The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Another - Is this Tacky or Actually a Good Idea?

Ok, I am really curious about what you guys all think.

A small local farm in the area has been running for about a year and some. They are advertising a "Winter Festival" with tonnes of great silent auction items from a bunch of sponsors. I saw the ad for the festival posted on a local classified board and someone asked what charity the money was going to (because there is no info on the website).

The barn owner posted that the money is going to her and her farm because she has been offered to train with certain BNT and ride an ex Olympic horse and it will be very expensive so this is a good way to make the money to pay for it.

I guess if the sponsors are willing to give away things for this that is their own problem, but I find the website very vague and mentions nothing about how the money is simply going into the BOs pocket to pay for lessons. The BO states on the other forum that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity - true - but anyone can train with most BNTs for the right amount of money. The BO also mentions about having it yearly to pay for farm supplies, an arena etc when I know for a fact they can never build an arena as they are on protected land in the area and can not build. This rider has shown low level eventing and has no experience in SJ which is what she is going to be doing in this "oppotunity". They also do not have any teaching qualifications or competition record.

I think it's tacky. It seems like they are having a cash grab and disguising it to sponsors and people attending as a festival that will go to some charity. I could understand if it were funding for a short listed rider. What do you think?

I don't think it's tacky at all. It's called a benefit. School bands, cheerleaders, sports teams etc all have bake sales, car washes whatever. Granted she's not a charity or anything, but so what.
    She might could be more forthcoming about what the benefit is for, but then it's on the people handing out their cash to ask where it's going.

i kind of think it's a little tacky for you to be asking about it like this though.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I think it depends on how the person is marketing it. If she's up front that it's to benefit her/her farm, then fine. If she is implying it is going to a charitable organization, maybe she should look into working for CBER?
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    I think it depends on how the person is marketing it. If she's up front that it's to benefit her/her farm, then fine. If she is implying it is going to a charitable organization, maybe she should look into working for CBER?
    Well said. Depends how it's being presented.

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    The website says if it goes well then in the future the money will go to allow less fortunate kids to be exposed to horses. However the BO admitted it was for herself on a forum.

Ya maybe I am the one being tacky, but it bothers me when people donate thinking they are helping others but really they are supporting a farm that can't support itself.

Well, like I said, if I am going to open up my wallet and hand out some cash somewhere you can bet I'll make damn sure I know exactly where it's going and what for. If people just hand out cash and don't ask why that's their problem.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I think it's terrible that the BO is being dishonest about where the money is going.
    I'm wondering if this could be considered fraud???

I think the term "dishonest" is a little strong. To me, dishonest would be if she said the $$ was going to be donated to charity or a therapeutic riding program when it was really for her continued training. She may not be entirely forthcoming with the information on her website, but from what the OP says in the original post she has answered honestly when asked where the money is going.

Again, people need to be responsible for themselves and ask where the money is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    The website says if it goes well then in the future the money will go to allow less fortunate kids to be exposed to horses. However the BO admitted it was for herself on a forum.
    One can imagine that the BO, who cannot afford the uber-fancy lessons without subsidy, perceives herself as a less fortunate kid.

okay let me clarify as i have met the BO the OP is talking about:

The BO clearly stated on the other BB that the money was so she could ride with the BNT a once and a life oppertunity. and I and other memebers of the community are more than happy to bid at the auction and support her. If you dont like it dont go to the auction and stop whining your the only offended one, as i said everyone else supports her

OP if you were the one complaining on her post on the other BB that was rude and uncalled for as there is a better way to state your opinion without being so rude and offensive-- grow up,\ that BB is a small community and we like to support each other(everyone knows each other)
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Well, I have sponsored many a rider and horse into their endeavors - usually just with cash. I think it's different, but not a bad idea at all. It costs BIG BUCKS to ride with most BNT's

Quote Originally Posted by *Teddy* View Post
    okay let me clarify as i have met the BO the OP is talking about:

The BO clearly stated on the other BB that the money was so she could ride with the BNT a once and a life oppertunity. and I and other memebers of the community are more than happy to bid at the auction and support her. If you dont like it dont go to the auction and stop whining your the only offended one, as i said everyone else supports her

OP if you were the one complaining on her post on the other BB that was rude and uncalled for as there is a better way to state your opinion without being so rude and offensive-- grow up,\ that BB is a small community and we like to support each other(everyone knows each other)
    Ah yes she said on the bb what the $ was for which was noted by the OP, but OP also noted that on the website the $ was stated to be for underprivileged kids. Is that in fact what her website says/said?

