The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The thing is, asking for money for something always assumes that the people who are going to give you the money want that thing to be successful.

I'd say those who are not interested in continuing her career just don't buy anything at the auction

I think it sounds like a fine idea, and not offensive at all. The info posted seems very straightforward and honest. FWIW, I have donated services to silent auctions not only to benefit the organization hosting them but also to generate publicity for my business. Win-win situation. There is mention of lessons donated? IME, a great way to get new clients - it's not only the charity or in this case the farm that benefits, it's the provider of the donated goods/services (free advertising) and the person buying the goods, often at a great price. At the last silent auction I attended, which was for a charity, many of the items sold for less than their retail value, sad perhaps, but in this economy a fact of life. Considering all this, it doesn't seem greedy or tacky to me at all.

Tacky. Able-bodied, property-owning adults of sound mind and body do not hold charity events to fund their own hobbies. All the conversations on COTH boards about how DHs can't be expected to fund wifey's hobby, and yet it's okay for non-family members to be encouraged to do so via a silent auction? How weird is that?

Well I just did a little Googling and found 2 sites with the information, but on neither did it mention what the silent auction and winter festival was to benefit.
    I have to say this person, who ever she is has a boatload of sponsors offering great stuff.
    Either she's a great salesperson [though her tack shop tanked so... *shrug*] or she can ride?

Default Hay

As far as the sponsors...they probably don't care about the person having the silent auction, they are interested in getting their items, services, etc. in front of some class A prospects (the actual people attending the horse fair as consumers). So I see no evil here as long as the sponsors understand that this all benefits her.

Might have been easier to get on the phone with Ariat or someone and ask for sponsorship. Maybe that company would want their name in front of this BNT and have not had an opportunity to catch their attention. This might be a round about way too....Have student wear an outfit, boots...etc. Not sure how big the BNT is but...

Hay, you gotta do what you gotta do...as long as the public understands...Sounds like a fun event.
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

These days riding, showing etc. is so expensive if you have the balls for it and can get the sponsors, good for her. No coercion going on. These days, with cutting our standard of living, we only go to fundraisers - we'd have no fun it there was nobody to support. I like to help out young people who have the get-up-and-go to make something of themselves.
    We recently attended a fundraiser and silent auction for a rider who needed to attend an event - she did, and she got long listed. I just don't think you can live on the dole though - reality has to set in at some time.

There isn't even a mention of the rider/BOs name on either website so how can anyone know who the money is for and what kind of rider they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    These days riding, showing etc. is so expensive if you have the balls for it and can get the sponsors, good for her. No coercion going on.
    Well there is certainly an omission of [pertinent to some] information. I would not call that 'coercion' but still.... is it truly how it should be done?
    So now our riding future is in the hands of those ballsy enough to get the sponsors and dupe people into buying stuff to fund us and not those who have talent and have worked hard to get somewhere?

I have no idea who this person is, or the situation, I am speaking universally....

if it's a benefit then that should be clearly stated as well as who is to benefit.

Just wanted to post an update. The original sponsorship letter was posted on the other forum, and the funds were proposed to go to the community and better the facility (for the community). That is what Businesses were told. The BO posted themselves the money was going into their pocket on the other forum.

Ambiguity counts against the writer....

In this case, it sounds crappy and not the least bit honest. "But, I never said exactly where the money was going" is no excuse, it's sleazy.

That said, if the stuff is a bargain...who cares what the money is for...just make sure to let the sponsors know what their donations were going towards...I'm snarky enough when someone does this sort of thing to let the sponsors know up-front...just in case they've been lied to.

OMG I can't believe this thread is here.

Looking SO forward to reading all the replies, and adding my two cents!!
    Hopefully it won't get DELETED like on our local forum!!!!!

Mmmmm..where TF was I the last few days, huh???? Probably looking at rescue pics online, as per usual.

Teddy....I give you kudos for sticking up for your barn, I really do, but wake up girl!!!

For any still awake enough to read this drama...the WHOLE thread has been deleted on our local forum.

Hmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    There isn't even a mention of the rider/BOs name on either website so how can anyone know who the money is for and what kind of rider they are?

Ummm...I beg to differ.

People sell things every day - it's called doing business. As far as I know business owners can spend their profits on whatever they see fit.
    ("sponsors" are 4 Training/boarding barns and one farm supply)

Here's an analogy of sorts...

So let's say I own a Walmart store and I decide I want to add a car bay to the garage so I go around to other businesses in the area and say, "hey, can you give me some stuff so I can have a silent auction to raise money for expanding my garage?". So if they give me stuff and I then use the money to pay to race my stock car, is that not kind of wrong?
    Colossal Productions and Web Design
    http://www.colossaldesign.ca

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Ummm...I beg to differ.
    When that was posted, there was no information visible just who exactly this person was, the name has been outed since then. However, the persons riding accomplishments still remain a mistery. No bigge. FYI I was the one who started this thread, I am NOT defending the BO. Please re-read.

Equitbrit - It isn't about someone raising money for themselves - not a problem, it's the fact that the person sent out a donate/sponsorship letter claiming the money would go to "help the community/expand the facility to help less fortunate riders"..... when later the BO came onto the local forum and stated the money was precisely for her training fees with BNT. The letter was very misleading, and the local paper was even given a story that this event was to raise money for the community. The BO claimed on the local forum that a co-op student gave the interview. Posters on the local forum are accusing the BO of passing the blame to Co-op student.

Very sad the thread was deleted over there.

Where is this "letter" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    When that was posted, there was no information visible just who exactly this person was, the name has been outed since then. However, the persons riding accomplishments still remain a mistery. No bigge. FYI I was the one who started this thread, I am NOT defending the BO. Please re-read.

Equitbrit - It isn't about someone raising money for themselves - not a problem, it's the fact that the person sent out a donate/sponsorship letter claiming the money would go to "help the community/expand the facility to help less fortunate riders"..... when later the BO came onto the local forum and stated the money was precisely for her training fees with BNT. The letter was very misleading, and the local paper was even given a story that this event was to raise money for the community. The BO claimed on the local forum that a co-op student gave the interview. Posters on the local forum are accusing the BO of passing the blame to Co-op student.

Very sad the thread was deleted over there.
    Sorry, yeah, I re-read. My bad for speed reading through posts, I must slow it down You're correct, there was no mention of any names on the original postings.

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Where is this "letter" ?
    I'll PM it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
    I'll PM it to you.
    Hey no fair! Please post it here or it will be like the crayola trainer's 8 page red crayon letter--lost in oblivion.