a PM!

I guess I see both points of view-the OP and the BO.
    Truely the BO would do well to hook up with Katie Price...
    they could share money and dreams...

The BO should have been much more careful to make sure it was clear where the money was going.

The BO clearly misinformed the community...it showed through the newspaper article, and her website.
    I would feel duped if I was a sponser..but that's just me.

Now, next on my "to do" list, is asking mum to hold me a fundraiser so I can travel Europe and maybe get to ride with some BNTs as well....since some people find it completely alright, I won't feel bad about taking their money...

But I will tell everyone that I will use the money to feed orphans in third world countries...

Supposedly from the letter.....
    "Our main objective is the promotion of local business. As well, it will serve as an open house for helping our centre to raise funds to improve our facility and rider education because Blah Blah Centre plays a huge role in our community."

So they promoted some local businesses at the event in return for donated auction items. We don't know that they plan to build an indoor and the money spent on BNT lessons would certainly improve rider/customer education.

Where's the beef ?

Methinks the OP speaks in half truths.

The beef is that they said the funds would improve the facility and rider education, but the only rider being educated with the funds is the BO.

If the BO thought having a fundraiser to raise money for herself was perfectly reasonable, she would have been honest about what the funds were for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    The beef is that they said the funds would improve the facility and rider education, but the only rider being educated with the funds is the BO.
    She doesn't teach what she has learnt?

If the BO thought having a fundraiser to raise money for herself was perfectly reasonable, she would have been honest about what the funds were for.
    She was
    You just didn't read it that way.

I think it is a bit tacky to ask for donations to fund your privately owned facility as if you were providing some precious community resource. Is it the ONLY riding facility in the area? Aren't there farms where someone can go take lessons from someone who has taken those kind of lessons and, you know, actually paid for them themselves or put in their time as a working student to get that kind of education?

That said, I guess she's a good saleswoman...it sounds like it was presented in a misleading but not strictly untruthful way, but then how is that different from the person who posts their Saddlebred-Clydesdale-QH filly and claims it is a sporthorse prospect? Misleading advertising runs rampant in the horse world and ultimately the buyer should beware.

Now that I've said that, I'm providing a priceless community educational service on backyard breeding and bad training techniques and my paypal is...

Sounds like the boy who came to my door collecting funds for "a good cause." Upon investigation, it turned out that "goos cause" was HIMSELF!! He wanted to buy a new bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Raquel View Post
    I think it's terrible that the BO is being dishonest about where the money is going.
    I'm wondering if this could be considered fraud???
    yes fruad by deception - come on get real its a con

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    "Our main objective is the promotion of local business. As well, it will serve as an open house for helping our centre to raise funds to improve our facility and rider education because Blah Blah Centre plays a huge role in our community."

So they promoted some local businesses at the event in return for donated auction items. We don't know that they plan to build an indoor and the money spent on BNT lessons would certainly improve rider/customer education.

Where's the beef ?

The person clearly stated,on our local forum, that the funds were specifically to help her get to ride with a BNT....which completely contradicts what was said in that ad...That's the beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_D View Post
    The person clearly stated,on our local forum, that the funds were specifically to help her get to ride with a BNT....which completely contradicts what was said in that ad...That's the beef.
    Indeed. There were so many contradictions on what was said by the BO, it made my head spin. In one post it was for the community, and in another post, she clearly stated the funds were for herself and herself only.

We've all attended in-house shows and fundraisers, I'm sure, and most of us probably have no issue with where the funds would go...but geez, if I said I was having a fundraiser to support, lets say, Cancer research, and you all came out thinking your money was going to cancer research, and found out I gave it all to the political party you detest, you'd be pissed, no doubt! (hey, that was one heck of a long sentence, eh)

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post

Where's the beef ?

You thinks wrong. First of all, this facility is leased on PROTECTED land here in this city. There is a program that was developed to prevent the development of natural forest, lakes, and farm land in the area. All houses and farms on this land are never to be offered for sale, only leased. That being said, they are also not allowed to build on these sites. Very rarely there is an exemption given to someone who has shown great financial success over many years, and if the business on the property clearly benefits the community. This particular chunk of land is not open for building, there will be no arena.

This property was given the lease in belief it would be turned into a theraputic riding center, however there is no mention of it on their website and knowing a few boarders there, it is clearly a lesson and eventing farm.

Its too bad the local forum was deleted, you could have read it straight from the BOs mouth saying the money was going into HER pocket for training. That is NOT helping the facility, or expanding riders at the farms knowledge.

Protected land, leased barns...none of that is pertinent to the BNT-auction question that has been raised here.

Jealoushe, I don't know the players, but have been around some of the same persuasion. They try to play fast and loose, then wind up getting flushed out before their scheme gets to the finish line, so they 'fess up.

It sounds to me that you are ticked off at the BO and jealous of all manner of things involved with her. She may have started this off on less than transparent footing, but since she has come clean, it is now up to the businesses to decide whether to go forward or pull out of the auction. If you are on good footing with some of these business owners, and want to clear up the misinformation they may have been given without being snarky about it, fine. But otherwise, I do not think you are served well at all by continuing along these lines, or even by being involved in this person's activities. Surely there must be a better person, a better barn or a better cause to direct your energies towards. JMHO.

I only bring up the barn and arena because of the claim the money was going to build an arena.

The auction has already happened, the business's have no idea (as far as I know) that they were misinformed. The BO came clean on the local horse forum, most of the businesses were not horse related.

I do not think you are served well at all by continuing along these lines, or even by being involved in this person's activities.
    Continuing along what lines? This is purely a discussion. I love COTH for that reason, you can openly discuss situations and get some insight.

Why do people always have to throw out the jealousy card? I can assure you there is nothing about this person or situation I am jealous of. I have strong morals, and honestly just thought it was wrong/tacky. Is it impossible to think that maybe some people really just do care when others are taken advantage of?

Quote Originally Posted by Chief2 View Post
    Protected land, leased barns...none of that is pertinent to the BNT-auction question that has been raised here.

I just went back and re-read the original post on this thread....and I believe all of the things you mention above are very pertinent to the situation. The BR(barn rentor) has stated that funds would go to build arena etc etc, yet she can't build an arena as she leases the property. She has blatantly mislead the community as a whole.

Why would you even suggest someone is being motivated by jealousy? I don't even know who "jeloushe" is, but I don't see her (or him if that is the case) acting in any other way but to inform the community about what is going on here.

pinkhairgirl Guest

Default wow!

I was following the thread on the other forum and I can't believe people
    are still here and trying so hard to prove that the OP is wrong and they are right.That they are even resorting to taking the op's words out of contex . Shame on you for trying so hard to ruin a good thing. And FYI I know at least 4 disabled children/adults that ride at that Barn, they just don't advertise therapeutic riding because they accept children/adults on a one off basis. Doesn't the OP by being mentored under a BNT bring wonderful opportunities to the coaches and students at the barn?
    You better get your facts straight before trying to slander someone's name .

Quote Originally Posted by pinkhairgirl View Post
    Doesn't the OP by being mentored under a BNT bring wonderful opportunities to the coaches and students at the barn?
    You better get your facts straight before trying to slander someone's name .
    I assume you mean the BO, not the OP.

If the BO thought HER best interests were the community's best interests, she would have put that in the letter rather than make a lot of vague claims that the money was to improve the stables.