Default To clarify more

this is what the BO posted on the other BB(names deleted by me) they want to open a thereputic riding program

Posted January 09, 2009 08:32 PM Hide Post
    Hi Guys

Sorry I don't post on here often but if you have any other questions please email me

To answer your question the money is going to help support my riding and my farm!

BNT has offered me an amazing opportunity to train with her and ride a horse that has been to the Olympics twice!! Of course this opportunity comes at a very high price so we were looking for fun ways to help me raise some money for it.

Last Saturday a friend of mine sent me a text message saying that we should have an in barn silent auction to sell off the rest of the stock from a little tack shop that I was going to have on the farm. (It was too much work so we decided not to do it.)

So it's now gone from being a little in barn thing to a huge event in a matter of days!!!

The support of the community has really blown me away I was definately not expecting this and it's amazing that many of the people and business of Barrhaven and beyond would love if we could make it a yearly thing (perhaps in the spring though!) because it's a great way to bring the community together and have some fun!!

So the idea now if all goes well we will have a yearly festival and in the future the proceeds will go toward helping us build an indoor arena and purchase all the equipment necessary to run a proper therapeutic riding program and then in the following years to help raise money for underprivileged children so they too can get a chance to ride as horses are amazing animals and help us all in there own way! \

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    If she's implying it's going to needy kids, and really it's going to her, it's beyond tacky- it's fraudulent.

eta: sorry, read further- now she's saying this auction will go to her, but they will do future auctions for needy kids?

What do the ads for this auction say?

the website doesn't claim what the money will go for. The organizer posted on another BB in response to several queries as to where the money was going.

Does it say something like "benefit" or "charity?"

It's only tacky if she implies the proceeds are going to charity.

It is not tacky to have a fund raiser to benefit one's self to take advantage of a unique and expensive training opportunity.

Saying it's tacky to raise funds for such an opportunity is like saying that it's wrong for professional GP riders to have a sponsor. After all, they are getting something for nothing, right? Uh, nooo.

I find it far more repulsive to see kids standing in the supermarket with 'donation buckets', raising money for some sports team. Yuck. It screams gimmmee gimmee, and is nearly the same as panhandleing in my eyes. Would it just kill little Jimmy to walk a dog or wash a car to raise money for the team?? I still dream about the multitude of boxes of cookies I sold in the Girl Scouts!

it doesnt say anything of benifit or charity but to help her riding and the farm and that future auctions will help them establish a thereputic program

original ad on other BB(names withheld)

Come on out and join us for;

(barn name here)
    Winter Festival & Silent Auction

Located at blank-blank

Sunday January 18th 2009 from 1 to 3pm

NEW & USED TACK AND APPAREL
    Top Brand Name Items and everything that you’ll need for next years show season!!

Bid on BNH(big name horse) Saddle Pad Autographed By BNT!!!

Free Coffee & Hot Chocolate
    Pony Rides & Activities
    Pizza
    50/50 Draw & Giveaways
    Gift Bags packed with goodies to the first 150 people!!

Many other items include: Riding Lessons with Top Coaches/Trainers, Horse Tack & Equipment, Yoga classes, Gift Baskets, Salon Products & Services and much more….

If she doesn't say it's a benefit or charity auction, I'd chalk it up to something similar to a pep squad car wash She must be quite a saleswoman to get that many stores to donate stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    If she doesn't say it's a benefit or charity auction, I'd chalk it up to something similar to a pep squad car wash She must be quite a saleswoman to get that many stores to donate stuff!
    Fair enough

Teddy - I was simply asking for opinions, I am entitled to at least that. I have heard this from several other barns in the area also, including boarders, who were curious about the money and donations. You do not have to agree with me as I do not have to agree with you. I will not be attending, nor will I be talking about it elsewhere. I posted on COTH because I value the posters opinion here and I wanted to leave things as vague as possible.